Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 159

Thread: Obama To Alter Abortion Policy

  1. #111
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    02-13-09 @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,942

    Re: Obama To Alter Abortion Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    So why ban it then? If the merits of the research fail then why would people spend money on it? <Sarcasm>Oh yea, its all a conspiracy to kill babies and steal money! </sarcasm> So what is your thinking on why its so important to ban research funding for it, moral issues aside?
    I don't think it should be banned. Wanna address my actual arguments?

    For the umpteenth time in this thread...I do think our fed tax dollars shouldn't be subsidizing ESCR research given the legitimate and real ethical and moral problems associated with it and given that there is substantial state-level ESCR funding as well as public and private partnership financing out there as well as substantial private dollars funding ESCR and given that there are finite fed resources that would be better directed at research that has actually resulted in nearly a hundred medical treatments (that would be adult stem cells) and given that alternatives to destroying embryoes to harvest embryonic stem cells exist.

    It's not like I have not provided these reasons before...

    Yea? And? Is an acorn an oak tree? Is a sperm and an egg a human? Are the molecules that will make up a sperm and an egg a human? You've setup an infinite regress yet for no logical reason you choose conception as a special point in the infinite regress. Why is that? Why is conception more important than a egg or sperm or the molecules that will make eggs and sperm and so on into infinity?[/quote]

    I chose conception as what? Please address actual arguments.

    great. Others do not agree based on equal if not greater reasoning.
    Yeah, opinions are like a-holes, we all have one.

    Only if one chooses to ignore the fact that attempting to cure disease is a a virtuous endeavor in and of itself.
    Yeah, so lets start medical experimentation on death row inmates and defective children...

    I don't disagree that conducting research to cure disease is a virtuous endeavor. The fact is, though, that you're ignoring that this virtuosity (a word?) doesn't justify any and all medical research. That much you have to acknowledge, no?

    True, IFF one is to believe your view on abortion. I've yet to see why such a view is compelling.
    I wasn't talking about abortion.

  2. #112
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Obama To Alter Abortion Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    Oh, bull****. Right after 9/11 people threw their support behind Bush.
    Most people. Not all. Do you deny that there were those that openly claimed that Bush knew about/caused/allowed 9-11?

    Well, considering the fact that he's the President and that the hopes of our country improving kind of rests on his shoulders I disagree with your assertion.
    You disagree becauyse you like his policies, and do not believe that they will cause more long-0term harm than the current receesion. That's fine, but dont pretend that hoping that he isnt successful in implementing his policies because you DO believe that his policies will cause more harm isn't legitimate.

  3. #113
    Old Soul

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ND
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 11:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,915

    Re: Obama To Alter Abortion Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    Fail is our only hope?
    Yeah, that makes sense.

    Anything for partisan politics, right?
    actually his warnings in the past couple of months have given me significant hope that he doesn't actually mean to do much of anything. everything is suddenly going to take a long time and things are going to get worse before they get better...that I can deal with.

  4. #114
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Obama To Alter Abortion Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Most people. Not all. Do you deny that there were those that openly claimed that Bush knew about/caused/allowed 9-11?
    No, I don't deny that. However, right after 9/11 I don't remember people saying that. I didn't hear a thing about that until quite a bit later. Even so, what difference does it make? There are always going to be a minority of extremist idiots who have some whacked out theory.

    You disagree becauyse you like his policies, and do not believe that they will cause more long-0term harm than the current receesion. That's fine, but dont pretend that hoping that he isnt successful in implementing his policies because you DO believe that his policies will cause more harm isn't legitimate.
    I don't necessarily like his policies, but I will say that things will hopefully be better than they were for the last 8 years. That isn't to say that I couldn't be proven wrong. Who knows? It's hard to trust any politician, regardless of how promising he/she seems.

  5. #115
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Obama To Alter Abortion Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    No, I don't deny that. However, right after 9/11 I don't remember people saying that. I didn't hear a thing about that until quite a bit later. Even so, what difference does it make? There are always going to be a minority of extremist idiots who have some whacked out theory.
    So... you agree that the people that blamed Bush for 9-11 were wrong for doing so, given the crisis at hand.


    I don't necessarily like his policies, but I will say that things will hopefully be better than they were for the last 8 years. That isn't to say that I couldn't be proven wrong. Who knows? It's hard to trust any politician, regardless of how promising he/she seems.
    You missed my point.
    If you believe that his policies will be worse for the contry that the recession, then there's noting wrong with hoping that he fails.

  6. #116
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Obama To Alter Abortion Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    So... you agree that the people that blamed Bush for 9-11 were wrong for doing so, given the crisis at hand.
    Of course. I still think that people that blame Bush for 9/11 are idiotic.

    You missed my point.
    If you believe that his policies will be worse for the contry that the recession, then there's noting wrong with hoping that he fails.
    Well, I guess I'm a glass is half full kind of guy then.

  7. #117
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    02-13-09 @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,942

    Re: Obama To Alter Abortion Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    My God, what cherrypicking!! Embryonic stem cells ARE stem cells. I said restrictions on stem cells. You say I said something different because embryonic stem cells are NOT stem cells. In essence, you are attempting to use some preztel logic to claim I said something I didn't say.
    No, you see, what you are ignoring is my earlier comment yesterday that the reason I chided you was because there has been and remains an effort in the media and among politicians to distort the Bush policy regarding restricting fed funding for ESCR by generalizing that specific restriction into a ban on stem cell research.

    Embryonic stem cells ARE a subset of stem cells, so my argument holds. Bush restricted Federal dollars to stem cell research. Duhhhhhh!!
    Only one specific type of stem cell research. What don't you get about that?

    Damn, I have seen some weird pretzel logic arguments in my years at DP, but you have just taken the cake.
    I cannot reason out of you what was not even reasoned in.

  8. #118
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    02-13-09 @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,942

    Re: Obama To Alter Abortion Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    Well, considering the shape our country is in, I don't think we can afford fail.
    That, of course, must presume that only Obama's proposals can effectively address the economic problem(s).

    And, of course, that presumption is wrong.

  9. #119
    Old Soul

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ND
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 11:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,915

    Re: Obama To Alter Abortion Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    Of course. I still think that people that blame Bush for 9/11 are idiotic.

    Well, I guess I'm a glass is half full kind of guy then.
    I don't think it is a matter of optimism v. pessimism. I think it has more to do with knowledge of poli sci and history, and I guess priorities.

  10. #120
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Obama To Alter Abortion Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by JMak View Post
    That, of course, must presume that only Obama's proposals can effectively address the economic problem(s).

    And, of course, that presumption is wrong.
    Well, call me crazy, but I'm holding him to his campaign promises.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •