Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 65

Thread: Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

  1. #11
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    11-30-09 @ 04:11 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    446

    Re: Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

    Before we perfected the techniques involved, anything nuclear was dangerous before they became much safer. The same could be said for automobiles or glow-in-the-dark paint.
    "Let's remain ignorant because bad things could happen even though we haven't perfected the techniques."

  2. #12
    Guru
    Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    02-13-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,962

    Re: Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

    This is what I do for a living. I am a laboratory technologist for a Blood and Bone Marrow Cell Processing Laboratory. We do immune-system stem cell transplants to treat people with leukemia, some cancers, and more recently myeloma. To put it all in simple terms, it reboots the immune system.

    First, I have to point out that this has nothing to do with abortion because the cells are taken from living people (out of the womb only). In some cases, we use cord blood, but even that is taken after the birth has happened.

    Next, this is a promising treatment for HIV as a last resort only. The conditioning required for a cell transplant is extensive and can be dangerous itself in the long run. This does, however, open the door to possible new treatments that are more mild. Now they know extensive conditioning may erase the virus, they can start work on finding related methods that are not as harsh.

  3. #13
    Norville Rogers
    Kernel Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,730

    Re: Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I'm not against stem cell research, but I am against the rabid insistance by liberals that embryonic stem cell research is the best and only way to achieve cures. It's just another cover for abortion. Don't tell me it's not true, because the left extremists don't pump up the success of adult stem cell research. Nevertheless, the man plainly stated that this is extremely risky with little proven benefit. One patient doesn't prove the success of a process.
    This was not done with embryonic stem cells. Anybody lauding this advancement is clearly not in the group you are attacking

  4. #14
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    02-13-09 @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,942

    Re: Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    That's fantastic news.

    I'm glad that people started to wisen to this
    Again, wisen up to what exactly?

  5. #15
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    Dude, really?

    Why did you bring "liberals" and "left extremists" into this?

    You label too much.
    I am for stem cell research, and against (most) abortions. I am liberal-leaning.
    Proving my point once again. You labeled yourself Independent.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

    I agree that risky procedures should be left for the truly desperate and needy, but the fact that this procedure exists at all is a huge achievement for modern medical science. Over time, research will refine the process and reduce the risk. The fact that it is very risky now is irrelevant to future advancement.

    Stem cell therapy is the future for many of today's crippling illnesses. Special interest groups will continue to lobby government to ban it, but in a world where cancer rates are rising steadily, research will continue unabated.

  7. #17
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Proving my point once again. You labeled yourself Independent.
    You are able to list EITHER your political lean OR your party affiliation. It could very simply be he's a left leaning person registered "Independent", much like currently I'm an almost fully right leaning person registered "Independent" due to disgust with the republican party. I chose to do my political lean, he chose to do his party identification if that's the case.

    Slightly Liberal or Slightly Conservative generally can very easily fit into being considered "Independent" or "centrist" as generally they have a few views verging closer to the other side than their own and may be more easily persuaded to vote the other way.

    Not to mention, he didn't prove your point. You said:

    "the left extremists don't pump up the success of adult stem cell research."

    Then apparently he's not one of these, and you're just ranting for rantings sake, because from what I can see this is about adult, not embryonic, stem cells. So he IS pumping up the success of adult stem cell research. His stated stance on abortion is also seemingly only for it in specific instances, which hardly seems like the view of someone wanting to make embryonic stem cell research legal REALLy due to abortions.

  8. #18
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    02-13-09 @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,942

    Re: Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    Stem cell therapy is the future for many of today's crippling illnesses. Special interest groups will continue to lobby government to ban it, but in a world where cancer rates are rising steadily, research will continue unabated.
    This is the same tired partisan crap being repeated ad nausea by intellectually dishonest fools.

    Speciali interests are not opposed to stem cell research. Some interest groups do oppose one specific type of stem cell research that requires the destruction of human embryoes. And this opposition evaporates when such research is conducted without destroying embryoes, i.e., involves collectng embryonic stem cells from cord blood or reprogramming adult stem cells to behave as embryonic stem cells.

    So, please, try to be a little more careful with your broad declarations about who is opposed to what. Otherwise, you end up posting statements like the above which are not at all accurate and, most likely, are intentionally misleading, i.e., Republicans are anti-science.

  9. #19
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    02-13-09 @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,942

    Re: Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    I'm glad that people started to wisen to this
    Do we yet have an answer yet to what this poster was talking about?

  10. #20
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    You are able to list EITHER your political lean OR your party affiliation. It could very simply be he's a left leaning person registered "Independent", much like currently I'm an almost fully right leaning person registered "Independent" due to disgust with the republican party. I chose to do my political lean, he chose to do his party identification if that's the case.

    Slightly Liberal or Slightly Conservative generally can very easily fit into being considered "Independent" or "centrist" as generally they have a few views verging closer to the other side than their own and may be more easily persuaded to vote the other way.

    Not to mention, he didn't prove your point. You said:

    "the left extremists don't pump up the success of adult stem cell research."

    Then apparently he's not one of these, and you're just ranting for rantings sake, because from what I can see this is about adult, not embryonic, stem cells. So he IS pumping up the success of adult stem cell research. His stated stance on abortion is also seemingly only for it in specific instances, which hardly seems like the view of someone wanting to make embryonic stem cell research legal REALLy due to abortions.
    You really need a better avatar.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •