Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 206

Thread: Michael Steele becomes first black RNC chairman

  1. #151
    Tart with a Heart
    StandUpChuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    07-29-11 @ 01:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,188

    Re: Michael Steele becomes first black RNC chairman

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    Can't anyone just let someone do their job before blasting them? Maybe he did get picked because he was black and maybe he didn't- it's irrelevant. Give the guy a chance, I think it will be good for the Republican party. I think they need something fresh and if this guy can bring it, good for him. Let's see how he does first and then judge him. Bringing up that point, I find it funny how some people are blasting Obama already and then others are complaining he's only been in charge a couple weeks- Steele has just become the chairman- please apply that same thinking to him before you talk stuff. Or just pick and choose your outrage, whatever.
    I'm too lazy to go back over the last 15 pages, but I think the question hanging over the thread is why was he picked? Conservatives are at a crossroads right now as far as should we move center or right? The Steele pick tells us where the party thinks it's going.

    I do not believe this man was chosen because of the color of his skin. I know many true conservatives who like this man. He also seems to appeal to moderate conservatives (how is that even possible? lol). If he can bridge the gap between the mod cons and the hard core, then in fact, he was a fabulous pick and may be just what we need right now. Like I had said earlier, I'm on the fence with him. I'm more than willing to give him a shot.

    *If he wants to reach out to pro-choicers, that's political code for reaching out to younger women IMO. We need more chicks in our party, cause women will be the ones to bring us into the 21st century. JMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    You guys are weird.

  2. #152
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Michael Steele becomes first black RNC chairman

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Or it could be cause he's black. But I'll let Republicans play hypocrites.
    As if -you- are going to stop...

  3. #153
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Michael Steele becomes first black RNC chairman

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Thank goodness Obama knocked down all the racial barriers.
    Yeah !
    Right !
    A shame, racism is still alive and well ( a oxymoran), and will be around for another century or two.
    Mans progress is so painfully slow..

  4. #154
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,435

    Re: Michael Steele becomes first black RNC chairman

    Quote Originally Posted by StandUpChuck View Post
    I do not believe this man was chosen because of the color of his skin. I know many true conservatives who like this man.


    I am just laughing my butt off how Democrats were oh so offended when people were saying they were voting for Obama just because he was black and now, not even a month later, they are accusing Republicans of the exact same thing.

  5. #155
    Advisor don'ttreadonme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    TX
    Last Seen
    08-17-11 @ 01:30 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    340

    Re: Michael Steele becomes first black RNC chairman

    Quote Originally Posted by StandUpChuck View Post
    I'm too lazy to go back over the last 15 pages, but I think the question hanging over the thread is why was he picked? Conservatives are at a crossroads right now as far as should we move center or right? The Steele pick tells us where the party thinks it's going.

    I do not believe this man was chosen because of the color of his skin. I know many true conservatives who like this man. He also seems to appeal to moderate conservatives (how is that even possible? lol). If he can bridge the gap between the mod cons and the hard core, then in fact, he was a fabulous pick and may be just what we need right now. Like I had said earlier, I'm on the fence with him. I'm more than willing to give him a shot.

    *If he wants to reach out to pro-choicers, that's political code for reaching out to younger women IMO. We need more chicks in our party, cause women will be the ones to bring us into the 21st century. JMHO.
    I don't know why Republicans would want to move center. We just tried that with a candidate who supported amnesty for illegal immigrants and someone who prides himself on "reaching across the aisle." Before the 2008 election, I don't know how many Democrats I heard say "Oh, I like John McCain. I could vote for him." So he's finally the presidential candidate and for whom did they vote? Obama. Wasn't even a dilemma for them.

    I certainly disagree strongly with people on the far left end of the spectrum but at least they're consistent. I think "moderate" is also a code word for "fickle." I think of the people before the election who just couldn't decide between McCain or Obama. They were two pretty different candidates! I don't know how anyone with half a brain couldn't figure out which one to vote for.

    I guess that's my long-winded way of saying that you have to stick to your principles. Trying to appeal to self-described "moderates" or "independents" is like chasing your tail, imo. Put the ideas out there and if people think they're good, they'll hopefully vote for politicians who support those ideas.

  6. #156
    Tart with a Heart
    StandUpChuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    07-29-11 @ 01:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,188

    Re: Michael Steele becomes first black RNC chairman

    Quote Originally Posted by don'ttreadonme View Post
    I don't know why Republicans would want to move center. We just tried that with a candidate who supported amnesty for illegal immigrants and someone who prides himself on "reaching across the aisle." Before the 2008 election, I don't know how many Democrats I heard say "Oh, I like John McCain. I could vote for him." So he's finally the presidential candidate and for whom did they vote? Obama. Wasn't even a dilemma for them.

    I certainly disagree strongly with people on the far left end of the spectrum but at least they're consistent. I think "moderate" is also a code word for "fickle." I think of the people before the election who just couldn't decide between McCain or Obama. They were two pretty different candidates! I don't know how anyone with half a brain couldn't figure out which one to vote for.

    I guess that's my long-winded way of saying that you have to stick to your principles. Trying to appeal to self-described "moderates" or "independents" is like chasing your tail, imo. Put the ideas out there and if people think they're good, they'll hopefully vote for politicians who support those ideas.
    I know what you're saying DTOM, and I wish the party followed that principle more. However, as an individual, I'm glad to see the reach out to those 2 groups. I think I'm as schizophrenic as our party leaders.
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    You guys are weird.

  7. #157
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: Michael Steele becomes first black RNC chairman

    Quote Originally Posted by StandUpChuck View Post
    Well, these are my 2 issues where I break with conservatives a bit. I don't see the harm in reaching out to gays. I know a few gays who've always identified themselves as democrat, but they really lean conservative. Steele does not support gay marriage (nor does Obama, but the gay community tends to forget that), but that doesn't mean gays don't have a home with the GOP for the larger issues.

    I don't see why the base needs to die on this mountain to be honest. There are much greater issues we need to address. I just cannot see rejecting homosexuality to the extent that your base numbers dwindle, and you're turning away great people who happen to love the same sex.
    There's a large feeling in the gay community that Republicans use gays at scapegoats to turn out votes. They're never going to make headways with that mindset instilled in the population.

    As far as pro-choice goes, it's really time we defined where the party stands so that everyone knows. Many are under the impression that republicans just want to take away women's rights to abortion. I think the majority of party leaders don't even want to mess w/R v W. But where we differ from Dems is PBA. If that were defined better, I think we'd see a lot more "leans pro-choice" coming over to our party. Right now we are defined (in part) as anti-gay and anti-choice when that's really not the case.
    I disagree. I think the majority of Republicans do want to overturn Roe v. Wade. I think it's even made it into the plank quite a few times.
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  8. #158
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: Michael Steele becomes first black RNC chairman

    [QUOTE=LaMidRighter;1057909893]
    A) he rallies people well, we need an energetic grass roots movement like the last time, for whatever issues those like myself disagree with Steele on, we'll take the reigns on those. B) with more enthusiasm comes more donations, which the Republicans lost with the spineless bunch we had the last couple of years. C) You're bringing up Dean, a psychotic, loudmouth, former governer with multiple failed attempts at higher office as an example of brilliance? Does not compute.
    A and B) I haven't seen much evidence of these, though I'd love to take a look at anything you have.

    C) Multiple failed attempts? He ran for president exactly once. And I say he's brilliant because his 50-state strategy paved the way for the substantial gains Democrats made in '06 and '08. If it weren't for Dean in the DNC, I doubt Democrats would have won half the congressional seats they did, and I doubt Obama would have done quite so well in states like NC.

    I don't want us to be left at all, if the constitution forbids something we need to tell those suggesting said change to stick it......the problem is the spineless Rebublicans I mentioned earlier that think going to the center wins elections.
    The center does win elections. If the Democrat wins his base and the center, he wins. If the Democrat wins his base and splits the middle, he still wins. Remember, Democrats have a significant advantage in registration nowdays. what was true in the past is not true today.
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  9. #159
    Advisor don'ttreadonme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    TX
    Last Seen
    08-17-11 @ 01:30 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    340

    Re: Michael Steele becomes first black RNC chairman

    Quote Originally Posted by StandUpChuck View Post
    I know what you're saying DTOM, and I wish the party followed that principle more. However, as an individual, I'm glad to see the reach out to those 2 groups. I think I'm as schizophrenic as our party leaders.
    And I'm someone who will bolt if they go too "moderate."

  10. #160
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Michael Steele becomes first black RNC chairman

    Quote Originally Posted by StandUpChuck View Post
    Well, these are my 2 issues where I break with conservatives a bit. I don't see the harm in reaching out to gays. I know a few gays who've always identified themselves as democrat, but they really lean conservative. Steele does not support gay marriage (nor does Obama, but the gay community tends to forget that), but that doesn't mean gays don't have a home with the GOP for the larger issues.
    Why do you think Conservatives don't reach out to gays? I donít think that just because many defend the idea of marriage being between a man and a woman they are automatically anti-gay.

    I don't know very many Conservatives who donít want Gays to have the rights of partnership and agree that we should have civil unions and leave marriage to the church.

    The problem occurs when STATES get into the business of marriage; that is when the chit hits the fan.

    Much like the debate on abortion; it wasn't a NATIONAL issue until the activists and a few activist justices divined the Constitutional right that we began to see divisions on this issue.

    It was all about State's rights and should have remained in the "State."

    I would not say that I am 100% against abortion; I believe there are much better choices than killing the unborn.

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •