Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Netanyahu declares victory in Israeli election

  1. #1
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Netanyahu declares victory in Israeli election

    link

    This would likely NOT have happened were it not for the rocket strikes into southern ISrael from the Hamas criminals running Gaza.

    I hope Hamas likes what is about to happen to them because I don't think Kadima will treat them with kid gloves.

    JERUSALEM Likud leader Benjamin Netanyahu has declared victory in Tuesday's parliamentary election. Netanyahu told his supporters in a speech early Wednesday that he was proud of the gains by his hardline party. Exit polls show Likud coming in second, but in a better position to lead a coalition government because of a strong showing by other nationalist parties.
    Note, this article makes a mistake in the first sentence. Netanyhu is the Kadima leader, not Likud leader.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  2. #2
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Netanyahu declares victory in Israeli election

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    link

    This would likely NOT have happened were it not for the rocket strikes into southern ISrael from the Hamas criminals running Gaza.

    I hope Hamas likes what is about to happen to them because I don't think Kadima will treat them with kid gloves.



    Note, this article makes a mistake in the first sentence. Netanyhu is the Kadima leader, not Likud leader.

    No, Netanyahu is the LIkud leader. You're wrong.

    With over half of the votes counted, Kadima leads Likud 29 to 28 - Haaretz - Israel News
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  3. #3
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Netanyahu declares victory in Israeli election

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    I realize that. I was half-asleep when I heard the news. I wanted to edit the post, but it is too late.

    I am right, however, in that the attacks my Hamas have resulted in a shift to the right in Israel. Labour has fallen to the number FOUR party in Israel.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  4. #4
    Educator
    moe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cebu Rep of the Philippines
    Last Seen
    06-29-10 @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,176

    Re: Netanyahu declares victory in Israeli election

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    Well, Now that he is in charge lets see what happens. Who knows it may actually bring Hamas to heel and cause them to seek something positive.

    We have all seen Gree's post maybe this will cause Hamas to reach out for outside help from the west.

    Moe

  5. #5
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Netanyahu declares victory in Israeli election

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    I realize that. I was half-asleep when I heard the news. I wanted to edit the post, but it is too late.

    I am right, however, in that the attacks my Hamas have resulted in a shift to the right in Israel. Labour has fallen to the number FOUR party in Israel.
    You are correct that "in the moment" emotions have taken a toll on the sanity of Israels electorates.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  6. #6
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Netanyahu declares victory in Israeli election

    Thankfully he did not get most seats, so as it stands now it is the Kadima part leader that has to attempt to form a government.

    However saying that, the Israeli people have gone right big time. Having a far right racist facist party get 3 most seats is frankly scary as hell. Having a man like Netanyahu so close to getting power is just as scary. If he did, the welcome to the Facist State of Israel and good bye at any chance of peace in the Middle East. I would not be surprised if Israel would attack Iran even with nukes within the first half year of a Netanyahu administration, and hence proving everything the radical Islamists have said about Israel.
    PeteEU

  7. #7
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:26 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,482
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Netanyahu declares victory in Israeli election

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    I realize that. I was half-asleep when I heard the news. I wanted to edit the post, but it is too late.

    I am right, however, in that the attacks my Hamas have resulted in a shift to the right in Israel. Labour has fallen to the number FOUR party in Israel.
    It was going to be a Netanyahu cake walk until the Israeli's responded before Obama's being sworn in.

    Good to see Netanyahu in the driver's seat. He's got the coalition partners.

    Obama won't be pushing Netanyahu around as Clinton did with Ehud Barak.

    This will be fun to watch.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,897

    Re: Netanyahu declares victory in Israeli election

    I think this analysis put it best:

    Quote Originally Posted by il Commie
    Israeli elections results, after 99% of the votes were counted:

    Knesset (israeli parliament): 120 seats

    Kadima (center): 28
    Likud (right): 27
    Yisrael Beytenu (secular extreme right): 15
    Avoda (Labor): 13
    Shas (spharadic orthodoxs): 11
    Yahadut Hatora (ashkenazi orthodoxs): 5
    Ra'am-Ta'al (religious muslims): 4
    Ha'ikhud Haleumi (religios extreme right): 4
    Hadash (communists & radical left): 4
    Meretz (zionist liberals): 3
    Habayit Hayehudi (religios right): 3
    Balad (arab liberals): 3

    Although nobody knows yet who is our new prime minister, it's obvious that this is a victory for the right. Hadash has grown since previous elections, and we have more voters and activists than we ever had since the 80's. Yet the israeli public is generaly more rightist, for several reasons:

    1) Livni (Kadima) has presented herself as the only way to stop Netanyahu (Likud), which attracted many left wing voters to give her their votes, even though they don't agree with her.

    2) Gaza war, and the way it was discussed in the israeli media, caused and explosion of racism against arabs. This is the reason Liberman (Yisrael Beytenu) got so many votes.

    3) Kadima-Labor goverment generally failed. They got us into 2 wars, destroyed the welfare state and were very corrupted. Many israelis wanted to throw the corrupted goverment away, and voting for the right was an act of protest for them.

    4) There were 4 green parties in this elections. They were not elected, but many leftists wasted their vote on them.

    The face of israeli politics does not look good today. But this picture is not as worse as the polls predicted, so I am optimistic. I hope all the left will be in the opposition from this day forward, and that Hadash will join as many struggles as we can, in order to form a strong leftist alternative. May be some day we will lead this nation to peace.

    Source

  9. #9
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Netanyahu declares victory in Israeli election

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    All the voting aside, Netanyahu is the most capable of putting together a coalition government. Therefore he IS the likely winner.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #10
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Netanyahu declares victory in Israeli election

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    All the voting aside, Netanyahu is the most capable of putting together a coalition government. Therefore he IS the likely winner.
    You're absolutely right. However, there's going to be an almost shared power between the two.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •