Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 206

Thread: Michael Steele becomes first black RNC chairman

  1. #191
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Michael Steele becomes first black RNC chairman

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    I think there's less racism in the Democratic party because many racists jumped ship to the Republican party in the 60's, because of integration issues. I do think it's dying out in both parties, but since there were more racists in the Republican party, it's taking longer.

    Really? anything to back this up, or is this just a feeling?



    But there are still blacks in rural areas, especially in the south, and they still vote Democrat. The same holds true of blacks in the suburbs. I think there has to be more to explain this than as weak of a reason as "they're urban." And why do you think all of their leaders are Democrats, especially considering that MLK and the like were originally Republican?

    And I am chalking it up to racism, so don't worry.

    Oh yes the whole civil rights thing eventually made it more likley for blacks to vote democrat, this I agree....



    But your chalking it up in todays world to racism, is, well, dumb.


    unless you have proof.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  2. #192
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: Michael Steele becomes first black RNC chairman

    Quote Originally Posted by JMak View Post
    Thanks for the totally irrelevant gut feeling.



    Why? Because, according to you, 50 years ago many racists jumped to the GOP and you think it's taking longer for racism to die out among Republicans?

    Excellent argument.

    Now we know that you're intellectually dishonest.
    By the way, I meant to say "I'm not chalking it up to racism"

    Why would it take longer to die out with the party with more racists? Many of those people are still alive, and many others have passed it on to their children. What's dishonest about this? And are you denying that the Southern Strategy appealed to racist whites?
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  3. #193
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Michael Steele becomes first black RNC chairman

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    You didn't address anything concerning this in your second post. You seem to be baiting and switching...
    I answered your question. You answer mine:

    Why is it that --you-- think there are so few blacks in the GOP?

  4. #194
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    02-13-09 @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,942

    Re: Michael Steele becomes first black RNC chairman

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    Why would it take longer to die out with the party with more racists? Many of those people are still alive, and many others have passed it on to their children. What's dishonest about this? And are you denying that the Southern Strategy appealed to racist whites?
    I see, your only interest is calling anyone self-id'ing as GOP a racist. Got it.

    I am not accepting your mere gut feeling that the GOP has more racists as fact.

    90% of blacks self-id as Democrat. Is there really any surprise then that black GOP candidates are rarely elected?

  5. #195
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: Michael Steele becomes first black RNC chairman

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Really? anything to back this up, or is this just a feeling?
    It was Nixon's Southern Strategy. Will you take the words of Lee Atwater?

    "Atwater: As to the whole Southern strategy that Harry Dent and others put together in 1968, opposition to the Voting Rights Act would have been a central part of keeping the South. Now [the new Southern Strategy of Ronald Reagan] doesn’t have to do that. All you have to do to keep the South is for Reagan to run in place on the issues he’s campaigned on since 1964… and that’s fiscal conservatism, balancing the budget, cut taxes, you know, the whole cluster...

    Questioner: But the fact is, isn’t it, that Reagan does get to the Wallace voter and to the racist side of the Wallace voter by doing away with legal services, by cutting down on food stamps...?

    Atwater: You start out in 1954 by saying, “Nigger, nigger, nigger.” By 1968 you can't say “nigger”—that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites.

    And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me—because obviously sitting around saying, “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “Nigger, nigger.”
    Impossible, Ridiculous, Repugnant - New York Times


    Oh yes the whole civil rights thing eventually made it more likley for blacks to vote democrat, this I agree....



    But your chalking it up in todays world to racism, is, well, dumb.


    unless you have proof.
    That was a typo. I meant to say that i don't think racism is a large factor today, but that it was historically. The reason there's so few elected blacks is that so few run, because there are so few black republicans, and that's what I'm trying to get viewpoints on. Though there is still some racism there... if you remember, Katon Dawson, Steele's main opponent, had to quite a "Whites Only" country club before he ran for the chair.
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  6. #196
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Michael Steele becomes first black RNC chairman

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    By the way, I meant to say "I'm not chalking it up to racism"

    well that changes everything..... My tone was based on you saying it was.


    Why would it take longer to die out with the party with more racists? Many of those people are still alive, and many others have passed it on to their children. What's dishonest about this? And are you denying that the Southern Strategy appealed to racist whites?


    I guess I do not have such a bleak world view as you.

    I have seen just as much racism in NYC as I have in Georgia.....


    dem rep is not a factor imo.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #197
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    02-13-09 @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,942

    Re: Michael Steele becomes first black RNC chairman

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    and that's what I'm trying to get viewpoints on. Though there is still some racism there... if you remember, Katon Dawson, Steele's main opponent, had to quite a "Whites Only" country club before he ran for the chair.
    What can't you get through your thick skull? Why can't you even slightly consider the possibility that perhaps color doesn't matter?

    It ain't Republicans sitting around trying to come with new and exciting ways to carve out new racial classifications, insisting on maintaining existing racial classifications, developing policies that impose those racial classifications on us, etc., etc. Couldn't it be simply that while the Democrats annually propose doling out hundreds of millions and even billions to minorities while the GOP does not that blacks might just see an advantage to supporting Democrats?

    Despite blacks aligning with the GOP on school choice and vouchers, abortion, and many other socio-cultural issues, they still vote lock-step Democratic.

  8. #198
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: Michael Steele becomes first black RNC chairman

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I answered your question. You answer mine:

    Why is it that --you-- think there are so few blacks in the GOP?
    I think it's a slew of reasons. For one, culture. So many blacks are Democrat because so many blacks are Democrats. It's self reinforcing. And they all became Democrats because of the Southern Strategy.

    I think also because so many blacks are poor, and they see Democrats positions more often helping out the poor. Even if a black person isn't poor, many of them were a generation or two ago, and black churches often harp on social duty to the poor.

    And because Democrats are usually the ones pushing anti-discrimination bills, and regardless of if they're needed, Blacks see them as needed. This goes for AA, as well as hiring laws.

    And lastly, the urban divide, I will admit, is a huge part of it. Many blacks do live in the inner city. And if you have a candidate that wants to improve public transportation, which you take, or a Highway, which you barely ever use, which will you vote for?
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  9. #199
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: Michael Steele becomes first black RNC chairman

    Quote Originally Posted by JMak View Post
    I see, your only interest is calling anyone self-id'ing as GOP a racist. Got it.

    I am not accepting your mere gut feeling that the GOP has more racists as fact.

    90% of blacks self-id as Democrat. Is there really any surprise then that black GOP candidates are rarely elected?
    What is your thoughts on how the Southern Strategy affects the GOP today?
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  10. #200
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Michael Steele becomes first black RNC chairman

    You know we agree on most of this hobo.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •