Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 159

Thread: Obama To Alter Abortion Policy

  1. #21
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Obama To Alter Abortion Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by JMak View Post
    BTW - we're talking about a collection of inert cells, but an embryo. You're diminishing the value of an embryo simply so you can label it as a collection of cells with no intrinsic value other than cells related to the human species. Emrbyoes are much greater than that. We're not talking about scraping adult stem cells from the inside of an individual's nose to use to treat major spine injuries (btw, this is an actual treatment derived from adult stem cells). That you dimiss it demonstrates that your argument is nothing other than an emotional appeal.
    I'd say that diminishing the supposed value of an embryo is taking emotion out of it rather than putting it into the situation. Could you please elaborate to me just why embryonic stem cells are somehow "greater than that"? It's still a cell. The fact that you try to build it up as something more important without being able to back it up makes it an emotional argument for you.

  2. #22
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Obama To Alter Abortion Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    I'd say that diminishing the supposed value of an embryo is taking emotion out of it rather than putting it into the situation. Could you please elaborate to me just why embryonic stem cells are somehow "greater than that"? It's still a cell. The fact that you try to build it up as something more important without being able to back it up makes it an emotional argument for you.
    Of course it is emotional we are talking about ethics and humanity not geology. It will be a sad day when these kinds of problems are not greeted with emotion.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-06-09 @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Obama To Alter Abortion Policy

    Embryonic stem cell research is unnecessary and a waste of money. There's your "non-religious argument" against it. We can't afford to waste money.

  4. #24
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Obama To Alter Abortion Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    Embryonic stem cell research is unnecessary and a waste of money. .
    Why??????????

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-06-09 @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Obama To Alter Abortion Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Why??????????
    Induced pluripotent stem cell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  6. #26
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Obama To Alter Abortion Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Of course it is emotional we are talking about ethics and humanity not geology. It will be a sad day when these kinds of problems are not greeted with emotion.
    We should take emotions into consideration, but shouldn't let them get in the way of scientific progression.

  7. #27
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Obama To Alter Abortion Policy

    Okay that was pretty good and I see a use for that. But I disagree they can replace embryonic stem research.

    I know you are going to ask why but I'm about to walk out of the house.

  8. #28
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Obama To Alter Abortion Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    We should take emotions into consideration, but shouldn't let them get in the way of scientific progression.
    Why? Is Science not meant to benefit humanity? Morality should govern science otherwise humanity will be lost in this "progression".
    Last edited by Wessexman; 01-21-09 at 04:51 PM.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-06-09 @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Obama To Alter Abortion Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Okay that was pretty good and I see a use for that. But I disagree they can replace embryonic stem research.

    I know you are going to ask why but I'm about to walk out of the house.
    You asked me "Why????" You are right--I ask "Why not???"
    Last edited by Felicity; 01-21-09 at 04:53 PM.

  10. #30
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Obama To Alter Abortion Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    Embryonic stem cell research is unnecessary and a waste of money. There's your "non-religious argument" against it. We can't afford to waste money.
    That's for the scientists to decide.

    The removal of the ban does not mean more money is spent (as you falsely assert), it just means money can be allocated for ESCR.

    If appropriators determine ESCR is not worth the money then they won't allocate money toward it. No one is forcing money into ESCR. Obama is simply allowing money to be spent on ESCR if appropriators wish to.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •