Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 75

Thread: PETA dresses in KKK garb outside Westminster Dog Show

  1. #21
    Student Captain Obvious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    01-30-17 @ 01:07 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    218

    Re: PETA dresses in KKK garb outside Westminster Dog Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    If instead of dressing up in garbs that promote racism and remind people back to a time where there was a congress bill (I kid you not) that was an anti-lynching agent (as if lynching didn't fall under "murder") they should make an actual statement by making some logical assertion.

    However, the only problem with dog breeding in general (I mean besides cases such as should we continue to breed bit-pulls, rottweilers, etc.) is that we've pretty much ruined "dogs".
    As soon as humans die off, much of the dog population will to. Small dogs may not even be able to get out of their human's house, and will not be able to travel much; not to mention a tasty snack.

    Large dogs will be too aggressive and end up killing one another off.

    Medium dogs will be fine, but hey that's where the dog population started.

    PETA needs to learn how to successfully promote an argument instead of pulling of childish **** like that.
    Do you honestly think I would give a crap about dogs if myself along with my fellow species were to "die off"?
    my junk is ugly

  2. #22
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    Re: PETA dresses in KKK garb outside Westminster Dog Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Large dogs wont die off because they are too agressive, they will die off because they are too large.

    Wolves are the size they are for a reason.
    Wolves can be quite large. I never said that large dogs would die off. They'll survive because they naturally form packs and use teamwork to hunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  3. #23
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: PETA dresses in KKK garb outside Westminster Dog Show

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Wolves can be quite large. I never said that large dogs would die off. They'll survive because they naturally form packs and use teamwork to hunt.
    I know. I was addressing the post you were responding to.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: PETA dresses in KKK garb outside Westminster Dog Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Without looking anything up, I'd guess:

    1) Tail and ear snipping
    2) Dogs that are subjected to excess grooming, and "hair cuts" that are more for estetics rather than comfort.
    3) Dogs that are overbred. In order to find the perfect dog, one might have to breed hundreds, which of course leads to the problem of overpopulation.

    Ohhhh... edited to add that some breeds have been "honed" through the years to exaggerate certain features. This has caused major medical problems with certain breeds.

    BTW, I'm no PETA apologist. I think they are way too extreme, to say the least. But I do think the show dog world is not best model of perfect pet ownership.
    Wrong on all accounts.

    Tails are clipped when the pups are only a few days old. It's not any different than circumcisions in human babies. Ears are cut under general anesthesia and is no different that spaying or neutering as far as pain goes.

    Excess grooming?? Are you kidding?? Dogs love to be groomed once they become accustomed to it. How often do you comb your hair? How often do you get your hair trimmed?? Are you being cruel to yourself??

    People that show dogs are the most responsible breeders out there. Most breed a very few selective litters. If the puppies are not show quality, they are typically sold cheaply as pets with the requirement that they be spayed/neutered.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  5. #25
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: PETA dresses in KKK garb outside Westminster Dog Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Wrong on all accounts.

    Tails are clipped when the pups are only a few days old. It's not any different than circumcisions in human babies. Ears are cut under general anesthesia and is no different that spaying or neutering as far as pain goes.

    Excess grooming?? Are you kidding?? Dogs love to be groomed once they become accustomed to it. How often do you comb your hair? How often do you get your hair trimmed?? Are you being cruel to yourself??

    People that show dogs are the most responsible breeders out there. Most breed a very few selective litters. If the puppies are not show quality, they are typically sold cheaply as pets with the requirement that they be spayed/neutered.
    I agree fully, except that cheaply is a relative term.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #26
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,452
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: PETA dresses in KKK garb outside Westminster Dog Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Wrong on all accounts.
    I love how you say that with such confidence!

    Tails are clipped when the pups are only a few days old. It's not any different than circumcisions in human babies. Ears are cut under general anesthesia and is no different that spaying or neutering as far as pain goes.
    There are some that say that docking is cruel. So there ya go. It appears it's unethical in the UK.

    The UK Legal Position
    Tail docking has historically been undertaken largely by dog breeders. However, in 1991, the UK government amended the Veterinary Surgeons Act, thereby prohibiting the docking of dog's tails by lay persons from 1 July 1993. Now, only veterinary surgeons are, by law, allowed to dock.

    However, following the Government move, the Council of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons in November 1992, ruled docking to be unethical, "unless for therapeutic or acceptable prophylactic reasons". Furthermore, the circumstances in which the Royal College considered prophylactic docking to be acceptable were so hedged with conditions as to make the routine docking of puppies by veterinary surgeons extremely difficult.

    Vets who continue to dock risk disciplinary action, including being struck off the professional register.


    Tail Docking - The Case for Tail Docking



    Excess grooming?? Are you kidding?? Dogs love to be groomed once they become accustomed to it. How often do you comb your hair? How often do you get your hair trimmed?? Are you being cruel to yourself??
    It was a guess on my part, but some dogs hate the simple basics of grooming. Add in hair dryers, products, and even freakin' polish for their nails, and it can be overkill. And, no, your analogy does not make sense. I am human, dogs are not.

    Also, some dogs are groomed/trimmed in a way that's not functional. Ever wonder how those Sheepdogs see?

    People that show dogs are the most responsible breeders out there.
    Some are, some aren't. In fact, there are a number of breeds that are in trouble because of bad breeding. Some have legs that are now too short to support them properly (Daschunds), some have craniums that are too small and suffer from neurogical problems (King Charles spaniels) and deformed back legs (German Shepherds).

    How serious is the problem?

    That depends on the nature of the abnormality: for some breeds, though, their breeding can have appalling consequences. Perhaps the most startling ailment is that suffered by a third of cavalier King Charles spaniels, syringomyelia, which is the result of their brains being too large for their skulls. "The cavalier's brain is like a size ten foot that has been shoved into a size six shoe," says veterinary neurologist Clare Rusbridge. "It is described in humans as one of the most painful conditions you can have, a piston-type headache... If you took a stick and beat a dog to create that pain, you'd be prosecuted. But there's nothing to stop you breeding a dog with it."

    Many other breeds suffer similar problems: golden retrievers are prone to cancer, while boxers often suffer from heart disease and epilepsy. The Kennel Club claims that 90 per cent of the British canine population is healthy, and that these kinds of genetic diseases are actually more common in humans than dogs. But there are concerns that the problem will get worse, as an increasingly concentrated gene pool makes the abnormalities even more likely to be passed on.


    The Big Question: Is the breeding of pedigree dogs leading to cruel abnormalities? - This Britain, UK - The Independent

    Here's a list of dogs in which bad breeding practices have changed certain breeds for the worse. And yes, to the point where it can be considered cruel.

    Pedigree dogs: How breeding has changed them | UK news | guardian.co.uk

    Most breed a very few selective litters. If the puppies are not show quality, they are typically sold cheaply as pets with the requirement that they be spayed/neutered.
    Yes, that does happen. I wonder if they all find good homes.
    Last edited by Middleground; 02-11-09 at 05:29 PM.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: PETA dresses in KKK garb outside Westminster Dog Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    I love how you say that with such confidence!
    I say it with confidence because I showed, trained, groomed and bred dogs for many years.

    There are some that say that docking is cruel. So there ya go. It appears it's unethical in the UK.

    The UK Legal Position
    Tail docking has historically been undertaken largely by dog breeders. However, in 1991, the UK government amended the Veterinary Surgeons Act, thereby prohibiting the docking of dog's tails by lay persons from 1 July 1993. Now, only veterinary surgeons are, by law, allowed to dock.

    However, following the Government move, the Council of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons in November 1992, ruled docking to be unethical, "unless for therapeutic or acceptable prophylactic reasons". Furthermore, the circumstances in which the Royal College considered prophylactic docking to be acceptable were so hedged with conditions as to make the routine docking of puppies by veterinary surgeons extremely difficult.

    Vets who continue to dock risk disciplinary action, including being struck off the professional register.


    Tail Docking - The Case for Tail Docking
    Great Britain has passed all kinds of silly laws. They are the epitome of PC there.


    I was a guess on my part, but some dogs hate the simple basics of grooming. Add in hair dryers, products, and even freakin' polish for their nails, and it can be overkill. And, no, your analogy does not make sense. I am human, dogs are not.
    After being groomed a couple hundred times, they get used to it. Nail polish NEVER goes on show dogs.

    Some are, some aren't. In fact, there are a number of breeds that are in trouble becuase of bad breeding. Some have legs that are now to short to support them properly (Daschunds), some have craniums that are too small and suffer from neurogical problems (King Charles spaniels) and deformed back legs (German Shepherds).

    How seriousis the problem?

    That depends on the nature of the abnormality: for some breeds, though, their breeding can have appalling consequences. Perhaps the most startling ailment is that suffered by a third of cavalier King Charles spaniels, syringomyelia, which is the result of their brains being too large for their skulls. "The cavalier's brain is like a size ten foot that has been shoved into a size six shoe," says veterinary neurologist Clare Rusbridge. "It is described in humans as one of the most painful conditions you can have, a piston-type headache... If you took a stick and beat a dog to create that pain, you'd be prosecuted. But there's nothing to stop you breeding a dog with it."

    Many other breeds suffer similar problems: golden retrievers are prone to cancer, while boxers often suffer from heart disease and epilepsy. The Kennel Club claims that 90 per cent of the British canine population is healthy, and that these kinds of genetic diseases are actually more common in humans than dogs. But there are concerns that the problem will get worse, as an increasingly concentrated gene pool makes the abnormalities even more likely to be passed on.


    The Big Question: Is the breeding of pedigree dogs leading to cruel abnormalities? - This Britain, UK - The Independent

    Here's a list of dos in which bad breeding practices have changed certain breeds for theworse. And yes, to the point where is can be considered cruel.


    Yes, that does happen. I wonder if they all find good homes.
    99% of the breeders of show quality dogs are responsible dog breeders and owners. In fact, many are pretty snobbish and don't want their kennel name associated with a puppy mill. That's why most require that the dogs get spayed/neutered. Many times they also sell the puppies with restricted registrations so that any puppies born from the sire/dam can't be registered, greatly lowering their value.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  8. #28
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: PETA dresses in KKK garb outside Westminster Dog Show

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Where do you get the idea that large dogs are more agressive than medium ones?
    It was on this Discovery Program a few years ago about what would happen if people suddenly vanished from the Earth. It was a bit sad, and I don't think that humans will suddenly vanish from the Earth.

    I am glad that everyone is taking me seriously in this thread, as the thread is about PETA dressing up as the KKK...
    I didn't intend people to take me seriously.

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    AE just made it up.
    You're right. I did. Caught me. Good job and God bless you Mrs. Clinton.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Do you honestly think I would give a crap about dogs if myself along with my fellow species were to "die off"?

    Hm. I'm guessing "no"?
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  9. #29
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    Re: PETA dresses in KKK garb outside Westminster Dog Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    It was on this Discovery Program a few years ago about what would happen if people suddenly vanished from the Earth. It was a bit sad, and I don't think that humans will suddenly vanish from the Earth.

    I am glad that everyone is taking me seriously in this thread, as the thread is about PETA dressing up as the KKK...
    I didn't intend people to take me seriously.


    You're right. I did. Caught me. Good job and God bless you Mrs. Clinton.




    Hm. I'm guessing "no"?
    There's nothing ethical about dressing up like the KKK.

    Now that's out of the way. National Geographic Channel has a show on every day that says all dogs can be aggressive. I just don't like seeing that myth propogated.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  10. #30
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: PETA dresses in KKK garb outside Westminster Dog Show

    I think peta would garner more support if they focused more on the over hunting and habitat destruction of some of the world's endangered animals. Nobody really gives a **** if you kill 1,000 chickens. But if you're talking about the last 1,000 white rhinos? Big difference. Their tactics and targets must change.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 02-11-09 at 06:25 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •