Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 65 of 65

Thread: Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Phrases which refered to science as something that operates on its own and as scientists and science as something outside society and social forces were where I got the impression from.
    What I meant was, scientific curiosity takes precedents over the fears of groups that don't want advancements to happen. Scientists exist to discover new knowledge, but they aren't social policy makers. That is the function of government.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    I was talking more of technology and scientific research. I'd decentralise them by decentralising society, industry and gov't. They are dominated, but not monopolised of course I'm not saying that, by the large-scale, authoritarian and centralist institutions that dominate industry and gov't specifically the ever-present centralised state and the large economic concern. By developing techology to aid a more decentralised industry and society and by developing this society I'd aim to overcome a centralised of power over technology and science that is as dangerous as any over such accumulation of power, particularly unaccountable power.
    I see your point, but I think it's a little too late for that... unless we have a global apocalypse that sets everything back to the point where we could rebuild in a different way. As it stands, new advancements will continue, and humanity will hopefully continue to have the ability to compensate for these developments.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    So I'm basically making two points: One that technology should be more decentralised working on the principles that E.F Scumacher put forth; and two we should not aim for as fast technological change as possible but one that is slow enough so that science and technology can really serve a stable, healthy society rather than making it unstable and where more and more technology is not looked upon as the solution everything.
    I agree with this. Too many people view science and technology as the solution, just like a lot of people view money as the solution. At the core, we need community and human ingenuity to examine problems and create sustainable solutions. Technology is simply a means of implementing our own thought processes, but it in of itself cannot generate ideas.

    The problem is that the issues plaguing the modern world are huge. The population continues to rise, the climate is changing, new diseases are threatening to wipe us out, food shortages are starting to happen, etc. Technological advancement provides a solution to these problems, however, it is humans who must understand the problems first in order to implement a solution which is partly technological. I do think though that the core problem is human nature... fear and greed are the two human tendencies which are driving the world down a dangerous path at the moment.

  2. #62
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,003

    Re: Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

    RESIDENT EVIL.... SIIIIiiixx.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  3. #63
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    What I meant was, scientific curiosity takes precedents over the fears of groups that don't want advancements to happen.
    I see no reason for this. Surely the good of society should take precedent over all of them.

    Scientists exist to discover new knowledge, but they aren't social policy makers. That is the function of government.
    Again who says?

    I see your point, but I think it's a little too late for that... unless we have a global apocalypse that sets everything back to the point where we could rebuild in a different way. As it stands, new advancements will continue, and humanity will hopefully continue to have the ability to compensate for these developments.
    Well I certainly would not rule out such an event but I certainly think we can try and push technology like society in a more decentralised and democratic direction. The likes of Lewis Mumford and Kropotkin and Bookchin have some very interesting proposals that make a lot of sense. I do agree that the sooner the better is probably a wise maxim in this area.


    I agree with this. Too many people view science and technology as the solution, just like a lot of people view money as the solution. At the core, we need community and human ingenuity to examine problems and create sustainable solutions. Technology is simply a means of implementing our own thought processes, but it in of itself cannot generate ideas.
    I agree.

    The problem is that the issues plaguing the modern world are huge. The population continues to rise, the climate is changing, new diseases are threatening to wipe us out, food shortages are starting to happen, etc. Technological advancement provides a solution to these problems, however, it is humans who must understand the problems first in order to implement a solution which is partly technological. I do think though that the core problem is human nature... fear and greed are the two human tendencies which are driving the world down a dangerous path at the moment.
    Well firstly many of those problems were caused by reckless rushing into the use of new technological fixes to older problems or at least made worse by it, so while I certainly think a moderate, decentralised use of technology may aid in the solution of some I would caution against a view that puts our hope in new and particularly large-scale, centralised technofixes as these seem to create more problems that then need solving.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

    Wessex, this is getting too subjective for me, so I have to relate back to the topic at hand. Because you brought up science moving too fast and undemocratically, I can only assume that you think the "rebooting" of the immune system and using stem cells to reconstruct it is far too advanced for society it handle, or something along those lines.

    I think this procedure is a good thing and will offer new hope to a lot of people with a lot of different illnesses. I'm just wondering how widespread it will truly become, not because of social pressures, but because of the pharmaceutical industry. If stem cells can potentially cure AIDS and cancer, then the need for expensive medications will decline.

    It will be interesting to see how this unfolds, but at any rate, the procedure, if it works, will only continue to be refined, and will not be tossed out due to conservative fears.

  5. #65
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    Wessex, this is getting too subjective for me, so I have to relate back to the topic at hand. Because you brought up science moving too fast and undemocratically, I can only assume that you think the "rebooting" of the immune system and using stem cells to reconstruct it is far too advanced for society it handle, or something along those lines.
    .
    I don't know what you mean by subjective. The modern way of looking at technology is not absolute, independent or objective. I'm not sure what I think about this sort of thing. I don't think it should be top of our priorities. You talk of the cancer rate increasing, I'd personally like to try and sort out a less, stressful, more healthy lifestyle in the West which might bring down such a rate somewhat rather than flinging technology at the problem and hoping it goes away.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •