Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 197

Thread: Philip Morris told to pay 8 mln in smoker's death

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Philip Morris told to pay 8 mln in smoker's death

    That's because Philip Morris tied the guy down, put a gun to his head, and made him smoke 3 packs a day for 30 years....

    Wait, no they didn't. Is it just me, or does anybody else see a problem with this verdict? I mean, come on, dammit. The guy had a choice, and made that choice. He shouldn't have gotten a dime.

    Article is here.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Philip Morris told to pay 8 mln in smoker's death

    I agree, this is no different then letting fat asses sue McDonalds or speeders who crash their car sue the car manufacturers or someone who cut themselves with razor blades sue the razor blade manufacture. I hope they appeal this decision.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #3
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Philip Morris told to pay 8 mln in smoker's death

    I think that our legal system has lost all its sanity.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #4
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Philip Morris told to pay 8 mln in smoker's death

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    That's because Philip Morris tied the guy down, put a gun to his head, and made him smoke 3 packs a day for 30 years....

    Wait, no they didn't. Is it just me, or does anybody else see a problem with this verdict? I mean, come on, dammit. The guy had a choice, and made that choice. He shouldn't have gotten a dime.

    Article is here.
    We all know much the apster hates smoking and likes to see it when cigarette companies suffer from their disgusting product. However, I blame the smoker in these type of cases. $8 million? Are you kidding me? And the wife says it wasn't about the money. Bull****, you stupid wench.

    Rant done.

  5. #5
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Philip Morris told to pay 8 mln in smoker's death

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I think that our legal system has lost all its sanity.
    It really has. The things people sue over these days. It's pathetic.

  6. #6
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Philip Morris told to pay 8 mln in smoker's death

    I've instructed my wife to sue the hammer company after I beat myself to death with a hammer.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  7. #7
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Philip Morris told to pay 8 mln in smoker's death

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    I've instructed my wife to sue the hammer company after I beat myself to death with a hammer.



    I've instructed my wife to smoke a carton a day.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  8. #8
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Philip Morris told to pay 8 mln in smoker's death

    Absolutely insane and a very, very dangerous precedent.

    Okay, if I die paddling a river, I think someone should sue this 'god' people speak of. I mean, 'he' made the river, right? IT'S ALL HIS FAULT!!!! And you KNOW he's gotta be rich.

    So many lawsuits should just be tossed out of court. Like the one in the OP. You know, we aren't allowed to call Life Jackets "Life Jackets" because of a lawsuit. They have to be called "Personal Floatation Devices" , and we have to point out that they MAY not save someone's life. Why? Because some dude paddled a river and died. His wife sued the Life Jacket company because the jacket didn't save his life. (He hit his head on a rock) She won. She ****ing WON. So now, no more "life jackets".

  9. #9
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Philip Morris told to pay 8 mln in smoker's death

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Absolutely insane and a very, very dangerous precedent.

    Okay, if I die paddling a river, I think someone should sue this 'god' people speak of. I mean, 'he' made the river, right? IT'S ALL HIS FAULT!!!! And you KNOW he's gotta be rich.

    So many lawsuits should just be tossed out of court. Like the one in the OP. You know, we aren't allowed to call Life Jackets "Life Jackets" because of a lawsuit. They have to be called "Personal Floatation Devices" , and we have to point out that they MAY not save someone's life. Why? Because some dude paddled a river and died. His wife sued the Life Jacket company because the jacket didn't save his life. (He hit his head on a rock) She won. She ****ing WON. So now, no more "life jackets".
    That is crazy! Talk about the dumbing down of America.

    Call them Death Vests just to cover your ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Philip Morris told to pay 8 mln in smoker's death

    Okay...I hate stupid lawsuits but I can see this on one condition: the premise of the suit was that the man began smoking BEFORE the tobacco companies released information (which they would have had to withhold knowing the dangers) on how deadly their product is.

    That's the only way I can see this being legitimate.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •