Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 99

Thread: Militants fire rockets into Israel after cease-fire

  1. #21
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Militants fire rockets into Israel after cease-fire

    Well of course a nation has the right to defend itself but Israel took it way too far, it was bad enough with the air campaign but then invading the most heavily populated area knowing that high civilian casulties was inevitable?
    It seemed pretty stupid to drop leaflets, i mean honestley. Where are you supposed to run to? Gaza was locked in and Soldiers was in almost every direction

  2. #22
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,291

    Re: Militants fire rockets into Israel after cease-fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Well of course a nation has the right to defend itself but Israel took it way too far, it was bad enough with the air campaign but then invading the most heavily populated area knowing that high civilian casulties was inevitable?
    It seemed pretty stupid to drop leaflets, i mean honestley. Where are you supposed to run to? Gaza was locked in and Soldiers was in almost every direction
    Okay, so how far is too far? How would you feel if the situation was reversed?
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  3. #23
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Militants fire rockets into Israel after cease-fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    Okay, so how far is too far? How would you feel if the situation was reversed?
    I know people keep banging on about proportionality but that is what worried me. It seems to me Israel went ape**** and started collective punishment.

    If it was me being rained down with rockets? I don't know but i hope i would stick with my view that the answer to this conflict will not come out of military power.

  4. #24
    wʜɪтe яussɪaи Tashah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    ישראל אמריקה
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 04:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,379

    Re: Militants fire rockets into Israel after cease-fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    If UK started bombarding Ireland and killed 1,000 irish people. I highly doubt people would be singing our praise and same for any other country in the world. Israel is no different
    Here is something that most Westerners do not quite grasp. War in the ME is not equitable to what those in the West understand as war. Never has been. No quarter is asked and none is given. Over 1,000,000 deaths and casualties in the Iraq/Iran war. 20,000 civilians killed in a Syrian city attacked by the Syrian military. The religious inspired civil wars wars in Lebanon. What Iraqi forces did in Kuwait City, the extremely bloody pre-partition violence between Arabs and Jews in the British Mandate of Palestine, etc. etc.

    I tend to think this mindset stems from the ancient scripture of both Muslims and Jews. In both the Torah and Qu'ran, there is endemnic violence on an unprecidented scale. This mindset persists to this day in a region that is soaked in religion and bad memories.

    I'm not excusing this, I'm just telling it like it is. It is folly to expect ME wars to mirror wars waged in the West. Perhaps and hopefully, this will change someday.

    אשכנזי היהודי Белый Россию

  5. #25
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,291

    Re: Militants fire rockets into Israel after cease-fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    I know people keep banging on about proportionality but that is what worried me. It seems to me Israel went ape**** and started collective punishment.

    If it was me being rained down with rockets? I don't know but i hope i would stick with my view that the answer to this conflict will not come out of military power.
    Thanks for the reply.

    My view is that no one has ever won a war by meeting force with a proportionally equivalent force. You win by using more force than your enemy brings.

    The full answer may not come from military force, but it will hopefully send the message that Israel will use overwhelming force to protect itself, and maybe that will be enough for cooler and smarter heads to prevail. On both sides.
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  6. #26
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Militants fire rockets into Israel after cease-fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Well of course a nation has the right to defend itself but Israel took it way too far, it was bad enough with the air campaign but then invading the most heavily populated area knowing that high civilian casulties was inevitable?
    It seemed pretty stupid to drop leaflets, i mean honestley. Where are you supposed to run to? Gaza was locked in and Soldiers was in almost every direction


    so should they instead get the same rockets and fire back indescriminantly and maybe use snipers at palestinian schools....


    less would die, but it would be more "proportional", no?....
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #27
    Professor
    shiznit770's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    07-08-10 @ 07:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,393

    Re: Militants fire rockets into Israel after cease-fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Tashah View Post
    Here is something that most Westerners do not quite grasp. War in the ME is not equitable to what those in the West understand as war. Never has been. No quarter is asked and none is given. Over 1,000,000 deaths and casualties in the Iraq/Iran war. 20,000 civilians killed in a Syrian city attacked by the Syrian military. The religious inspired civil wars wars in Lebanon. What Iraqi forces did in Kuwait City, the extremely bloody pre-partition violence between Arabs and Jews in the British Mandate of Palestine, etc. etc.

    I tend to think this mindset stems from the ancient scripture of both Muslims and Jews. In both the Torah and Qu'ran, there is endemnic violence on an unprecidented scale. This mindset persists to this day in a region that is soaked in religion and bad memories.

    I'm not excusing this, I'm just telling it like it is. It is folly to expect ME wars to mirror wars waged in the West. Perhaps and hopefully, this will change someday.
    Is this your precursor to justifying the devastation the media will find in Gaza?

  8. #28
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Militants fire rockets into Israel after cease-fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    . You win by using more force than your enemy brings.
    That is my main issue.
    Israel has TRIED the method of just dropping bombs but it does not work. It has a dangerous counter effect of increasing hatred and recruits to the extremists.

  9. #29
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,291

    Re: Militants fire rockets into Israel after cease-fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    That is my main issue.
    Israel has TRIED the method of just dropping bombs but it does not work. It has a dangerous counter effect of increasing hatred and recruits to the extremists.
    From my view several thousand miles away, it doesn't seem to take much to increase hatred towards Israel. I think in the short term it may increase recruits, but I would guess those new recruits were more predisposed toward that position anyway. I think that kind of response is to be expeced when one's nation or way of life is being attacked. How many men joined the military right after Pearl Harbor? Did the trend continue throughout the war? I don't know the answer but I would guess it would be no.
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  10. #30
    wʜɪтe яussɪaи Tashah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    ישראל אמריקה
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 04:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,379

    Re: Militants fire rockets into Israel after cease-fire

    Quote Originally Posted by shiznit770 View Post
    Is this your precursor to justifying the devastation the media will find in Gaza?
    Always attack. Right Shiznit? Never willing to listen or learn from someone who actually lives in the region and has experienced war firsthand.

    I daresay, you grow intellectually smaller with each passing day.

    אשכנזי היהודי Белый Россию

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •