Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 53

Thread: Broward County School Board sets homework limits

  1. #11
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Broward County School Board sets homework limits

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Why are you bitching about a bible thumping school? How much Bible thumping did they really do, be honest?
    I went to a Lutheran School where the religion teacher thought any one other than Lutherans were in a cult.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Broward County School Board sets homework limits

    Quote Originally Posted by DeeJayH View Post
    my son drove me nuts
    he refused to take notes in high school
    That's cause high school in this country is pathetically easy. We should strengthen out educational standards.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #13
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Broward County School Board sets homework limits

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    That's cause high school in this country is pathetically easy. We should strengthen out educational standards.
    Heck my high school wasn't easy. We had to do trig, Shakespeare and more. And this was a public school.

  4. #14
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Broward County School Board sets homework limits

    Quote Originally Posted by DeeJayH View Post
    my son drove me nuts
    he refused to take notes in high school
    I would absolutely refuse to take notes in high school as well because I'm an auditory learner and if I was writing, I wasn't fully listening. And the thing is, I have a freakish memory for the things I hear.

    One genius of an English teacher my junior year made the mistake of trying to "prove" that people forget 60% of what they hear in a day because I would refuse to take notes in her class.

    To "prove" her point she decided to read two pages from a book in front of the class and have everyone take notes, knowing full well that I wouldn't, and then ask students to say all the things they remember from the passage.

    Well, most kids replied with bits and pieces from the story, and when she got to me, I closed my eyes and recited the story verbatim.

    Her jaw literally dropped and the rest of the class was like "Holy ****!".

    She was not pleased and snipped, "Well, you'll forget 60% of it by tomorrow."

    So my smartassed response was, "Did anyone else manage to get 100% of it today? I seriously doubt it. And I wonder how many people actually managed to get a full 40% of it into their notes, which is how much I should remember tomorrow if you are correct. But I'll even go a step further, I guarantee I can recite the whole thing again tommorow."

    She said there was no way, so that created the challenge. I went through the rest of the day, reciting it in my head and walked into class the next day, stood on my desk and recited it perfectly.

    That teacher HATED me.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  5. #15
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Broward County School Board sets homework limits

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Heck my high school wasn't easy. We had to do trig, Shakespeare and more. And this was a public school.
    The only thing you can say that is hard in high school is trig and calculus. The other stuff has been explained ad naseum that there is always a reference somewhere about it.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #16
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Broward County School Board sets homework limits

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Heck my high school wasn't easy. We had to do trig, Shakespeare and more. And this was a public school.
    Trig...that's nothing more than sine and cosine. I took calculus my senior year in high school. Beginning calculus is 100% within the realm of high school....trig, that's for Jr. High.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #17
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Broward County School Board sets homework limits

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I would absolutely refuse to take notes in high school as well because I'm an auditory learner and if I was writing, I wasn't fully listening. And the thing is, I have a freakish memory for the things I hear.

    One genius of an English teacher my junior year made the mistake of trying to "prove" that people forget 60% of what they hear in a day because I would refuse to take notes in her class.

    To "prove" her point she decided to read two pages from a book in front of the class and have everyone take notes, knowing full well that I wouldn't, and then ask students to say all the things they remember from the passage.

    Well, most kids replied with bits and pieces from the story, and when she got to me, I closed my eyes and recited the story verbatim.

    Her jaw literally dropped and the rest of the class was like "Holy ****!".

    She was not pleased and snipped, "Well, you'll forget 60% of it by tomorrow."

    So my smartassed response was, "Did anyone else manage to get 100% of it today? I seriously doubt it. And I wonder how many people actually managed to get a full 40% of it into their notes, which is how much I should remember tomorrow if you are correct. But I'll even go a step further, I guarantee I can recite the whole thing again tommorow."

    She said there was no way, so that created the challenge. I went through the rest of the day, reciting it in my head and walked into class the next day, stood on my desk and recited it perfectly.

    That teacher HATED me.
    Thats me to, I only take notes to stay awake in some classes now.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #18
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Broward County School Board sets homework limits

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Trig...that's nothing more than sine and cosine. I took calculus my senior year in high school. Beginning calculus is 100% within the realm of high school....trig, that's for Jr. High.
    Math was not my strongest subject

  9. #19
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Broward County School Board sets homework limits

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Math was not my strongest subject
    Just remember that even calculus or any math boils down to +,-,x, and /. It's just orginised in crazy steps.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #20
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Broward County School Board sets homework limits

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Math was not my strongest subject
    Math isn't pushed hard enough in school, that's how it becomes "not a strong subject". There's nothing tough about algebra or trigonometry or any of it. It's just rearranging a bunch of stuff or drawing pictures.

    I think kids get it pretty easy these days because a lot of the feel good PC police got into the school districts. But while our college education is top notch (some of the best in the world), or standard K-12 is fairly weak. I think we need to step up the science, math, and art education in primary school. We may find that we ourselves start pumping out some better scientists and engineers if we do.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •