Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 231

Thread: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

  1. #121
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    If it doesn't hurt me I don't care. Good I don't use that product, let them tax the hell out of it. Disgusting, you don't mind giving away other people's freedoms. Be careful what you don't care about, you might get it.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #122
    Professor
    Shewter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Puget Sound
    Last Seen
    02-21-13 @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,995

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke[MaxX] View Post
    But now YOU'RE charging ME to do something against my will. See how YOUR argument was turned against you? There is a reason why there's the concept of suburbs. Partially to get away from "the city" and partially to have cheaper residential areas.
    What makes you think I'm charging you to do something against your will? Your choice is there all along. You, just as I, make a choice to do these things each day. The mere fact that you decide to live in that area, or work farther away from where you live does not dictate how you commute, does it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Don't apologize to me over that silly ****. I could care less if I can see the dust or not.
    Now apologize for apologizing!

  3. #123
    Professor
    Shewter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Puget Sound
    Last Seen
    02-21-13 @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,995

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    *yawn* Insult me all you want. I have no shame in how I feel about smoking and smokers, and I am reveling in all the no-smoking laws that are getting passed around the United States. Do you think all these people making the laws are uncalm, irrational, and illogical adults?

    You're the one that is furious about these laws being passed. So why you think you're calm, rational, and logical is beyond me. You're blinded by your anger. Pot, meet kettle.
    Support me with evidence that my smoking negatively impacts you.

    Explain to me what is "right" about denying a legal practice on ones property.

    Also, explain to me what the benefit is when people will end up buying their cigarettes on the reservations and contribute ZERO taxes to the SCHIP program, and any other taxes for state, and federal purposes.

    Push a person long enough and they'll push back. Think about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Don't apologize to me over that silly ****. I could care less if I can see the dust or not.
    Now apologize for apologizing!

  4. #124
    Professor
    Shewter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Puget Sound
    Last Seen
    02-21-13 @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,995

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    If it doesn't hurt me I don't care. Good I don't use that product, let them tax the hell out of it. Disgusting, you don't mind giving away other people's freedoms. Be careful what you don't care about, you might get it.
    But smokers are OBVIOUSLY disgusting so who cares right?

    The tune of the song is always clear to those who sing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Don't apologize to me over that silly ****. I could care less if I can see the dust or not.
    Now apologize for apologizing!

  5. #125
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Shewter View Post
    I'm "pissed off" about them taxing a specific product without regards to the people.

    There has yet to be a reason that is acceptable to myself and many others. The only agreeable parties are those who dislike cigarettes in general.
    I do see your point. I would like to read the rationale for this tax. I think it's easier for them to tax an item that isn't a necessity than one that is (food). I dunno.

  6. #126
    Professor
    Shewter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Puget Sound
    Last Seen
    02-21-13 @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,995

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    I do see your point. I would like to read the rationale for this tax. I think it's easier for them to tax an item that isn't a necessity than one that is (food). I dunno.
    I think it is easier for them to tax a commodity unavailable through other means. Say, gasoline?

    But for that matter, I find it wrong that they are forcing the support of the program no matter what it is. Like I said before, if a company wanted to add on to the costs of their product in order to donate the excess to, say, SCHIP.. I would be all for that. And if I agree with what their money is being donated to I will continue to buy the product.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Don't apologize to me over that silly ****. I could care less if I can see the dust or not.
    Now apologize for apologizing!

  7. #127
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    I don't have a problem with this. I have to pay higher health insurance premiums because of smokers. And, yes, I have to pay higher premiums for obesity. I would support a higher tax on food as well. Those who eat more should pay more.

    missypea, I have to admit, I am such a cigarette hater that I don't care and, in fact, like it when cigarette smokers are punished by paying more for their disgusting habit. I'm sorry, but that's how it is for me.
    How about we tax the people who have children, without thinking about the consequences of having to support them with health care.

    I have to pay more for these people, lets tax the hell out of them.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #128
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Shewter View Post
    Support me with evidence that my smoking negatively impacts you.

    Explain to me what is "right" about denying a legal practice on ones property.

    Also, explain to me what the benefit is when people will end up buying their cigarettes on the reservations and contribute ZERO taxes to the SCHIP program, and any other taxes for state, and federal purposes.

    Push a person long enough and they'll push back. Think about it.
    We're not going to see eye to eye on this issue of smoking. I think it's a disgusting habit. I hate the smell of it. I choose to NOT go to places that allow smoking. I resent the number of cigarette butts outside my office building and outside every entrance/exit of the subway system (since smoking isn't allowed in any subway station), and in my own neighborhood. When I do a trash pick-up in my neighborhood, the majority of that trash is cigarette butts. That pisses me off. I hate how the majority of smokers seem to think that the earth is their ashtray. I can't remember the last time I saw someone who was entering the subway system put out their butt and put it in the trash. Every one of them just throws it on the ground. I hate litterers, and I feel that way about someone who throws any sort of trash on the ground.

    It's very interesting that you think everyone is going to start buying cigarettes through Indian reservations. Do they have a website where one can order them? If they do, I suspect that if I order a pack from an Indian reservation in Arizona, I'm going to have to pay Virginia taxes since I live in Virginia.

  9. #129
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Shewter View Post
    I think it is easier for them to tax a commodity unavailable through other means. Say, gasoline?

    But for that matter, I find it wrong that they are forcing the support of the program no matter what it is. Like I said before, if a company wanted to add on to the costs of their product in order to donate the excess to, say, SCHIP.. I would be all for that. And if I agree with what their money is being donated to I will continue to buy the product.
    I took Constitutional law a looooong time ago, but if my memory serves me correctly, the tax has to have some sort of relevance to the purpose of the tax. For example, if we need to build roads, it's appropriate to tax gasoline for that expense. Why choosing the habit of smoking for health care--I dunno. Was it you that suggested over-the-counter medication? I would support a tax on that.

  10. #130
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    11-30-09 @ 04:11 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    446

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Shewter View Post
    What makes you think I'm charging you to do something against your will? Your choice is there all along. You, just as I, make a choice to do these things each day. The mere fact that you decide to live in that area, or work farther away from where you live does not dictate how you commute, does it?
    Are you serious? Then don't smoke! Problem solved.

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •