Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 92

Thread: California goes broke, halts $3.5 billion in payments

  1. #71
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: California goes broke, halts $3.5 billion in payments

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Then put up or shut up. Specifically state the flaw in the study.
    Uh.....

    LOL at whatever idiot researcher who thought that was a reliable testing method. Let's try to brainstorm a possible factor that could skew this study. Hmmm.....could it be that cities that are developed enough and have the money to implement things like SEP's are just generally more likely to have lower HIV transmission rates than cities like Cape Town or Mumbai?
    No, I'm someone who once took a course on statistics and understands the concept of correlation v. causation.
    If that doesn't explain it for you, I'm not going to bother going any further.


    LOL, which was?
    ?? Read the ****ing post.

    "Whether or not something is generally a net positive is not the same as whether or not something is economically efficient."

    It is accepted that SEP/NEP's reduce the spread of HIV, of which the cost of doing so is fractional to the total benefit of the given state.
    Link?

    Your talking out of a paper ***. So prove it or be gone!
    I don't need to, nor am I trying to, prove anything. You're doing a fine job of that yourself.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  2. #72
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,263

    Re: California goes broke, halts $3.5 billion in payments

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    All the Ron Pauligans did was parrot the most asinine bulleted talking points about isolating ourselves, cutting the government down to minimal operations, and screech hyperboles describing the government as some monstrous entity that was sitting over the Constitution with a magic eraser to take out the Bill of Rights one by one.

    The difference between a normal person and a Ron Pauligan is a paranoid LSD trip.
    Wow, way to underscore the topic!

    You are either borderline delusional, or you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about in regards to Dr. Paul and libertarian philosophy.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  3. #73
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: California goes broke, halts $3.5 billion in payments

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    If it could have been preventable, as my exagerated example concluded, then those who were partaking in those actions would not have the death sentence. Besides, my response was in regards to Jallman's "Darwinism" statement.
    Let me get this straight - If someone dies, and that death was preventable, then that means that everyone who did not try to prevent that death instituted a "Draconian punishment" on the dead guy?



    Also, can you clarify what you meant when you said this:

    The above posts basically outlines why i am against UHC in the US. People here live really unhealthy lifestyles (smokers, over eaters, extreme sportsman, extreme dieters, etc...), and if they dont care about their health, why should someone else foot the bill when reality checks in?

    ...

    As much as i disagree with you on some social policies, you speak the truth. I want to live a long and prosperous life, but i dont want to spend even a % of that time working to pay for someone who has no desire to do the same.
    Y'know, it's funny, because that sounds kind of exactly like what jallman said.

    I can't wait to hear this explanation.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  4. #74
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,263

    Re: California goes broke, halts $3.5 billion in payments

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Uh.....





    If that doesn't explain it for you, I'm not going to bother going any further.




    ?? Read the ****ing post.


    I don't need to, nor am I trying to, prove anything. You're doing a fine job of that yourself.
    You cannot claim that a level 200 course in statistics and an opinion is sufficient to prove the study false. You fail until you can prove it.

    Whether or not something is generally a net positive is not the same as whether or not something is economically efficient.
    Then prove it is either net negative or inefficient. You have yet to do either, but instead attack me and my source.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  5. #75
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,263

    Re: California goes broke, halts $3.5 billion in payments

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Let me get this straight - If someone dies, and that death was preventable, then that means that everyone who did not try to prevent that death instituted a "Draconian punishment" on the dead guy?



    Also, can you clarify what you meant when you said this:



    Y'know, it's funny, because that sounds kind of exactly like what jallman said.

    I can't wait to hear this explanation.
    Quit cherry picking my posts. It was addressed to Jallman's "Darwin" comment, and nothing more.

    As far as my statement is concerned, i am referring to a nationalized program, not a state program.

    In case you have yet to receive the memo, i believe in states rights
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: California goes broke, halts $3.5 billion in payments

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Wow, way to underscore the topic!

    You are either borderline delusional, or you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about in regards to Dr. Paul and libertarian philosophy.
    Wow...way to show how illiterate one can become when foaming at the mouth. I said nothing about Dr. Paul and libertarian philosophy. I simply stated that his rabid followers were totally whacked.

  7. #77
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,263

    Re: California goes broke, halts $3.5 billion in payments

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Wow...way to show how illiterate one can become when foaming at the mouth. I said nothing about Dr. Paul and libertarian philosophy. I simply stated that his rabid followers were totally whacked.
    Maybe altizhmers is kicking in early for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    isolating ourselves, cutting the government down to minimal operations, and screech hyperboles describing the government as some monstrous entity that was sitting over the Constitution with a magic eraser to take out the Bill of Rights one by one.
    You have referred to me as a Paulite, therefore what am i to assume?
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  8. #78
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: California goes broke, halts $3.5 billion in payments

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    You cannot claim that a level 200 course in statistics and an opinion is sufficient to prove the study false. You fail until you can prove it.

    Then prove it is either net negative or inefficient. You have yet to do either, but instead attack me and my source.
    Let me make sure I've got this down:

    1. You claim that the program is a net positive, so it should be kept.
    2. I point out that unless you know the actual costs and opportunity costs, the fact that it's a net positive doesn't mean anything.
    3. You claim that the program works, but provide a study with flaws, and then claim that the program is cheap, but ask me to provide you with how much the program costs in CA.
    4. I point out the obvious flaw in the first study, and then remind you that it's not my burden to do your research.
    5. You claim that it's my job to prove that the program doesn't work and that it's not cost effective.
    6. I futilely try to remind you that you're missing the point altogether.

    That about right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Quit cherry picking my posts. It was addressed to Jallman's "Darwin" comment, and nothing more.

    As far as my statement is concerned, i am referring to a nationalized program, not a state program.

    In case you have yet to receive the memo, i believe in states rights

    Bull****. You expressed clearly that "I want to live a long and prosperous life, but i dont want to spend even a % of that time working to pay for someone who has no desire to do the same." Whether the program taking your money is run by the state or by the federal government has no bearing on that statement.

    You're making ridiculously contradictory statements and attacking others for expressing the same thoughts that you yourself have stated.

    If anything, jallman's position is even more humane. He is opposed to a program that would take his money and give it to someone who was a drug addict and prostitute. You're opposed to a program that would take your money and give it to all poorer people, the vast majority of whom are not drug addicts or prostitutes.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: California goes broke, halts $3.5 billion in payments

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Maybe altizhmers is kicking in early for you.

    You have referred to me as a Paulite, therefore what am i to assume?
    Again, I never referred to you as a Pauligan. I simply stated what I think of Pauligans. If you identify as one, then by all means, to each his own.

    But please, to lay this to rest, point to where I referred to you or anyone specifically as a Pauligan...

  10. #80
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,263

    Re: California goes broke, halts $3.5 billion in payments

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Let me make sure I've got this down:

    1. You claim that the program is a net positive, so it should be kept.
    2. I point out that unless you know the actual costs and opportunity costs, the fact that it's a net positive doesn't mean anything.
    3. You claim that the program works, but provide a study with flaws, and then claim that the program is cheap, but ask me to provide you with how much the program costs in CA.
    5. You claim that it's my job to prove that the program doesn't work and that it's not cost effective.
    6. I futilely try to remind you that you're missing the point altogether.

    That about right?
    Not once did i state that a lack of SEP's causes a 5%+ increase in the spread. If you can find where I did, then you have my apology. I only asked you politely if you would supply the other half of the data required to truly engage in this debate. Your failure to do so illustrates you are not inclined to have a debate on the topic at hand, and are more concerned with ganging up with your fellow republican boyfriend because someone showed that your opinions and facts do not line up accordingly.

    I point out the obvious flaw in the first study, and then remind you that it's not my burden to do your research.
    You are implying that NEP's do not reduce the spread of HIV, under a falsified assumption. Again, the fact that you took a 200 lvl math class and have a conservative opinion does not constitute the study insufficient. If you are going to put your foot in your mouth by claiming false, then do so in its entirety.

    Bull****. You expressed clearly that "I want to live a long and prosperous life, but i dont want to spend even a % of that time working to pay for someone who has no desire to do the same." Whether the program taking your money is run by the state or by the federal government has no bearing on that statement.
    Who the **** are you to tell me my views on government have "no bearing"? Enacting a NHS and preventing a spreadable disease are completely two different topics without even considering their respective reach. It is not of my own self interest to pay for someone else's health care, but it is of my self interest to want to see the spread of HIV decrease. Reason be, i like to get pussy, and condom's are only 99% effective against the spread.

    You're making ridiculously contradictory statements and attacking others for expressing the same thoughts that you yourself have stated.
    No, that is what you are trying to make it out to be, but in reality that cannot be any farther from the truth. Your grasping at straws big time.

    If anything, jallman's position is even more humane. He is opposed to a program that would take his money and give it to someone who was a drug addict and prostitute. You're opposed to a program that would take your money and give it to all poorer people, the vast majority of whom are not drug addicts or prostitutes.
    When all is lost, resort to grasping at straws huh He stated:
    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Perhaps HIV is Darwin's way of telling us some people should be cut out of the gene pool and they will do so by their own stupidity.
    He is implicitly suggesting that those people (of which he disagrees with their activities) deserves to die.

    This discussed program "takes his money and gives it to drug addicts and prostitutes?" Wrong again. The program has been shown to reduce the spread of HIV. You claim the report is "doctored", although you have not read the study in its abstract or entirety. Talk about a bunch of bull****, i would have to guess the color of your eyes is brown...
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •