Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 231

Thread: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

  1. #111
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Shewter View Post
    These poor folks could save lots of money if they stopped _________ . Wow. What a concept.

    Would YOU be okay with this bill taxing fast food sales, soda, over the counter medicine, or anything of the sort?

    If a cigarette company wanted to add on to the costs of their product in order to donate to ________ I would be fine with that. But the government deciding on a product to tax heavier in order to support _________ bugs the **** out of me.

    As a side note, these poor folks will be saving money when they buy their cigarettes on indian reservations instead of buying them at the local gas station or grocery store.

    Then where is the funding going to come from?
    I don't eat at fast food restaurants, and I rarely drink sodas. Frankly, I wouldn't care if they taxed those two things. While I take over-the-counter medicine, I also wouldn't care if they taxed that as well.

    You're pissed off about the cigarette tax. I, however, am not.

  2. #112
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    Is it that week again? Seems so soon.
    My dislike/hatred for smoking somehow comes and goes? Okay.

  3. #113
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by missypea View Post
    I know you hate smokers, Aps but try to separate yourself for that for a moment. I really would like to know what you think about this.

    If the government's intent is to tax cigarettes because they feel smoking is "punishable" are you truly OK with that?

    I'm not saying that is the intent but it makes me wonder.
    I don't have a problem with this. I have to pay higher health insurance premiums because of smokers. And, yes, I have to pay higher premiums for obesity. I would support a higher tax on food as well. Those who eat more should pay more.

    missypea, I have to admit, I am such a cigarette hater that I don't care and, in fact, like it when cigarette smokers are punished by paying more for their disgusting habit. I'm sorry, but that's how it is for me.

  4. #114
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    The government likes to encourage stupid behavior. We're easier to deal with if we're on the whole dumber. That's why lotto tickets pay for schools and cigs pay for health care. It elevates retarded to new levels just the way the government likes it.
    People who are affected by this law can bring it to court claiming it's unconstitutional. We can let the courts decide whether it's appropriate for a cigarette tax to pay for health care.

  5. #115
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    11-30-09 @ 04:11 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    446

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Shewter View Post
    Choose to live closer to your place of work.

    Choose to work closer to your home.

    See, this "it's a choice" arguement is kinda boring when it's turned back onto you isnt it?
    But now YOU'RE charging ME to do something against my will. See how YOUR argument was turned against you? There is a reason why there's the concept of suburbs. Partially to get away from "the city" and partially to have cheaper residential areas.

    I could potentially live right next to my place of work. But then I'd be paying 2 or 3 times more. Maybe I couldn't find a residence there, in fact. Is it a choice if there are zero homes available closer to my place of work? Or maybe I choose not to live in a place that, after work hours, gets quite dangerous and/or loud. Or what if I have a child? Would you recommend that I tell my child to walk to school everyday? Wouldn't that mean that you support the endangerment of children?

    I would rather this didn't turn into a game of "what-ifs." If my argument is so terrible, then prove it's terrible. Don't say "well yeah, but if a bolt of lightning strikes a rock which flies into the air and hits a cow that moos and scares a boy who runs into a rake that launches a pail into the sky it could hit me on the head and kill me" because that would definitely be a very convincing argument

  6. #116
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    missypea, I have to admit, I am such a cigarette hater that I don't care and, in fact, like it when cigarette smokers are punished by paying more for their disgusting habit. I'm sorry, but that's how it is for me.
    People like you need smoke blown in your face on a daily basis.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #117
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    People like you need smoke blown in your face on a daily basis.
    You must be a smoker. I pity people like you.

  8. #118
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    You must be a smoker. I pity people like you.
    Nope, I'm not a smoker. I just can stand emotionalized ignorance is all. I'd take people like you, and people the opposite of you (the smokers who don't give a **** about anyone around them) and lock y'all in a room. Let ya sit around being jerks to each other all you want. Then the calm, rational, and logical adults can sit down and make the rules. We don't need crying children making laws, they should just sit in the corner while the grown ups handle it.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #119
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Nope, I'm not a smoker. I just can stand emotionalized ignorance is all. I'd take people like you, and people the opposite of you (the smokers who don't give a **** about anyone around them) and lock y'all in a room. Let ya sit around being jerks to each other all you want. Then the calm, rational, and logical adults can sit down and make the rules. We don't need crying children making laws, they should just sit in the corner while the grown ups handle it.
    *yawn* Insult me all you want. I have no shame in how I feel about smoking and smokers, and I am reveling in all the no-smoking laws that are getting passed around the United States. Do you think all these people making the laws are uncalm, irrational, and illogical adults?

    You're the one that is furious about these laws being passed. So why you think you're calm, rational, and logical is beyond me. You're blinded by your anger. Pot, meet kettle.
    Last edited by aps; 01-30-09 at 02:05 PM.

  10. #120
    Professor
    Shewter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Puget Sound
    Last Seen
    02-21-13 @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,995

    Re: House Passes 2009 SCHIP Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    I don't eat at fast food restaurants, and I rarely drink sodas. Frankly, I wouldn't care if they taxed those two things. While I take over-the-counter medicine, I also wouldn't care if they taxed that as well.

    You're pissed off about the cigarette tax. I, however, am not.
    I'm "pissed off" about them taxing a specific product without regards to the people.

    There has yet to be a reason that is acceptable to myself and many others. The only agreeable parties are those who dislike cigarettes in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Don't apologize to me over that silly ****. I could care less if I can see the dust or not.
    Now apologize for apologizing!

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •