Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 197

Thread: Philip Morris told to pay 8 mln in smoker's death

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Philip Morris told to pay 8 mln in smoker's death

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    So its not really almost impossible to quit, is it?
    It's difficult. And for some people, it is impossible without costly intervention by a medical professional.

    Addiction is one of the most stigmatized and least understood illnesses.

  2. #62
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: Philip Morris told to pay 8 mln in smoker's death

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    It's difficult. And for some people, it is impossible without costly intervention by a medical professional.

    Addiction is one of the most stigmatized and least understood illnesses.
    I think Rush Limbaugh would agree.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #63
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,719

    Re: Philip Morris told to pay 8 mln in smoker's death

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I think Rush Limbaugh would agree.
    LOL. You're on a roll today.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: Philip Morris told to pay 8 mln in smoker's death

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    How in the WORLD is it ever the suppliers fault for the way the buyer uses an item? Is it the gun manufacturer's fault if someone buys a gun and kills someone?
    False analogy. Someone else used the product on someone else with full awareness of the possible results.

    Is it Little Debbie's fault if someone eats themselves into obesity with their lunchcakes?
    False analogy. Someone used a product that has no addictive substance in it. The company didn't lie and hide the dangers of it's product. Someone used a product with full awareness of the possible results.

    Is it Doritoes' fault if someone's cholesterol is too high?
    False analogy. Someone used a product that has no addictive substance in it. The company didn't lie and hide the dangers of it's product. Someone used a product with full awareness of the possible results.

    How about the pharmaceutical companies' fault for selling addictive drugs?
    Yes, especially if they lied about and or hid the dangers of the product.

    Oh, what about coffee manufacturers? They sell an addictive drug that most of the fricken country is addicted to. Is it THEIR fault that people continue to drink more and more coffee and raise their blood pressure and cause damage to their hearts?
    Semi-relevant analogy except that coffee manufacturers didn't lie about or hide the dangers of their product.

    **** no it's not. It's NOT the supplier's fault for what the buyer chooses to do with what they buy. Not ever. And in no way should we have this extremely dangerous precedent in our court system.

    It's a travesty of "justice" and is only going to set the stage for more of them. More idiots who refuse to accept responsibility for their actions. More pathetic fools who think that something is always someone elses fault and someone else should pay for their own stupidity.

    I cannot BELIEVE that people actually support that ****.
    How about people who got heart problems from NSADs like Vioxx?
    How about people injured in a Pinto that blew up?
    How about people who got Mesothelioma from asbestos?
    Are these people also "idiots who refuse to accept responsibility for their actions."? No one forced them to drive a pinto or take Vioxx or work with asbestos...

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    As someone with an addiction who DID just "toss it away like a plastic fork", I have no sympathy for someone who continues smoking when they know the risks.
    So, how come you aren't the President of the USA? Or a Billionaire like Bill Gates? Obviously you believe everyone is the same and if you could do it so can everyone else. So are you just too lazy? I guess you believe all those people without jobs should just get off their asses and get to work because you have a job right? Aren't you being a little bit like a rightwinger in your argument? Where's your empathy for the plight of your neighbor? Just because you were able to quit doesn't mean the guy next door has the same fortitude or will power as you. Is that his fault and should he be punished for it, especially when he was lied to about the effects of smoking?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    You mean like alcohol, caffeine, prescription drugs, chocolate, fast food, fatty junk food, so on and so forth?
    No, like one of the most addictive substances known to man, who's dangers weren't just hidden from the consumer but were lied about.
    Last edited by Slippery Slope; 02-20-09 at 07:02 PM.

  5. #65
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Philip Morris told to pay 8 mln in smoker's death

    This is asinine on so many levels. That's coming from a smoker, to boot. I know what I am getting myself into and I sure as hell will not blame anyone else for problems I bring on myself.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: Philip Morris told to pay 8 mln in smoker's death

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    So its not really almost impossible to quit, is it?
    It's almost impossible to quit. Just like I said.

  7. #67
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Philip Morris told to pay 8 mln in smoker's death

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    False analogy. Someone else used the product on someone else with full awareness of the possible results.
    As does anyone who smokes.

    False analogy. Someone used a product that has no addictive substance in it. The company didn't lie and hide the dangers of it's product. Someone used a product with full awareness of the possible results.
    As does anyone who smokes.

    False analogy. Someone used a product that has no addictive substance in it. The company didn't lie and hide the dangers of it's product. Someone used a product with full awareness of the possible results.
    As does anyone who smokes.

    Yes, especially if they lied about and or hid the dangers of the product.
    The dangers of smoking have been well known since at least '65.

    Semi-relevant analogy except that coffee manufacturers didn't lie about or hide the dangers of their product.
    The dangers of smoking have been well known since at least '65.

    How about people who got heart problems from NSADs like Vioxx?
    Don't even get me started on Vioxx. It pisses me off to no ****ing end that they took my medication off the shelves. If I could wring the person's neck who did it, I would.

    How about people injured in a Pinto that blew up?
    How about people who got Mesothelioma from asbestos?
    Are these people also "idiots who refuse to accept responsibility for their actions."? No one forced them to drive a pinto or take Vioxx or work with asbestos...
    How about people that smoke and completely aware of the risks? Like, anyone who has been smoking since 1965.

    So, how come you aren't the President of the USA? Or a Billionaire like Bill Gates? Obviously you believe everyone is the same and if you could do it so can everyone else. So are you just too lazy?
    Let's see:
    Don't want to be
    Don't have the skills to
    WAY too ****ing lazy

    I guess you believe all those people without jobs should just get off their asses and get to work because you have a job right?
    Actually, I'm currently unemployed. But yes, most of the people unemployed could be employed if they really wished to be.

    Aren't you being a little bit like a rightwinger in your argument? Where's your empathy for the plight of your neighbor?
    I have no empathy for people who harm themselves and then whine that it's someone else's fault.

    Just because you were able to quit doesn't mean the guy next door has the same fortitude or will power as you. Is that his fault and should he be punished for it, especially when he was lied to about the effects of smoking?
    Of course it's his fault he doesn't quit smoking. It's NO ONE'S fault but the person smoking. Is it anyone else's fault that he lacks the willpower to quit? Nope. No one but his own.

    Lied to about the effects of smoking? When? Warning labels have been present for the last 45 years. There is no excuse for ignorance on the topic. NONE.

    No, like one of the most addictive substances known to man, who's dangers weren't just hidden from the consumer but were lied about.
    Not since 1965.

  8. #68
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Philip Morris told to pay 8 mln in smoker's death

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    So its not really almost impossible to quit, is it?
    No kidding. All the many thousands of people who quit and geee... it's just damn near impossible to do! I wonder how so many fricken people beat those impossible odds?

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Philip Morris told to pay 8 mln in smoker's death

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    No kidding. All the many thousands of people who quit and geee... it's just damn near impossible to do! I wonder how so many fricken people beat those impossible odds?
    This lawsuit wasn't about all those people. It was about this one person.

  10. #70
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Philip Morris told to pay 8 mln in smoker's death

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    This lawsuit wasn't about all those people. It was about this one person.
    oh please.

    It's not anywhere NEAR impossible to do. FOR ANYONE. Hard, yes. Impossible? Not even close.

    No person will get sympathy from me for lacking the willpower to stop killing themselves. Neither will I ever in a million years agree that someone (or their families) should be PAID because they lack the willpower to stop killing themselves.

    Poor Mr. Smith. We should pay him millions of dollars because he's so weak he can't stop killing himself. Gimme a break.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •