Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 70 of 70

Thread: Obama preserves renditions as counter-terrorism tool

  1. #61
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,010

    Re: Obama preserves renditions as counter-terrorism tool

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    “Make no mistake, tax cheaters cheat us all, and the IRS should enforce our laws to the letter. ” Sen. Tom Daschle, Congressional Record, May 7, 1998, p. S4507.

    Too bad I am a crimey in this aspect this year. But upon thinking about it there is no way I can hand Big Brother my money just so he can drop a bomb on baby on accident. Every time I pay sales tax at a store I think that I am killing someone in the slightest way. I need to go move into the forest. I can't let anyone kill through me in any way.


    "Thou shall not kill" -God

    I hate to think about when this catches up to me. I don't want to go to jail but I rather not kill even more.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  2. #62
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Obama preserves renditions as counter-terrorism tool

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    Too bad I am a crimey in this aspect this year. But upon thinking about it there is no way I can hand Big Brother my money just so he can drop a bomb on baby on accident. Every time I pay sales tax at a store I think that I am killing someone in the slightest way. I need to go move into the forest. I can't let anyone kill through me in any way.


    "Thou shall not kill" -God

    I hate to think about when this catches up to me. I don't want to go to jail but I rather not kill even more.
    To clarify: You're willfully failing to file a tax return because you believe that your money will just be used to kill babies?


    [THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE] That seems like a really ****ing bad idea. [/THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE]
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #63
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,010

    Re: Obama preserves renditions as counter-terrorism tool

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    To clarify: You're willfully failing to file a tax return because you believe that your money will just be used to kill babies?


    [THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE] That seems like a really ****ing bad idea. [/THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE]
    I know... But I can't kill... I'm going to start setting an equal amount aside and writing documents on how this money is going to be locked away until we have a 100% certifiable way of paying into a non-violent assured tax. I hope I don't go to jail just because I refuse to kill indirectly. But I just cant do it... No matter how much I think about it.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  4. #64
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Obama preserves renditions as counter-terrorism tool

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    I know... But I can't kill... I'm going to start setting an equal amount aside and writing documents on how this money is going to be locked away until we have a 100% certifiable way of paying into a non-violent assured tax. I hope I don't go to jail just because I refuse to kill indirectly. But I just cant do it... No matter how much I think about it.
    You know that you're not the first person to think of this, nor will you be the first person to go to jail or pay fines/interest upon being caught, right?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #65
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,010

    Re: Obama preserves renditions as counter-terrorism tool

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    You know that you're not the first person to think of this, nor will you be the first person to go to jail or pay fines/interest upon being caught, right?
    Then let Ceaser take whats his. Because I no longer give.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  6. #66
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Obama preserves renditions as counter-terrorism tool

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    Then let Ceaser take whats his. Because I no longer give.
    It's not Caesar I'd be concerned with, it's Bubba and Jamal.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  7. #67
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,010

    Re: Obama preserves renditions as counter-terrorism tool

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    It's not Caesar I'd be concerned with, it's Bubba and Jamal.
    Hope it never comes to that, but rather deal with Bubba and Jamal than kill someone.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  8. #68
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,010

    Re: Obama preserves renditions as counter-terrorism tool

    Panetta: Obama won't OK 'extraordinary rendition' - Yahoo! News
    Panetta: Obama won't OK 'extraordinary rendition'
    WASHINGTON – The Obama administration will not conduct the kind of "extraordinary rendition" that the Bush administration allowed, CIA Director nominee Leon Panetta assured senators on Thursday.

    Panetta told the Senate Intelligence Committee that President Barack Obama forbids what Panetta called "that kind of extraordinary rendition — when we send someone for the purpose of torture or actions by another country that violate our human values."
    Maybe Obama isn't going to shape up as evil as I thought. Good and comforting to hear it this way.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  9. #69
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Obama preserves renditions as counter-terrorism tool

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    Panetta: Obama won't OK 'extraordinary rendition' - Yahoo! News
    Panetta: Obama won't OK 'extraordinary rendition'


    Maybe Obama isn't going to shape up as evil as I thought. Good and comforting to hear it this way.
    Hold up, wait a minute:

    Panetta: Obama won't OK 'extraordinary rendition'
    is not the same thing as
    the Obama administration will not send prisoners to countries for torture or other treatment that violates U.S. values
    . How ****ing stupid can journalists be? Christ, learn to use google.

    Also, this part is hilarious:

    Panetta, testifying before the Senate Intelligence Committee, later acknowledged that he does not know specifically what happened in the secret program allowing so-called "extraordinary rendition."

    ...

    "What happened I can't tell you specifically," he said later, "but clearly steps were taken that prompted this president to say those things ought not to happen again."
    To clarify: Panetta, who held no position in the Bush Administration and thus has literally no idea what happened, says that he assumes that Bush must have done bad things because "Obama says he doesn't want them to happen again."

    Hilarious. I guess that's what you get when you appoint someone with no intelligence experience to run the CIA.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  10. #70
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:43 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,562

    Re: Obama shuts Gitmo but expands renditions

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    Ok. This is legal:

    The U.S. transfers a Gitmo detainee to Britain.

    This is illegal:

    The U.S. transfers a Gitmo detainee to Syria, where there are reasonable grounds to believe he might be tortured.
    That would depend on the mechanism and grounds used for the transfer.


    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that extraordinary (non-judicial) rendition is illegal.
    It's completely extra-legal, which is why it's extraordinary.


    Driving your car to the store is non-judicial and yet perfectly legal.
    Driving your car down the street with someone chained up against his will in the back seat isn't.


    Non-judicial just means there is no law or court order that says it must be done (as the case with extradition).
    But everyone has to have a legal status.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •