Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 231

Thread: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

  1. #181
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Shewter View Post
    But smokers are OBVIOUSLY disgusting so who cares right?
    Now you get it.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  2. #182
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Stop using rational thinking and logic it confuses the emotional non thinkers.
    If a person chooses to be obese through his or her own actions, that is their problem. However, when you smoke, you now only destroy your own health, you poison all those around you breathing the poison from your cancer sticks.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  3. #183
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    If a person chooses to be obese through his or her own actions, that is their problem. However, when you smoke, you now only destroy your own health, you poison all those around you breathing the poison from your cancer sticks.
    same is true if you choose to operate a motor vehicle.

  4. #184
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    If a person chooses to be obese through his or her own actions, that is their problem. However, when you smoke, you now only destroy your own health, you poison all those around you breathing the poison from your cancer sticks.
    False, I don't smoke around other people.

    Try again.
    Last edited by Harry Guerrilla; 02-01-09 at 09:44 PM.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #185
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    11-30-09 @ 04:11 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    446

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    Yes, the cost to government is likely negligible and possibly even a positive.

    The very first sentence from the article I linked: Preventing obesity and smoking can save lives, but it doesn’t save money
    So let's let people harm themselves (and others through second and third-hand smoke) so that we can save money? Why not just put rat poison in everybody's food once they reach 50 then?

  6. #186
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke[MaxX] View Post
    So let's let people harm themselves (and others through second and third-hand smoke) so that we can save money? Why not just put rat poison in everybody's food once they reach 50 then?
    nice straw man.

    This is about taxing something and claiming it is justified because of the cost associated.

    If you want to argue for the outright prohibition, then do so, but this argument is hiding behind tax increases alone.

  7. #187
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by missypea View Post
    I read this:

    I'm pissed because some fat lady (who doesn't deserve health care because she's so fat) is getting health care.

    WUT??

    You should have read, I'm pissed because some fat lady is causing increases in my premiums because she chooses to do NOTHING about being fat.

    Come on, missypea. I'm insulted.

  8. #188
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Why is Nationalized Health Care a great thing to have?
    You do realize that a NHC program can allow you to pick from your current doctor or another no?

    You do realize that stripping out insurance profits can subsantially reduce costs to you for the same medical benefits no? In some ways, NHC can eliminate the middle man in the same fashion that Dell eliminated the middle man.

    Why do individuals like yourself have to force people to participate when they don't want to?
    So you're for pacifists refusing to pay taxes because they fund war?
    Or companies that pollute to pay for superfund clean ups?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  9. #189
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    same is true if you choose to operate a motor vehicle.
    Not really. Motor Vehicles are not designed primarily to destroy one's health and the health of others. Furthermore, electric and hybrids have far less emissions.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  10. #190
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    This legislation punishes smokers that don't smoke around people (i.e. just in their homes), but it addresses the health needs of people that may be harmed by a far greater majority of public smokers.

    Libertarians just don't like the idea of government taxing anyone on anything... but that is the modern era. The population is so huge, and management much more complex. If you want to continue living in a developed nation, there has to be someone maintaining it. Local community living is becoming a thing of the past due to increasingly complex interconnected economy, not to mention foreign entanglement. Much smaller government = you don't survive.

    Better to tax smokers who don't care about the risks to their own health and the health of others, than to just tax everybody for the same policy. Smokers are indeed a demonized group, but it's not unfairly so. There are studies up the wazoo on smoking and second hand smoke. If people want to continue to perpetuate health problems, then the system will be financially unkind to them. I think that is fair.

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •