Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 152

Thread: Phelps apologizes for 'bad judgment' after marijuana photo

  1. #41
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Phelps apologizes for 'bad judgment' after marijuana photo

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    I can't believe he ****ing apologized for that. People that apologize for no goddamn reason when they've done nothing wrong really lose my respect.I have lost my respect for the media,but not the "victim"..
    I would not say that he has done nothing "wrong". His handlers probably advised that he apologize..
    In backward nations, he committed a "crime"..
    I wonder about the reporting rag - have they nothing better to do ??

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Phelps apologizes for 'bad judgment' after marijuana photo

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    I would not say that he has done nothing "wrong". His handlers probably advised that he apologize..
    Well, yeah. Just like I'm sure Miley Cyrus isn't "sorry" for her "mistake" in posing for the Vanity Fair cover. Yet she issued a public apology (through her publicist) anyway.
    When one makes a living off one's *wholesome* image, it hurts one's finances to
    appear to be engaged in illicit or unsavory activities.


    In backward nations, he committed a "crime"..
    Yes. He committed a crime.
    And the fact is, we can all say, "Oh, who cares? Everybody smokes pot when they're young. What's the big deal?"
    But kids who aren't famous are locked up with real criminals in juvenile detention facilities right now for doing exactly what he did: this thing we claim is "no big deal".
    It's a very big deal for the kids who get caught at it. In some cases, it ruins their lives, their futures.

    If pot's no big deal, then we need to change the law, not just wink indulgently when famous people get caught at it. For every Michael Phelps (or Barack Obama, for that matter), there are a thousand ordinary teenagers who have their futures dimmed and their potential stolen by being arrested for possession of marijuana.

  3. #43
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Phelps apologizes for 'bad judgment' after marijuana photo

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    But let's be realistic. Swimming isn't really a career you can bank on. He makes his money in endorsements. That's the reason he has to apologize.

    I do agree its stupid that society's view on Mary Jane has created this condition. I don't think it's any reason to lose respect for the guy.
    I disagree. I have respect for people who are who they appear to be, not people who pretend to be someone they're not. That's not a role model, IMO.

  4. #44
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Phelps apologizes for 'bad judgment' after marijuana photo

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    Yes. He committed a crime.
    And the fact is, we can all say, "Oh, who cares? Everybody smokes pot when they're young. What's the big deal?"
    But kids who aren't famous are locked up with real criminals in juvenile detention facilities right now for doing exactly what he did: this thing we claim is "no big deal".
    It's a very big deal for the kids who get caught at it. In some cases, it ruins their lives, their futures.

    If pot's no big deal, then we need to change the law, not just wink indulgently when famous people get caught at it. For every Michael Phelps (or Barack Obama, for that matter), there are a thousand ordinary teenagers who have their futures dimmed and their potential stolen by being arrested for possession of marijuana.
    No one goes to jail for possessing weed in moderate amounts, famous or not.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #45
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,455
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Phelps apologizes for 'bad judgment' after marijuana photo

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    Well, yeah. Just like I'm sure Miley Cyrus isn't "sorry" for her "mistake" in posing for the Vanity Fair cover. Yet she issued a public apology (through her publicist) anyway.
    When one makes a living off one's *wholesome* image, it hurts one's finances to
    appear to be engaged in illicit or unsavory activities.
    Thank Gawd it wasn't a picture of Phelps having sex. That would have just thrown me over the edge.
    Last edited by Middleground; 02-01-09 at 06:27 PM.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  6. #46
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    Re: Phelps apologizes for 'bad judgment' after marijuana photo

    Smoking weed isn't illegal. Only possession, selling, and trafficking is.

    (I know, he possessed it by holding the bong)
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  7. #47
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sacramento California
    Last Seen
    08-06-11 @ 02:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    706

    Re: Phelps apologizes for 'bad judgment' after marijuana photo

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    I disagree. I have respect for people who are who they appear to be, not people who pretend to be someone they're not. That's not a role model, IMO.
    Phelps appears to be the most dominant athlete in the history of the olympics and he actually is. He appears to be a good ambassador of the sport and our country and he actually is. The fact that he smoked weed does nothing to change that. I think of all the teachers, professors, friends, parents, siblings, professional relations and acquantances in my life who have smoked weed and I am reminded of the fact that it is no one's goddamn business.
    "We may have destroyed this country, but we got rich doing it!" --The GOP
    There is a special place in hell for those who care only about themselves.

  8. #48
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,455
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Phelps apologizes for 'bad judgment' after marijuana photo

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Smoking weed isn't illegal. Only possession, selling, and trafficking is.

    (I know, he possessed it by holding the bong)
    So what happens if you smoke it, but place the bong on the coffee table? That wouldn't be possession, would it?
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Phelps apologizes for 'bad judgment' after marijuana photo

    Moral of the story and what young people could be taught from some of the discussions here is that if you are a gold medalist it doesn't matter if you break the law.

    Now I do not support the marijuanna ban, but he did break the law, and he should apologize for that.

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Phelps apologizes for 'bad judgment' after marijuana photo

    He shouldn't have apologized. He's a god damned millionaire already anyway. He could have been this era's anti-hero like Joe Namath or Muhummad Ali or some sh*t. That would have been awesome. Grow long hair and beard, start telling reporters what's up, speak out against the powers that be...HELL YEA!

    But he caved in...weak sauce.

    Anyway, I think he's a goon. Every time I see him in a commercial I wanted to punch him in the face for some reason, but if this happens...

    And after sporting chiefs announced laws which mean four-year bans for drug-taking, Phelps dreams of adding to his overall 14 gold medal tally at the 2012 games in London could already be OVER.
    Then I would be totally pissed off. Sports are about competition, about being the best of the best. Not being the best because Michael Phelps got caught roasting a bong. If they don't let Phelps swim in the Olympics I'll boycott that sh*t. He deserves to be there and the other athletes deserve a chance to beat him. He's an amazing athlete and I'll always give him props for that.

    If I were the swimmer that won gold without beating Michael Phelps I'd throw it back in the pool during the ceremony and hold my black glove high in the sky.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •