Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
Results 191 to 197 of 197

Thread: Philip Morris told to pay 8 mln in smoker's death

  1. #191
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Philip Morris told to pay 8 mln in smoker's death

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    So you can't explain it then?
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  2. #192
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Philip Morris told to pay 8 mln in smoker's death

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    try rereading that without your pointy hat on, and replace the phrase "drug dealer" with "tobacco company" (since they are essentially the same thing)
    Nope tobacco doesn't cause the same social devastation. It kills a minority of people who are silly enough to smoke mostly in middle age. Not quite the same thing. I'm not some atomistic individualist, I don't believe you can do anything that you want like smoke crack even if it has a massively negative effect on society but I'm very cautious about where this line should be and smoking just doesn't cut it.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  3. #193
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Philip Morris told to pay 8 mln in smoker's death

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    For some people it is impossible. The evidence is the numnber of people who've tried and failed.
    Maybe they shouldn't have started then.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  4. #194
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Philip Morris told to pay 8 mln in smoker's death

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    Do you even have any clue what your country and mine would look like if we just let sick people die? Isn't having cancer enough punishment do we need to say, well you gave yourself cancer and... oh yeah, since you can't afford someone to take care of you, you'll just have to lay in your piss and ****, in an alley somewhere and starve to death, Sorry!
    People die all the time. They can get treatment, they can take out insurance, save up, appeal to charity, I'd probably donate, or perhaps smoking taxes could got towards their treatment but they should be responsible for their choices and others should not be forced to pay for them. I do think they should have a chance to quit but if they continue then that is their choice and they must accept the consequences.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  5. #195
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Philip Morris told to pay 8 mln in smoker's death

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Your argument falls completely apart when one considers the reality that the tobacco industry made pointed efforts to intentionally hide the effects of their product.

    I don't think you can say the same of the Anhauser-Busch company. Or any alcohol manufaturer.
    Yes but the dangers are now well known. That is not an argument for the vast majority of smokers in the West today.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  6. #196
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Philip Morris told to pay 8 mln in smoker's death

    The dangers of smoking were not well know in the 40s - then, our government encouraged this filthy habit..Men with intellect, even some of them smoked and supposedly enjoyed it..
    In the 50s and 60s, it was discovered that smoking was dangerous - this was and still is ignored..
    In the 60s and 70s, the tobacco companies must have known about the dangers and probably tryed to use the cover-up ploy...this may have been wrong; but the dangers were so evident and obvious
    Now, finally even the man with average intelligence has stopped, but those who can least afford this, the poor and ignorant continue...thats their problem..
    Unless a man has a single digit IQ, he must be responsible for his actions, including smoking.
    It is wrong, dead wrong for anyone, any legislator or judge to allow any lawsuit that switches the responsibility to a tobacco company.....
    Our nation is weakened when irresponsible behavior is rewarded rather than condemned..

  7. #197
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Philip Morris told to pay 8 mln in smoker's death

    Quote Originally Posted by azura28 View Post
    Why are you just addressing tobacco??!! What is your deal? You don't consider alcohol addictive and not a drug because you and others like a drink now and then but hate cigarette smoke? You should not have it both ways.

    You want to put blame on the tobacco companies but not a budweiser company because they made an alcoholic out of a person. What is the reasoning behind this? You can't do one without the other and alcohol is far more dangerous. It can just take seconds to kill several people in one accident.
    Please read the entire thread before posting. I clearly said in several posts that alcohol is also problematic.

    Quote Originally Posted by azura28 View Post
    There is no reasoning to this.... none...when you exclude alcohol from this argument.
    You'd be right if that's what I actually did.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •