Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Spy chief: We risk a police state

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,732

    Spy chief: We risk a police state

    A surprising statement, considering that the person who made that statement the other day is no less than the former head of MI5 in Britain, and what she said applies just as much to America. The issue of terrorism can be used in 2 ways to deprive us of our cherished liberties:

    1) Thugs can use the security issue in order to gain power. Adolph Hitler was a prime example.

    2) However, just as dangerous, as well as much more common is the good-intentioned nation which becomes a nanny in order to "protect us". This is even more insidious because we won't see it coming until it is too late. At least Hitler made no bones about his agenda. Seemingly nice leaders here at home, believing they are doing a "good deed" for their countrymen, have the capability of instituting a police state too, and once the deed is done, it is very difficult to reverse.

    Benjamin Franklin had it right all along, but do we? If we should ever get to the point where we deserve neither liberty nor safety, then we are no longer Americans, and this is no longer America.

    Article is here.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Spy chief: We risk a police state

    What do you mean risk? We're mostly there already.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,935

    Re: Spy chief: We risk a police state

    A definition of police state should be given here. One could say we are one now. Smile, your on Candid Camera!
    It's nothing more than X's and O's.

  4. #4
    Sage
    bhkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    08-13-10 @ 01:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: Spy chief: We risk a police state

    Our insistence on a liberal application of civil liberties does wonders for those who wish to spy on us. It gives them the justification they need.

    OBL 11/24/02

  5. #5
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Spy chief: We risk a police state

    Quote Originally Posted by rhinefire View Post
    A definition of police state should be given here. One could say we are one now. Smile, your on Candid Camera!
    You could say it, but it wouldn't be true.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Spy chief: We risk a police state

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    A surprising statement, considering that the person who made that statement the other day is no less than the former head of MI5 in Britain, and what she said applies just as much to America. The issue of terrorism can be used in 2 ways to deprive us of our cherished liberties:

    1) Thugs can use the security issue in order to gain power. Adolph Hitler was a prime example.

    2) However, just as dangerous, as well as much more common is the good-intentioned nation which becomes a nanny in order to "protect us". This is even more insidious because we won't see it coming until it is too late. At least Hitler made no bones about his agenda. Seemingly nice leaders here at home, believing they are doing a "good deed" for their countrymen, have the capability of instituting a police state too, and once the deed is done, it is very difficult to reverse.

    Benjamin Franklin had it right all along, but do we? If we should ever get to the point where we deserve neither liberty nor safety, then we are no longer Americans, and this is no longer America.

    Article is here.
    I'd say that the U.K. already is a police state.

    Used to be that when the people of the U.K. had weapons the police didn't, now the police have been issued weapons and the people don't have them.

    On top of that London has the most government video cameras in the world "protecting" its citizens.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #7
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    05-13-11 @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,075
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Spy chief: We risk a police state

    Having been raised in the UK, I would tend to agree that that society is as heavily over supervised as is the US wherein I now dwell.
    To decide whether a society is or is not free, simply discover the magnitude of that Nations Prison population.

  8. #8
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Spy chief: We risk a police state

    Orwell could have told you this.

    For Example: Politics and the English Language.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  9. #9
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,008

    Re: Spy chief: We risk a police state

    Quote Originally Posted by bhkad View Post
    Our insistence on a liberal application of civil liberties does wonders for those who wish to spy on us. It gives them the justification they need.
    So a good reason that people spy on us is because we complain about them taking the initiative to initially spy on us.... GENIUS.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •