Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 65

Thread: Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

  1. #31
    Advisor Keorythe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    08-05-14 @ 03:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    440

    Re: Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by JMak View Post
    Qualifier - I am not a scientists, so bear with me.

    I thought that immune system stem cells were only available from bone marrow.

    Nonetheless, are adult stem cells commonly harvested from cord blood? I thought that the answer was no.
    Nope, umbilical cord or "cord cells" are purely adult SC. In a nutshell its the mother's body producing these cells along with the other nutrient rich cells located within the umbilical cord. The research which discovered this, led to easier adult SC collection where as bone marrow extraction was much more difficult.

    Embryonic stem cells are from, well....embryos. And currently they're still trying to get over those little cancer-like issues associated with them.

    Lerxst: So are you of the opinion that morality and medical research ethics do not overlap at some point?
    Freedom is... never more than one generation away from extinction. Every generation has to learn how to protect and defend it, or itís gone and gone for a long, long time- Ronald Reagan

  2. #32
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    You really need a better avatar.
    You really need a lot of help.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  3. #33
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Proving my point once again. You labeled yourself Independent.
    He said liberal-leaning. That would imply that he is a liberal-leaning Independent.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  4. #34
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,400

    Re: Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by Keorythe View Post

    Lerxst: So are you of the opinion that morality and medical research ethics do not overlap at some point?
    I think they do, but I don't really care about the "embryo is a living person" argument. I'm speaking specifically to the pro-life/pro-choice argument that infects stem cell research.
    *insert profound statement here*

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-24-09 @ 08:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    964

    Re: Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    You're missing the point.

    Apparently, transplanting stem cells is risky business. However even there is promising results from the transplanting of stem cells, then there is only the matter of tweaking it around.
    I remember reading a few years ago an article that talked how a certain type of treatment dramatically reduced the growth rate of Cancers in HUMAN patients; the hype was really high, however nothing really came out of the treatment why? Because people expect good results to automatically transform into in-practice treatment methods that work all the time. That just is not possible. Projects even with the best of results, or the worst of results, are always built upon and built upon and built upon and built upon.
    That is right. I remember the first heart transplant by doctor Barnard and the patient died in a few days, but it was promising and hope was raised up.
    The first patient died after 18 days, the second patient died after 19 months and actually new patients live years and years thanks to heart transplants around the world.

    Such stem cell transplant has already gave very good news for humanity.

  6. #36
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke[MaxX] View Post
    Before we perfected the techniques involved, anything nuclear was dangerous before they became much safer. The same could be said for automobiles or glow-in-the-dark paint.
    "Let's remain ignorant because bad things could happen even though we haven't perfected the techniques."
    There is a difference between that and being cautious. When one is ignorant of so much in an area it does one could to be cautious generally. Fools rush in where angels fear to tread as the saying goes.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  7. #37
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,400

    Re: Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    There is a difference between that and being cautious. When one is ignorant of so much in an area it does one could to be cautious generally. Fools rush in where angels fear to tread as the saying goes.
    Right, because we've rushed so fast into stem cell science.
    *insert profound statement here*

  8. #38
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Right, because we've rushed so fast into stem cell science.
    Right because the poster referred only to that, I was talking generally. I don't think we have been too hesitant certainly but I'm not a liberal. We have rushed into far too much in recent centuries from where I stand.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  9. #39
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Sanders View Post
    I dont see a reason for people to fear stem cell treatment and stem cell introduction in general into medicine.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  10. #40
    Phoenecian
    Indy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    03-22-13 @ 04:36 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,089

    Re: Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Proving my point once again. You labeled yourself Independent.
    And you labeled yourself as conservative instead of rabid. Your point?
    Affiant further sayeth not.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •