Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 52

Thread: Mandate could force gas stations out of business

  1. #31
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    05-13-11 @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,075
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Mandate could force gas stations out of business

    In economic times that are currently being experienced the loss of any business can be critical for any state.
    It is an established fact that small businesses employ more people (overall) than large business conglomerates.
    If this measure is rigorously enforced it will have a detrimental effect on the economy of the state in question.
    Gas stations cannot exist solely on the sale of gas.
    They frequently sell other products, are often open 24 hrs per day, for which more staff are required.
    Closure would send the unemployment sky high, this in turn would affect the taxes to the state.
    However we shall await to see if the terminator will continue the termination of what was once the richest state of the union.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Mandate could force gas stations out of business

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Question in regards to the original article is do those gas stations get an additional write off on taxes for this purchase?

    If so, what is the problem? Just syain
    I love it when people who have no idea what running a business is like say things like this.

    Here's an example, pretend I am using crayon, of how absurd these types of statements are:

    In order to comply with the new regulation, the small business owner has to spend, for purposes of illustration, $20,000 of his own money. Yes it is true that this expense brings down the small business owners taxable income; but it does not make up for the $20,000 dollars he had to shell out complying with idiotic regulations that do NOTHING to preserve the environment. Here is why; say the small business owners tax liability is 35%. Well, he will reduce his taxes by a mere $20,000 times .35% or a mere $7,000. But it cost him $20,000 to comply with said regulations therefore he is OUT $13,000.00.

    But hey, that is the price one must pay to satisfy whacked out environmentalist regulations which change almost as fast as the weather and places the burden entirely on the business person thus increasing the costs for EVERYONE, particularly the small guy who barely makes ends meet that Liberals love to champion right?? Why do I say it increases the costs to the little guy? Well, in order to cover the additional expense of compliance, the business owners will also have to raise their prices. The people who pay the most for such misguided legislation happen to be the very people the Liberals love to champion and claim they want to help.

    You just have to admire the irony of such Liberal ideas donít you?

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Mandate could force gas stations out of business

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post
    The mom and pop gas stations all went out of business long ago because of underground tank regulations.
    That is not a factual statement; there is a LOT of "mom and pop" stations still in business. The underground tank regulations only served to raise the costs to ALL of us who purchase gas products in the long run.

    I suggest you do a search on gas station ownership; many of them are privately owned by small operators and families.

  4. #34
    Phoenecian
    Indy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    03-22-13 @ 04:36 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,089

    Re: Mandate could force gas stations out of business

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Envirowackos 1, hard working people 0.


    Mandate could force gas stations out of business - Pasadena Star-News

    Small businesses, the little guy out there, has to shut down, has to stop earning a living.

    I bet ya many of these places will get bought out by bigger companies... gee, you don't think that someone is looking to make money from this... nah.

    This is really all about Mother Gaia right?
    So the gov't should be responsible for tweaking the playing field to allow more gas stations to stay open? Seriously, this is your stance?

    We aren't allowed to change our fuel efficiancy standards because some people won't be able to sell gas? Heaven forbid they get a job in some other industry that is more beneficial for society.
    Affiant further sayeth not.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: Mandate could force gas stations out of business

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    That is not a factual statement; there is a LOT of "mom and pop" stations still in business. The underground tank regulations only served to raise the costs to ALL of us who purchase gas products in the long run.

    I suggest you do a search on gas station ownership; many of them are privately owned by small operators and families.
    If you say so. Not around here there aren't any.

  6. #36
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Mandate could force gas stations out of business

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    That is not a factual statement; there is a LOT of "mom and pop" stations still in business. The underground tank regulations only served to raise the costs to ALL of us who purchase gas products in the long run.

    I suggest you do a search on gas station ownership; many of them are privately owned by small operators and families.
    You made the claim please provide some research on your claim.

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Mandate could force gas stations out of business

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    You made the claim please provide some research on your claim.
    No, I countered the claim that most have been run out of the business. I see you are still too lazy to do your own research.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Mandate could force gas stations out of business

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    So the gov't should be responsible for tweaking the playing field to allow more gas stations to stay open? Seriously, this is your stance?

    We aren't allowed to change our fuel efficiancy standards because some people won't be able to sell gas? Heaven forbid they get a job in some other industry that is more beneficial for society.
    That is not the argument; the argument is that if the Government for the sake of a particular vocal constituency is going to pass onerous and absurd regulations that burden the small business person to comply with regulations supported by suspect science, then they should consider tax incentives to assist those businesses to perform said modifications.

    If you don't know, California already passed numerous previous laws requiring gas owners to modify their pumps and tanks to rectify this issue. Now, once again, they have decided that was not enough so they passed a new law with new equipment requirements that are highly specialized, usually have a single source (perhaps lobbied for none-the-less) and are costly to implement. One has to wonder when enough will be enough.

    But you have to ask yourself this question Indy, who ultimately pays for these modifications and who suffers the burden of these regulations the most once they have been paid for by the businesses?

  9. #39
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Mandate could force gas stations out of business

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    No, I countered the claim that most have been run out of the business. I see you are still too lazy to do your own research.
    Why can not you back up your own claim?

    I already busted you once on the the Rush thing not being charged.

    Put up or shut up.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: Mandate could force gas stations out of business

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    That is not a factual statement; there is a LOT of "mom and pop" stations still in business. The underground tank regulations only served to raise the costs to ALL of us who purchase gas products in the long run.

    I suggest you do a search on gas station ownership; many of them are privately owned by small operators and families.
    Deep trouble for gas stations - new environmental regulations | Nation's Business | Find Articles at BNET

    A tough new federal law is expected to cause a sharp decline in the number of U.S. gasoline stations over the next six years. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates that 53 percent of the approximately 80,000 rural gas stations - and 25 percent of the 200,000 stations nationwide - will close by the end of 1998 because of new federal regulations affecting underground storage tanks.
    There you go. Most went out of business.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •