Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 281

Thread: Democrats Launch Petition Against Rush Limbaugh

  1. #111
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Democrats Launch Petition Against Rush Limbaugh

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I don't think he "breeds hate", nor do I think very many of his listeners are "gullible" (actually they are quite informed, overall).
    I have had the misfortune of going to school with some kids whose parents subjected them to Limbaugh at a young age. Those were the gullible I was referring to.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  2. #112
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Democrats Launch Petition Against Rush Limbaugh

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    I have had the misfortune of going to school with some kids whose parents subjected them to Limbaugh at a young age. Those were the gullible I was referring to.
    I don't know. Was it Rush or the parents that did that?

    I'd say it was the parents more than anything else. Blaming Rush for that is like blaiming video games for violence. The parents hold the responsibility.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  3. #113
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Democrats Launch Petition Against Rush Limbaugh

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I see him as entertainer first personally, political activist second. And I think, though he wouldn't admit it, he does too. Its actually why, if I'm bored or struck by a certain fancy, I don't have issues listening to his show (and find myself agreeing with him at times and wanting to yell at my radio "you idiot" at others) where as people like hannity bore the **** out of me. Hannity is a political pundit that blathers on about issues. Rush is an entertainer that talks about Politics.
    Yeah, Hannity is boring as hell. At least Rush's somewhat irritating nature can be entertaining.

    And I give him all the props in the world for introducing me to the term "feminazi". That one does crack me up.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  4. #114
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Democrats Launch Petition Against Rush Limbaugh

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I don't know. Was it Rush or the parents that did that?

    I'd say it was the parents more than anything else. Blaming Rush for that is like blaiming video games for violence. The parents hold the responsibility.
    I would say that it was both. Subjecting children to abrasive rhetoric at a young age is a poor choice.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  5. #115
    Too big to fail
    niftydrifty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    03-03-16 @ 03:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,725

    Re: Democrats Launch Petition Against Rush Limbaugh

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Hey Nifty, I went back through the thread. Nope, I've seen you address no where that the quotes you quoted had no source, had no context, and in no way shape or form prove that these are his beliefs. Sorry, I looked...the most I've seen you say in regards to that is that he speaks propoganda, he tells mistruths, and that those are his words. None of these things counter that:

    1. You have no context with those quotes.
    2. You provide no proof that those are his actual beliefs and not part of a hyperbolic statement or some other form of parody.
    ok, whatever you say. even if he did say those things, he didn't believe what he said. not unless I can prove it.

    btw, are you aware that you used a couple of words lifted from a definition for "ad hominem" to discredit the way I presented my argument, which wasn't ad hominem at all? Just making sure. I chose to focus on whether or not you made ad hominems, because, uh, you did. it's funny how some will focus on the reaction rather than the impetus, whenever it suits them.
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3227&dateline=1247527  127

  6. #116
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,763

    Re: Democrats Launch Petition Against Rush Limbaugh

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
    Democrats Launch Petition Against Rush Limbaugh
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009
    By Melanie Hunter-Omar


    (CNSNews.com) – The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee has launched an online petition for readers to express their outrage at conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh for saying last week that he wanted President Barack Obama to fail.
    http://cnsnews.com/public/content/ar...x?RsrcID=42616


    On the heels of Obama’s ill advised Limbaugh comments, the DNC is now making the same mistake. Even starting a petition, sure wish I could recall the name of the poster who bravely predicted that Obama’s POTUS victory would spell the end for Limbaugh. Because clearly his show is about to experience an audience swell and even more exposure than usual, via Obama and the DNC. Jeez talking about playing into Limbaugh’s hands.
    Republicans need to quit whining, and instead, launch an online petition against Michael Moore, then call it even.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  7. #117
    Guru
    BWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South Coast
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 11:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,203

    Re: Democrats Launch Petition Against Rush Limbaugh

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Republicans need to quit whining, and instead, launch an online petition against Michael Moore, then call it even.
    C'mon man where've you been?....LOL....

    www.conservativepetitions.com
    “We just simply don’t know how to govern” - Rep. Steve Womack (R-AR) a member of the House Budget Committee

  8. #118
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    07-11-11 @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,249

    Re: Democrats Launch Petition Against Rush Limbaugh

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    When did I argue Limbaugh ignores context?

    And what context am I ignoring? Did I illustrate what was meant by this in any direction? Did I say that Obama's failure would lead to the nation's failure? Did I impugn Rush for saying this?

    No. I made a statemnt of fact.

    You invented the idea that I took him out of context in order to try and defend him.

    Did he or did he not say: "Why would I want that to succeed? I don't believe in that. I know that's not how this country is going to be great in the future; it's not what made this country great. So I shamelessly say, "No! I want him to fail.""

    If those are Rush's exact words, and I make no claims about what he means by them, there is no context for me to consider.

    Does he want Obama to fail?

    Yes, he has admitted this quite clearly.

    Did I state what that means?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post

    Absolutely not. So your complaint about me taking things out of context clearly ignore the context of my statements. and illustrates that you are more interested in defending than discussing.

    So please, don't invent arguments for me which I have not made.
    The comment you made that I replied to was this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    “Rush doesn't give a **** about what's best for the country, he cares only about what's best for Rush. I'd lay odds that he secretly in his heart of hearts was ROOTING for Obama to win the election.

    And now he not so secretly wants Obama to fail.


    Except he did not literally want Obama “to fail” and addressing the context in which he offered those comments is crucial to discussing what Rush did mean. I fail to see any argument you invented here that makes sense, aside from just arguing for arguments sake. Add to this that your subsequent comments in this thread reflect that you know what Rush did mean. Which was not what you chose to state before. Despite your claim that what you made was a "statement of fact".

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Thanks for making up another claim for me. I have never once in my entire life called Rush listeners "stupid" or "uneducated".
    I did not say you did. Others in this thread and every one I have ever read about Limbaugh do. You certainly were not speaking in context to what Limbaugh really did say when you said “And now he not so secretly wants Obama to fail”. I could care less if you don’t want comments like that noticed and commented on. Ditto if you don’t want to hear about how you blithely skipped over what Rush did say and what the context of those comments really were.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I don't mean "disenfranchised" as a negative term.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post

    Now, perhaps "disenfranchised" was not the right word. Perhaps "Pissed off at the government because they are not having their voices heard" would be a better one. Oh... wait... That is basically what the word actually means!

    Although the term is technically relating to the right to vote, it is often used colloquially to illustrate a group of people who feel that they are not being represented by government, or feel "voiceless".

    With liberals in office, this would most definitely include those who are Rush Limbaugh fans. In essense they turn to him as the "voice" of the people.

    That is what I meant by disenfranchised.

    If you have demographical data to refute my claim, please feel free to actually cite it instead of mention that it exists.

    The comment you made was this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    “This isn't because he wants what's best for the country, it's because the worse Obama does, the better his ratings will be. The more unhappy the people of the country are with "liberals" the more his ratings will increase.

    The more pain and suffering they endure, the better for him.

    And for the last 8 years gooftards like Oberman were hoping for the same ****. It was a boon to them for Bush's policies to fail. They don't really care that the country is in dissarray, they only need to pretend to care in order to sell advertising and increase ratings.
    Like it or not, these people exist solely because they say the things that the disenfranchised want to hear.

    The more disenfrachised the people in their target demographic are, the better they do.”
    Sorry my comments interrupted your speculation, I did call it that and I do note it is that. I stand behind my comment.

    * You may now return to complaining that I am defending Limbaugh. When in fact nothing here needs defense, from me or anyone else. Good try, no cigar though.


    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I love how everyone who disagrees with you is quickly labeled by you to be dumb and/or have thoughtless or dumb ideas. If all you are going to do is demean those who's opinions differ from your OP....why even start the thread?
    Pay closer attention next time, I said trying to label people who don't agee with you or who listen to talk radio as "brainwashed" etc, etc is dumb. In fact it is real dumb. And of course the rest of your argument is specious, go figure.
    Last edited by Sir Loin; 01-28-09 at 06:51 PM.

  9. #119
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Democrats Launch Petition Against Rush Limbaugh

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
    Sorry my comments interrupted your speculation, I did call it that and I do note it is that. I stand behind my comment.
    Stand behind it all you want, it won't change the fact that you are obviously ignorant of what "disenfranchised" actually means.

    To compare it to "stupid" or "uneducated" is clear evidence of that ignorance.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #120
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    07-11-11 @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,249

    Re: Democrats Launch Petition Against Rush Limbaugh

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Stand behind it all you want, it won't change the fact that you are obviously ignorant of what "disenfranchised" actually means.

    To compare it to "stupid" or "uneducated" is clear evidence of that ignorance.
    If that is all you have left, sure I don't know what disenfranchised means anymore than I knew you were just speculating. Unless you have found some demographic data that supports your speculation. Oh yeah, you really got me there. And you say there is nothing stupid going on here.
    Last edited by Sir Loin; 01-28-09 at 06:55 PM.

Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •