Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 88

Thread: 93-year-old froze to death, owed big utility bill

  1. #41
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,271

    Re: 93-year-old froze to death, owed big utility bill

    Because they're job was installing limiters maybe, and they had other houses to get to. I don't, but you're expecting them to act like his family. It's a job and they are a business.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #42
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: 93-year-old froze to death, owed big utility bill

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Because they're job was installing limiters maybe, and they had other houses to get to. I don't, but you're expecting them to act like his family. It's a job and they are a business.
    An electric utility is a public trust. They are providing a service and granted a monopoly to provide something that is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to the preservation of human life in the dead cold of winter in Michigan. They MUST be expected to meet a higher standard in such a situation. This is EXACTLY why many states do not allow electric cut offs in the dead of winter. Frankly, I am surprised Michigan is NOT one of those states, especially when a state like NH IS!
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  3. #43
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,271

    Re: 93-year-old froze to death, owed big utility bill

    It is one of those states, but the small utility is not under their control. In a perfect world we'd all act like Jesus, but we're not so don't be too harsh.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  4. #44
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: 93-year-old froze to death, owed big utility bill

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    It is one of those states, but the small utility is not under their control. In a perfect world we'd all act like Jesus, but we're not so don't be too harsh.
    THey have a responsibility to the citizens. THough I am a Christian, I DO fail to live up to his example, but my failings have not resulted in the death of a person to my knowledge. When you provide a service necessary to maintaining human life AND you have a monopoly on that service, we have a right to hold you to a higher standard.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  5. #45
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,452
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 93-year-old froze to death, owed big utility bill

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    An electric utility is a public trust. They are providing a service and granted a monopoly to provide something that is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to the preservation of human life in the dead cold of winter in Michigan. They MUST be expected to meet a higher standard in such a situation. This is EXACTLY why many states do not allow electric cut offs in the dead of winter. Frankly, I am surprised Michigan is NOT one of those states, especially when a state like NH IS!
    This seems like a familiar argument. Healthcare, anyone?

    This instance, as well as healthcare in general, fall back to the question:

    Do people have the right to the basic necessities needed for life?
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  6. #46
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: 93-year-old froze to death, owed big utility bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    This seems like a familiar argument. Healthcare, anyone?

    This instance, as well as healthcare in general, fall back to the question:

    Do people have the right to the basic necessities needed for life?
    In a modern, developed society, sure they do. Before you say American's don't have health care, that is a crock. Public hospitals are required to take indigent cases. If, as a society, we can't take care of our most vulnerable, than we really HAVE failed. This man died because his electricity was cut off. That is a crime - if not legally, than definately morally.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  7. #47
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: 93-year-old froze to death, owed big utility bill

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Does it matter? It is winter, he is old, under no circumstances should the company shut off his power.
    I'm curious, whether it was a private company or a public one.

  8. #48
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,452
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 93-year-old froze to death, owed big utility bill

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    In a modern, developed society, sure they do. Before you say American's don't have health care, that is a crock. Public hospitals are required to take indigent cases. If, as a society, we can't take care of our most vulnerable, than we really HAVE failed. This man died because his electricity was cut off. That is a crime - if not legally, than definately morally.
    I agree with most of that. Like you, I believe that we should take care of our own, especially our most vulnerable. But a lot falls through the cracks, including many the many who don't have the medical care they need.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  9. #49
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: 93-year-old froze to death, owed big utility bill

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    I'm curious, whether it was a private company or a public one.
    As best I can tell from what I am reading it is public, but I am not 100% sure.

    Regardless, as it is a government granted monopoly, whether public of private, considering the service it provides, it should be held to a higher standard.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  10. #50
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,452
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 93-year-old froze to death, owed big utility bill

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    I'm curious, whether it was a private company or a public one.
    Does it matter?

    Was this man entitled to get the heat that he needed for survival despite not paying his bills? It's either a yes or a no, depending on who you view this matter of morality.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •