Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 197

Thread: Chavez now can reelect himself for life

  1. #131
    Student Radical Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Palm Harbor, FL USA
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    209

    Re: Chavez now can reelect himself for life

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Your not advocating caution, that would be a Conservative way of looking at the problem. You are advocating invading countries on the flimsiest of pretexts for ideological reasons which is a very liberal ideal.
    When did I say we needed to invade them? Only if he tries to fight us. All I said was choke him out and support his enemies. Big difference. If Venezuela posed a military threat to us I would absolutely support blowing the sh*t out of them.
    Last edited by Radical Ron; 02-20-09 at 12:59 AM.
    You're despicable! - Daffy Duck

  2. #132
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Chavez now can reelect himself for life

    Quote Originally Posted by Radical Ron View Post
    When did I say we needed to invade them? Only if he tries to fight us. All I said was choke him out and support his enemies. Big difference. If Venezuela posed a military threat to us I would absolutely support blowing the sh*t out of them.
    You support aggressive interventionist action for ideological reasons. My critique still stands.

    No but they are doing the same thing as the United States. Getting involved and trying to gather inteligence to assess future problems and events.
    So? What are you talking about?
    That's what America's doing with Chavez. Did I ever say we were going to invade them because he won this election????
    No you said we should take aggressive interventionist action based on ideological reasons.
    Perhaps on your side of the pond. Here in America, it is very common for conservatives to push these agendas (i.e. Iraq) and it's pretty strange that such a smart guy like you would have forgotten something as monumental as.....I dunno, the Bush Administration.
    I know it is common but it is still not Conservative, it is liberal and an example of a large portion of so called Conservatives conforming to liberal ideological idiocy. My whole point is based on such action as the Iraq idiocy and reminding people that that had nothing to do with real Conservatism, in a meaningful, Burkean sense.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  3. #133
    Student Radical Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Palm Harbor, FL USA
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    209

    Re: Chavez now can reelect himself for life

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    You support aggressive interventionist action for ideological reasons. My critique still stands.
    You are welcome to your opinion. I am not Hugo Chavez.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    So? What are you talking about?
    It just doesn't seem like what you said has any real relevance or pertainance to the topic. Just seems like you are on the attack, if you could give me an example of what you mean maybe it would make sense. But for now it honestly just seems like babble. In one breath you say China and Russia are not behaving this way, in the next you say they are and it doesn't matter.
    please explain.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    No you said we should take aggressive interventionist action based on ideological reasons.
    Is national security an ideology? That's what confuses me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    I know it is common but it is still not Conservative, it is liberal and an example of a large portion of so called Conservatives conforming to liberal ideological idiocy. My whole point is based on such action as the Iraq idiocy and reminding people that that had nothing to do with real Conservatism, in a meaningful, Burkean sense.
    That's fine. Like I said I am not someone who can be pushed into a liberal or conservative label. I am not a partisan and only follow my own agenda.
    Last edited by Radical Ron; 02-20-09 at 02:15 AM.
    You're despicable! - Daffy Duck

  4. #134
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Chavez now can reelect himself for life

    Quote Originally Posted by Radical Ron View Post

    It just doesn't seem like what you said has any real relevance or pertainance to the topic. Just seems like you are on the attack, if you could give me an example of what you mean maybe it would make sense. But for now it honestly just seems like babble. In one breath you say China and Russia are not behaving this way, in the next you say they are and it doesn't matter.
    please explain.....
    What are you talking about? I have been quite clear. It is you who is making little sense and moving the goalposts. You have dropped your original more overt ideological stuff it seems and are now arguing from a different position.

    Is national security an ideology? That's what confuses me.
    What are you talking about? This is what I mean. Your original comments were based on your ideological differences with Chavez and your disapproval of what he does in his own country. Now you have switched to the slightly safer position of slightly stupidly pretending he is a threat to the US or something. Make up your mind and make a decent argument.


    That's fine. Like I said I am not someone who can be pushed into a liberal or conservative label. I am not a partisan and only follow my own agenda.
    Good for you but you foreign policy is, or at least was before you seemed to switch positions, seemingly a liberal, ideological one. You sounded exactly like Vader and agreed with him, which wasn't a good sign. He think Chavez is going to the be the next Hitler and needs to be invaded now to stop tyranny in his country and surrounding areas.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  5. #135
    Student Radical Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Palm Harbor, FL USA
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    209

    Re: Chavez now can reelect himself for life

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    What are you talking about? I have been quite clear. It is you who is making little sense and moving the goalposts. You have dropped your original more overt ideological stuff it seems and are now arguing from a different position.
    I don't want to take military action off of the table. Yes I disagree with Chavez's ideology. No that is not why I think military action should be taken off of the table. I feel he is a military threat to American interests.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    What are you talking about? This is what I mean. Your original comments were based on your ideological differences with Chavez and your disapproval of what he does in his own country. Now you have switched to the slightly safer position of slightly stupidly pretending he is a threat to the US or something. Make up your mind and make a decent argument.
    If Chavez was a capitalist and a beacon of freedom in South America it would not change my opinion of him as a threat. He has made perfectly clear his hostilities to America and her allies in the region. His belief system (as much as I disagree with it) is not my motivation. It is the protection of American interests. I don't see how you could interpret that as a poor arguement. I don't think I've really flip-flopped. Sorry if you were confused.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Good for you but you foreign policy is, or at least was before you seemed to switch positions, seemingly a liberal, ideological one. You sounded exactly like Vader and agreed with him, which wasn't a good sign. He think Chavez is going to the be the next Hitler and needs to be invaded now to stop tyranny in his country and surrounding areas.
    Vader doesn't seem like a liberal to me. I don't think that Chavez is Hitler. I think he just wants control over other resources, and he supports rebellions our nations allies. (i.e. FARC)
    You're despicable! - Daffy Duck

  6. #136
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Chavez now can reelect himself for life

    Quote Originally Posted by Radical Ron View Post
    I don't want to take military action off of the table. Yes I disagree with Chavez's ideology. No that is not why I think military action should be taken off of the table. I feel he is a military threat to American interests.
    That is not ideological then, if that is your real position, it is just silly.



    If Chavez was a capitalist and a beacon of freedom in South America it would not change my opinion of him as a threat. He has made perfectly clear his hostilities to America and her allies in the region. His belief system (as much as I disagree with it) is not my motivation. It is the protection of American interests. I don't see how you could interpret that as a poor arguement. I don't think I've really flip-flopped. Sorry if you were confused.
    He has made a few speeches, exactly how he properly threatens US interests I have no idea.

    Vader doesn't seem like a liberal to me. I don't think that Chavez is Hitler. I think he just wants control over other resources, and he supports rebellions our nations allies. (i.e. FARC)
    Vader is liberal, in the sense of supporting liberal, humanitarian interventionist strategies to the core when it comes to foreign policies. He seems to have a list of places he'd love to see invaded for what are basically ideological reasons.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  7. #137
    Student Radical Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Palm Harbor, FL USA
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    209

    Re: Chavez now can reelect himself for life

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    That is not ideological then, if that is your real position, it is just silly.
    At least we've come to the point that it not an ideology conflict! YAY!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Vader is liberal, in the sense of supporting liberal, humanitarian interventionist strategies to the core when it comes to foreign policies. He seems to have a list of places he'd love to see invaded for what are basically ideological reasons.
    Can't argue with that but I can't support it either. Are you in Austrailia?
    You're despicable! - Daffy Duck

  8. #138
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Chavez now can reelect himself for life

    Quote Originally Posted by Radical Ron View Post
    Can't argue with that but I can't support it either. Are you in Austrailia?
    Yes, Sydney.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  9. #139
    Student Radical Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Palm Harbor, FL USA
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    209

    Re: Chavez now can reelect himself for life

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Yes, Sydney.
    Nice. Austrailia is pretty sweet. How does the Aussie media portray these events?
    You're despicable! - Daffy Duck

  10. #140
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Chavez now can reelect himself for life

    Quote Originally Posted by Radical Ron View Post
    Nice. Austrailia is pretty sweet. How does the Aussie media portray these events?
    I don't think most people here very interested.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •