Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 152

Thread: OKC officer pulls man over for anti-Obama sign on vehicle

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: OKC officer pulls man over for anti-Obama sign on vehicle

    Moderator's Warning:
    OKC officer pulls man over for anti-Obama sign on vehicle Chill out on the personal attacks.

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Beautiful Yadkin Valley
    Last Seen
    09-26-10 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,219

    Re: OKC officer pulls man over for anti-Obama sign on vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    Or I could have been delusional like you and picked out a sentence of one of your previous arguments to make it appear that I'm right.

    Keep trying.
    No reason to "keep trying" as I've proved my point as you have so clearly demonstrated.

  3. #123
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: OKC officer pulls man over for anti-Obama sign on vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    No reason to "keep trying" as I've proved my point as you have so clearly demonstrated.
    Look, it's been said from the beginning that race wasn't mentioned anywhere in the story. You were the one that brought race into it and you've consistently failed at proving that it had anything to do with it. Then you pick one sentence out of a reply that I made to you and act like that's all I said. Not only is that disingenuous, but it's also lacks substance. I called you on it and you accused me of ad-hom attacks. Unless you can prove your assertion that race had anything to do with this story I'm not going to discuss this topic with you further. If you insist on attacking me or taking my quotes out of context I'm going to report your post and put you on ignore. Fair enough?

  4. #124
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Beautiful Yadkin Valley
    Last Seen
    09-26-10 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,219

    Re: OKC officer pulls man over for anti-Obama sign on vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    Look, it's been said from the beginning that race wasn't mentioned anywhere in the story. You were the one that brought race into it and you've consistently failed at proving that it had anything to do with it. Then you pick one sentence out of a reply that I made to you and act like that's all I said. Not only is that disingenuous, but it's also lacks substance. I called you on it and you accused me of ad-hom attacks. Unless you can prove your assertion that race had anything to do with this story I'm not going to discuss this topic with you further. If you insist on attacking me or taking my quotes out of context I'm going to report your post and put you on ignore. Fair enough?
    You have now committed a straw man.

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: OKC officer pulls man over for anti-Obama sign on vehicle

    This thread has nothing to do with race. The debatable issue is whether or not the bumper sticker insinuated a death threat to Obama. My take on it is that clearly it's not a serious death threat. But it was a blatant enough insinuation that they driver deserved a bit of bother from an officer inclined to give it to him. You're not allowed to joke about offing the Prez.

  6. #126
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: OKC officer pulls man over for anti-Obama sign on vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    This thread has nothing to do with race. The debatable issue is whether or not the bumper sticker insinuated a death threat to Obama. My take on it is that clearly it's not a serious death threat. But it was a blatant enough insinuation that they driver deserved a bit of bother from an officer inclined to give it to him. You're not allowed to joke about offing the Prez.
    It's not a joke at all, well not on the life of the President (who's just a guy, there's plenty of people in this country that can do the job...hell that's what the VP is for) and he didn't do anything to be pulled over and harassed by a cop. There was nothing there that was a serious threat on the Presidents life in the least and I don't think you should be able to be harassed and have your property taken over political commentary and dissent. Especially dissent.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: OKC officer pulls man over for anti-Obama sign on vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It's not a joke at all, well not on the life of the President (who's just a guy, there's plenty of people in this country that can do the job...hell that's what the VP is for) and he didn't do anything to be pulled over and harassed by a cop. There was nothing there that was a serious threat on the Presidents life in the least and I don't think you should be able to be harassed and have your property taken over political commentary and dissent. Especially dissent.
    You are not legally allowed to even josh around about killing the Prez. Even if you are obviously just kidding around. You can hate on the President, say all kinds of untoward crap about the guy, but you can't say he should be killed.

    I do believe there's a sound argument to made that "abort" has multiple meanings. So there is a defense to be made that the driver was not insinuating Obama should be killed. However that's a defense easily made in court. The cop was well within his rights to pull the guy over if the cop viewed the bumper sticker as suggesting Obama should be killed. Relating the term abort to kill isn't an overstretch in my opinion.

    Had the bumper sticker said Obama is a retard. Obama is a socialist monkey. Obama is a jackass etc. I'd agree with you that the cop was abusing his power and attempting to illegally squash dissent. But as abort is a term that can and often does mean kill, terminate, do away with I disagree with ya.

  8. #128
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: OKC officer pulls man over for anti-Obama sign on vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    You are not legally allowed to even josh around about killing the Prez. Even if you are obviously just kidding around. You can hate on the President, say all kinds of untoward crap about the guy, but you can't say he should be killed.
    Says who? The government...they can piss off. They don't get to make the rules. We were built upon revolution, if we were ever to revolt again we would have to talk about offing politicians. I don't agree with the law because I can make fun of anyone else, I can joke about shooting a whole long list of people. Hell, I can make the comment halfway serious without getting arrested. The President isn't anything special, he's just a guy. There should be no special rules which apply to him. If I can say something about a guy, and I can say the same thing about the President.

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    I do believe there's a sound argument to made that "abort" has multiple meanings. So there is a defense to be made that the driver was not insinuating Obama should be killed. However that's a defense easily made in court. The cop was well within his rights to pull the guy over if the cop viewed the bumper sticker as suggesting Obama should be killed. Relating the term abort to kill isn't an overstretch in my opinion.
    Cops do not have rights. Well I mean, they have rights as individuals, they don't have rights as police officer. They have privilege and duty granted to them by the People, but there is nothing inherent in the job which gives them rights. Cops must have their power checked and minimized, especially when it comes to political dissent which must be one of the most highly valued and defended of all rights. There was no credible threat posed by the bumper sticker.

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    Had the bumper sticker said Obama is a retard. Obama is a socialist monkey. Obama is a jackass etc. I'd agree with you that the cop was abusing his power and attempting to illegally squash dissent. But as abort is a term that can and often does mean kill, terminate, do away with I disagree with ya.
    A bumper sticker is a bumper sticker, it can't do anything other than express an opinion. Expressing an opinion shouldn't get you in trouble in this country nor should it mean probable cause for the authority to come down on you.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #129
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: OKC officer pulls man over for anti-Obama sign on vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Says who? The government...they can piss off. They don't get to make the rules. We were built upon revolution, if we were ever to revolt again we would have to talk about offing politicians. I don't agree with the law because I can make fun of anyone else, I can joke about shooting a whole long list of people. Hell, I can make the comment halfway serious without getting arrested. The President isn't anything special, he's just a guy. There should be no special rules which apply to him. If I can say something about a guy, and I can say the same thing about the President.



    Cops do not have rights. Well I mean, they have rights as individuals, they don't have rights as police officer. They have privilege and duty granted to them by the People, but there is nothing inherent in the job which gives them rights. Cops must have their power checked and minimized, especially when it comes to political dissent which must be one of the most highly valued and defended of all rights. There was no credible threat posed by the bumper sticker.



    A bumper sticker is a bumper sticker, it can't do anything other than express an opinion. Expressing an opinion shouldn't get you in trouble in this country nor should it mean probable cause for the authority to come down on you.
    In case you didn't know, Ikari, the First Amendment is not absolute.

    I see a pattern with you. Your opinion is your opinion, and anyone who disagrees with you is WRONG WRONG WRONG.

  10. #130
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: OKC officer pulls man over for anti-Obama sign on vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    In case you didn't know, Ikari, the First Amendment is not absolute.

    I see a pattern with you. Your opinion is your opinion, and anyone who disagrees with you is WRONG WRONG WRONG.
    I notice a pattern with you. You're willing to squash the rights of the individual if it gets you what you want. So what? Is this not a debate board? Can I not state my opinion on the matter? Sounds more like you think I'm wrong and because if it I shouldn't get to talk. Sorry that all my arguments are based in the innate and inalienable rights of the individual and that you have a problem with it, but you can either discuss it or ignore it. These little digs are the only thing you've posted at me, and it's pointless little insult and nothing more.

    And BTW, I didn't say it was unlimited. I said if I can say something about some guy, I can say the same thing about the President. That's it. Thanks for reading. kthanxbia.
    Last edited by Ikari; 02-23-09 at 03:51 PM.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •