Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 88

Thread: Cigarette Tax Clouds Boosts Among States

  1. #71
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Cigarette Tax Clouds Boosts Among States

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    Ah, so those things that you listed are addictive like cigarettes are and cause second hand smoke that affects others as well? And no, I'm not giving cigarettes a bad rap. I don't need to. They've had one for years and rightfully so.
    If we wish to get into how second hand smoke effects people? What about parents that constantly feed their kids crap? I have found that if the parents eat non-healthy crap that is the same kinda crap they are feeding their kids. And of course this does affect these kids and probably why we have such a high obesity weight in kids these days. So maybe we should start taxing junk food to death too?

    Maybe we should just start being a Police Country and everything that goes into your body is controlled by our gov. Do you really think that is a good idea? Do you trust the FDA to be your body police? Cause I sure as hell do not!

  2. #72
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Cigarette Tax Clouds Boosts Among States

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Do you value being a FREE person?
    Sure.

    Do you really want the gov. this involved in your own personal life?
    By "this involved," you mean "taxing a product that they already tax and have taxed for decades"?

    Yea, I'm really not tripping.

    Because the next step is telling you what you can or cannot consume.
    HI! I'm the FDA. I see we haven't met before.

    You do know that they do this all the time, right?

    Do you really wish for a total Big Brother World?
    I wish for a world where people like me aren't stuck paying for the healthcare of people who end up as drains on the system because of their cigarette smoking. If that means that people who choose to smoke pay an extra buck a pack, I'm okay with that.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    08-26-09 @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    676

    Re: Cigarette Tax Clouds Boosts Among States

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    The article is insinuating that because states are also raising taxes on cigarettes that it will curb use, which reduces funds for SCHIP.

    Who will they collect from when there are not enough taxes from cigarettes to fund the program?
    Over time the cost of everyone's health care will cost less comparatively because a relatively significant drop in smokers will directly reduce the high cost that smoker's poor health (due to smoking related illnesses) and this will "balance" the lower revenues generated by less folks smoking...this is a good thing.

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    08-26-09 @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    676

    Re: Cigarette Tax Clouds Boosts Among States

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    I think it is total B.S.! Smokers get screwed once again
    Smokers deserve to "get screwed" because they're a severe burden on society and they're "Typhoid Marys" who spread disease all over the country.

    Nothing good is associated with smoking cigarettes, nothing. It's poison. It's a killer. How many products in America are sold for consumption with warnings that continued use of the product will kill you?

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    08-26-09 @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    676

    Re: Cigarette Tax Clouds Boosts Among States

    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Stinger1 View Post
    -
    I just got back from the computer show in Rockingham, New Hamphire and I brought 50 cartons back to the guys at $30.00 a carton. There is no sales tax in New Hamphire. Even at that thats a $3.00 savings per pack.
    I'm not sure how wise it is to post on a public message board that you've broken the law in a significant way..then again now that Bush is no longer President maybe the FBI will get back to protecting America rather than protecting political rhetoric concocted by the Bush Administration.

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    08-26-09 @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    676

    Re: Cigarette Tax Clouds Boosts Among States

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    the National Center for Health Statistics disagrees




    I think you are labeling smokers unfairly.
    I think you're mistaken. Heart disease's major cause IS cigarette smoking!

  7. #77
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Cigarette Tax Clouds Boosts Among States

    Quote Originally Posted by Family Guy View Post
    Smokers deserve to "get screwed" because they're a severe burden on society and they're "Typhoid Marys" who spread disease all over the country.
    Obesity costs more health care dollars than smoking.

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    08-26-09 @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    676

    Re: Cigarette Tax Clouds Boosts Among States

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post

    Maybe we should just start being a Police Country and everything that goes into your body is controlled by our gov. Do you really think that is a good idea? Do you trust the FDA to be your body police? Cause I sure as hell do not!
    Can you name one positive / healthy contribution cigarettes provide to the consumer? One will do...

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    08-26-09 @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    676

    Re: Cigarette Tax Clouds Boosts Among States

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Obesity costs more health care dollars than smoking.
    I'm not saying you're wrong but I'd like to see stats that compare the two. It would be interesting.

  10. #80
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Cigarette Tax Clouds Boosts Among States

    Quote Originally Posted by Family Guy View Post
    Can you name one positive / healthy contribution cigarettes provide to the consumer? One will do...
    It keeps me from going postal on smoking nazis

    j/k

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •