Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 231

Thread: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

  1. #81
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    How is that the "worst logic" you have ever heard? A car takes us from point A to point B, whether it be to work, to a hospital, to the grocery store to get food. A car is essentially a necessity. Cigarettes, however, are NOT (and don't give me this BS about how nicotine addiction makes cigarettes a necessity).
    A car is not a necessity, nor will it ever be one. Riding a bike or walking are far better for your health, the environment and the people of the city you live in. So now that we have established that driving a car is something that has pros and cons, like everything else, and not a necessity, let us discuss the benefits of cigarette smoking:

    - Helps individuals cope with stress
    - The rhythmic breathing calms the smoker
    - Helps focus
    - Fights loneliness and depression
    - Stimulates serotonin in the brain

    So, like everything in this world, cars and cigarettes both have upsides and downsides to their use.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  2. #82
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    A car is not a necessity, nor will it ever be one. Riding a bike or walking are far better for your health, the environment and the people of the city you live in. So now that we have established that driving a car is something that has pros and cons, like everything else, and not a necessity, let us discuss the benefits of cigarette smoking:

    - Helps individuals cope with stress
    - The rhythmic breathing calms the smoker
    - Helps focus
    - Fights loneliness and depression
    - Stimulates serotonin in the brain

    So, like everything in this world, cars and cigarettes both have upsides and downsides to their use.
    Yeah, and the above is evidence of some really good logic. NOT. Sorry. I think your argument stinks.

  3. #83
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    Yeah, and the above is evidence of some really good logic. NOT. Sorry. I think your argument stinks.
    Well I am sorry you fail to grasp my argument.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  4. #84
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-23-17 @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,429
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    This is another instance where this should be a state issue, and not a federal one. I understand SCHIP is federal funds that "match" state funds, but when the state funds see shortfalls, its not the responsibility of the government to pick up their slack. States can, and do, increase taxes on their cigarettes to fund these kinds of things, and while I agree that taking money from an unrelated group, to fund something that has nothing to do with them is sketchy and downright scary, I'd be more comfortable if the feds were not involved. Just like people need to excercise some personal responsibility and pay for their own mistakes, so too should states.
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  5. #85
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke[MaxX] View Post
    Then good? If a large majority of the country's children one day grow up under a specific standard, then their respective children will probably not need the program that their parents went through.

    And I'm all for taxing smokers, personally. Should one group have to suffer for no apparent reason? No, but there is a reason here and I'd consider it payback since smokers put pollutants into the air that we all breathe in, not just them. There's second-hand AND third-hand smoke that are quite dangerous and lowers life expectancy. Why should they be taxed for something that doesn't benefit them? Why should I have to breathe their polluted air?
    You are living in a pipe dream if you think Tobacco taxes are going to be paying for the SCHIP program. Because when you tax the fuck out of something people are going to either going to stop smoking(which is a good thing but not for the program it is funding) or they are going to smoke less(which is a good thing but not for the program it is funding) or they are going to find other sources(grow their own, buy on tribal land, mail order and etc) all three which will reduce revenue for the SCHIP program.I am pretty sure they had to use to some projections of what they may get in revenue in order to make the tax seem like a good idea in the first place, however since they were just trying to increase funding for a program I am also sure those tax revenue projections didn't take into account of people quitting,people smoking less or going to other sources for tobacco. We are going to be stuck with a program increase that is going to cost everyone.

    Our population is increasing and medical care is rising in cost so that means more money will be needed to fund those programs. Do you think that when tobacco products are not producing the desired tax revenue revenue needed to fund the SCHIP bill increase that those in office are going to go "Oh crap! we do not have enough money lets cancel the programor reduce cost"? No they are not going to do that, they are going to argue that we need the program and they are going to find other **** to increase taxes on to make up the difference.
    Last edited by jamesrage; 01-29-09 at 02:14 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #86
    Professor
    Shewter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Puget Sound
    Last Seen
    02-21-13 @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,995

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    Is that number of businesses that closed supposed to be "high"?
    Is that number of businesses acceptable to you? They would be perfectly fine and standing if they were not forced to ban a legal practice on their own property.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Don't apologize to me over that silly ****. I could care less if I can see the dust or not.
    Now apologize for apologizing!

  7. #87
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Well I am sorry you fail to grasp my argument.
    I don't fail to grasp your argument--I fail to see that it's a good one.

  8. #88
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    I don't fail to grasp your argument--I fail to see that it's a good one.
    Then use facts, a concept apparently alien to you, to explain why that is so.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Obesity actually consumes more health care dollars now than smoking.
    Yes but smokers are charitable while fatties are just fat.

  10. #90
    Professor
    Shewter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Puget Sound
    Last Seen
    02-21-13 @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,995

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    I don't fail to grasp your argument--I fail to see that it's a good one.
    If you want an appropriate comparison.

    Should we add the tax onto fast food?

    Should we add the tax onto Soda?

    Should we add the tax onto over the counter medicine?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Don't apologize to me over that silly ****. I could care less if I can see the dust or not.
    Now apologize for apologizing!

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •