Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 194

Thread: Karl Rove Subpoenaed By John Conyers: 'Time To Talk'

  1. #71
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,452
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Karl Rove Subpoenaed By John Conyers: 'Time To Talk'

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    All of the attorneys you just mentioned were dismissed for political reasons. That's part and parcel of being a political appointee. It's quite amusing that you only care about the ones Bush fired, though.

    Once again--and let me make it clear--is the following. The initial dismissals of US attorneys when a new President comes in is normal. Carter did it. Reagan did it. HW Bush did it. Clinton did it. Dubya did it.

    It's NOT an issue, and not relevant to this discussion.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  2. #72
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,291

    Re: Karl Rove Subpoenaed By John Conyers: 'Time To Talk'

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    That day is coming soon.
    Not if Conyers is leading the charge.
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  3. #73
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,291

    Re: Karl Rove Subpoenaed By John Conyers: 'Time To Talk'

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Once again--and let me make it clear--is the following. The initial dismissals of US attorneys when a new President comes in is normal. Carter did it. Reagan did it. HW Bush did it. Clinton did it. Dubya did it.

    It's NOT an issue, and not relevant to this discussion.
    The dismissal of political appointees at any time during an administration is normal and completely legal.
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  4. #74
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,452
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Karl Rove Subpoenaed By John Conyers: 'Time To Talk'

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    Weren't you the one just having a conniption over the topic straying? What does this have to do with President Bush legally firing some US attorneys?

    It's all connected from what I understand.

    According to witness testimonial, Rove made sure that:
    a) There was a willing prosecutor (who happened to be the wife of the campaign manager of Seigleman's opponent)
    b) A judge willing to see the case (it was turned down twice before, if I remember correctly).
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  5. #75
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,452
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Karl Rove Subpoenaed By John Conyers: 'Time To Talk'

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    The dismissal of political appointees at any time during an administration is normal and completely legal.
    1st term, yes. 2nd term, no.

    It's happened a few times in other administrations, but none for reasons that are potentially of a political nature (i.e. not willing to witch hunt Democrats, being lenient on Republicans).
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  6. #76
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: Karl Rove Subpoenaed By John Conyers: 'Time To Talk'

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    Like, no.
    You're right, it's not illegal to fire them for political reasons. I was mistaken about that, thanks for correcting me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    Don't you think there should be something to investigate before the investigation is started? It would suck if the cops started investigating you for child rape, wouldn't it?
    Absolutely! If I believed there was nothing here to investigate, I'd be right on board with you. I would agree that this is a witch hunt, political grandstanding, and a waste of taxpayer money. But, and I posted this already, here are the reasons why I think there is something here to investigate:

    1. Some of the attorneys strongly believe that they were fired only because they refused to dig up criminal dirt on Democrats where none existed.
    2. Some of the attorneys strongly believe that they were fired only because they refused to call off criminal investigations on Republicans.
    3. The administration gave conflicting reasons why they were fired.

    Number 2 in particular could be obstruction of justice.

    Sure they might be disgruntled. They might also be working on book deals. Or, heaven forbid, they might actually be 100% correct. But the simple fact they got fired in no way invalidates any of their claims. If we threw out every case of wrongful termination simply because the person might just be disgruntled, well, that would be pretty stupid wouldn't it?

    Serving at the pleasure of the president is not a blank check to obstruct justice and use the Justice Department as a political weapon. Again, they should be innocent until proven guilty, but surely you can see that there is reasonable grounds for an investigation?
    Last edited by Binary_Digit; 01-29-09 at 09:37 PM.

  7. #77
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Karl Rove Subpoenaed By John Conyers: 'Time To Talk'

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    Then why was Rove subpoena'd?
    Because Conyers is a partisan douchebag?

    Quote Originally Posted by WillRockwell View Post
    I think the correct answer is that Rove was using the president's prerogative to choose US attorneys to build a nationwide network designed to further the Bush political agenda by controlling the legal system in all 50 states through attorneys hand picked by Rove. Whatever your political viewpoint, this was a blatant attempt to subvert American democracy, and Rove needs to answer for it.
    You do realize that even in your world where all of this is true, none of it is in any way illegal, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by WillRockwell View Post
    You are correct that the president can dismiss attorneys. The issue is that Karl Rove was the one choosing who to dismiss and who to hire to replace them, with Bush rubber stamping his choices. The possibly "sinister" part is this: why would Karl Rove be deciding on the choices for US attorneys?
    The president can hire or fire any attorney he wants.

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    A Democrat governor sat in jail for over seven months for being "convicted" of something that politicians do every day, yet nobody blinks. According to witnesses, he was framed. From what I understand, Rove's fingerprints are all over this one. He seriously needs to answer to this.
    Do you really want to go through this all again? We argued about this for 200 posts before and you had less than no evidence. He was convicted by a jury of his peers for committing a crime. The fact that you claim that other people haven't been convicted doesn't change anything.

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    1st term, yes. 2nd term, no.

    It's happened a few times in other administrations, but none for reasons that are potentially of a political nature (i.e. not willing to witch hunt Democrats, being lenient on Republicans).
    Again, I pointed out to you in another thread that this was incorrect. Carter did the same thing as Bush did, except in that case it was to fire a US attorney who was trying to investigate a Dem Congressman who was actually corrupt. Even then, there was absolutely no investigation of the DoJ because apparently back then people understood the concept of "The Pleasure of the President."
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  8. #78
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Karl Rove Subpoenaed By John Conyers: 'Time To Talk'

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Because Conyers is a partisan douchebag?
    Come on, NYU. If this is such a partisan issue, please tell me why the Justice Department's IG's office recommended further investigation into what happened at the Justice Department in hiring and firing employees and why Mukasey then appointed a special prosector? Are they partisan douchebags as well?

  9. #79
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,271

    Re: Karl Rove Subpoenaed By John Conyers: 'Time To Talk'

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    It'll NEVER happen. Get it through your ****ing skulls. Seriously.
    With skulls of solid bone, it'll never go through. Give up.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #80
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,271

    Re: Karl Rove Subpoenaed By John Conyers: 'Time To Talk'

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Because Conyers is a partisan douchebag?



    You do realize that even in your world where all of this is true, none of it is in any way illegal, right?



    The president can hire or fire any attorney he wants.



    Do you really want to go through this all again? We argued about this for 200 posts before and you had less than no evidence. He was convicted by a jury of his peers for committing a crime. The fact that you claim that other people haven't been convicted doesn't change anything.



    Again, I pointed out to you in another thread that this was incorrect. Carter did the same thing as Bush did, except in that case it was to fire a US attorney who was trying to investigate a Dem Congressman who was actually corrupt. Even then, there was absolutely no investigation of the DoJ because apparently back then people understood the concept of "The Pleasure of the President."
    Are you saying the Conyers is getting uppity?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •