Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Russia 'stops missile deployment in Europe because of Obama'

  1. #11
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Russia 'stops missile deployment in Europe because of Obama'

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    That is what the right wing usually does in times of crisis
    What does the "right wing" have to do with the actions of Russian dictators?
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  2. #12
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    07-11-11 @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,249

    Re: Russia 'stops missile deployment in Europe because of Obama'

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    What does the "right wing" have to do with the actions of Russian dictators?
    When you see a stupid comment like that and it really leaps out at you due to its puerile nature? That my friend is what we call a PeteEUism.

  3. #13
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Russia 'stops missile deployment in Europe because of Obama'

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    That is what the right wing usually does in times of crisis
    Yeah, when that damned Bill Clinton, right winger extrodinarie started bombing all over the place to distract from the Monica scandal....

    Oh wait...

  4. #14
    Advisor Richard Nixon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Last Seen
    10-26-16 @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    473

    Re: Russia 'stops missile deployment in Europe because of Obama'

    For a start nobody is sure Iran can make a nuclear bomb. Besides that Iran has no solid ICBM program capable of hitting the US yet. They've fired into space once but they still have resounding issues.

    Besides that - this is a good thing. The less tension the better.
    www.thecaffeinemachine.com - looking for main-page political writers, so if anyone is interested send a PM (apologies if that violates any rules)

  5. #15
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Russia 'stops missile deployment in Europe because of Obama'

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Nixon View Post
    For a start nobody is sure Iran can make a nuclear bomb. Besides that Iran has no solid ICBM program capable of hitting the US yet. They've fired into space once but they still have resounding issues.

    Besides that - this is a good thing. The less tension the better.
    Iran can hit Israel, and Israel HAS the ability to respond.

    Iran can hit Turkey, we have a base in Turkey...


    People are under this misguided belief that a bomb is hard to build.. it's not.

    40lbs of U-235 and you can make a working atomic weapon with a yield between 10-20KT. Making a 2 stage Fission/Fusion weapon is harder, but it's mostly straight forward physics.

  6. #16
    Advisor Richard Nixon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Last Seen
    10-26-16 @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    473

    Re: Russia 'stops missile deployment in Europe because of Obama'

    I don't know, it seems to be quite hard for Iran to do it.

    Oh, and Pakistan CAN hit Turkey and Israel; they have confirmed nuclear abilities. Not speculated. Are you afraid of Pakistan? I mean, Pakistan is a haven for the mujahideen and full of madrasah's; there's a distinct and plausible possibility the mujahideen could get some of his technology. Are you worried about that? Your logic is flawed. The US Embassy in Yemen is attacked a lot - are you going to invade Yemen? The argument the US uses to the nuclear problem is the possibility of developing ICBM technology capable of carrying a nuke to the US. It's why the shield was made...apparently.
    www.thecaffeinemachine.com - looking for main-page political writers, so if anyone is interested send a PM (apologies if that violates any rules)

  7. #17
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Russia 'stops missile deployment in Europe because of Obama'

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Great news, who knew the way to stop Russia was so simple?
    I'm not surprised by this development. When a nation indicates a willingness to accommodate another's critical interests, the result can be positive.

    Given Russia's insecurity that has been nurtured by its tragic history, Russia was unwilling to accept assurances that the NATO missile defense system was not aimed against it. As far as Russia's policymakers were concerned, the present system posed no threat to Russia's nuclear arsenal, but might have done so in the future. Then, technological advances could change the system's capabilities. Therefore, Russia had committed itself to opposing a system that it felt was not justified by current threats and that it believed could pose an eventual danger to its own national security.

    As a way out, it offered a compromise whereby the system's radar could be constructed in Azerbaijan. That compromise could still offer a basis for negotiations. Ultimately, the two parties will need to accommodate one another's critical interests if there is to be an agreement. President Obama took a big step in that direction in suggesting that the U.S. could reconsider the system in its current arrangement. Russia reciprocated.

    That's a good start for taking the U.S.-Russia relationship off a colision course. Much work, some of which will be difficult, remains to be done to narrow the differences that were permitted to grow in recent years.

  8. #18
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Russia 'stops missile deployment in Europe because of Obama'

    Maybe not:

    VOA News - Russia Denies Missile Suspension

    Russian Defense Ministry officials are denying Russian news reports of a suspension of plans to deploy missiles in the country's Baltic enclave of Kaliningrad.

    The officials called the reports "premature. " They said Russia has not taken any practical steps to deploy the short-range Iskander missiles and therefore one can not speak of a suspension.
    Quote Originally Posted by shiznit770
    I'm sure the people in eastern Europe are relieved they will no longer have missiles next door for the only purpose of targeting their US radar and interceptors.
    Yea, the people in Eastern Europe were just FURIOUS over our plans:

    Poland, U.S. sign missile shield deal - CNN.com

    U.S.-Czech missile deal raises Russian ire - CNN.com
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  9. #19
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Russia 'stops missile deployment in Europe because of Obama'

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
    When you see a stupid comment like that and it really leaps out at you due to its puerile nature? That my friend is what we call a PeteEUism.
    Wow, you and I have agreed on something.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-29-10 @ 12:03 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,379

    Re: Russia 'stops missile deployment in Europe because of Obama'

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    I'm not surprised by this development. When a nation indicates a willingness to accommodate another's critical interests, the result can be positive.

    Given Russia's insecurity that has been nurtured by its tragic history, Russia was unwilling to accept assurances that the NATO missile defense system was not aimed against it. As far as Russia's policymakers were concerned, the present system posed no threat to Russia's nuclear arsenal, but might have done so in the future. Then, technological advances could change the system's capabilities. Therefore, Russia had committed itself to opposing a system that it felt was not justified by current threats and that it believed could pose an eventual danger to its own national security.

    As a way out, it offered a compromise whereby the system's radar could be constructed in Azerbaijan. That compromise could still offer a basis for negotiations. Ultimately, the two parties will need to accommodate one another's critical interests if there is to be an agreement. President Obama took a big step in that direction in suggesting that the U.S. could reconsider the system in its current arrangement. Russia reciprocated.

    That's a good start for taking the U.S.-Russia relationship off a colision course. Much work, some of which will be difficult, remains to be done to narrow the differences that were permitted to grow in recent years.
    don, Obama never took step in that direction. he rather appointed Clinton who demnstrated to be very anti-Putin and anti- Russian. As Russia stands against ideas of the spreading of the Western demoacracy it is dificult to expect reasonable attitude towards it from the spreaders.

    Many of the posters above cannot read the basic text:

    “Deployment of Iskander short-range missiles, which can carry nuclear warheads, was being suspended”

    It was being suspended, it was not stopped (NOT EVEN MENTIONING THAT IT NEVER STARTED)

    It is not ever news. Russia has been telling from the beginning, - IF you deploy a dozen of 10 interceptor missiles which cannot be a tread to Russia, we deploy a dozen of Iskanders which cannot be a tread to the West. You don’t use interceptor missiles against Russia, Russia does not use Iskanders.

    You deploy 10 more systems, Russia deploys ten more.

    20 more

    20 more

    and so on

    until the systems start shooting.

    As well you may choose not to deploy the first dozen. Russia will not deploy Iskanders. No systems waiting to start shooting, no shooting.

    The idea of overspending Russia in the time of spending trillions of stimulus package may come only to people with short sided vision of RevH0d.
    Last edited by justone; 01-28-09 at 05:36 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •