Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 388

Thread: Obama to End Military's 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy

  1. #271
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Obama to End Military's 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    How would you put them "in the closet"?
    You wouldn't in general. They didn't serve.

    I forgot what my original point was although I think it was something to do with caution and moving gradually.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  2. #272
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,191

    Re: Obama to End Military's 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    You wouldn't in general. They didn't serve.

    I forgot what my original point was although I think it was something to do with caution and moving gradually.
    Like only one person per day can come out of the closet?
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  3. #273
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Obama to End Military's 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Like only one person per day can come out of the closet?
    No like we realise that it is probably okay for gays to serve in the military but don't give into PC idiocy to change everything in a day and just do it with caution as most things in politics should be done.

    This approach may infuriate the liberal rationalist who gets his knowledge of politics from simplistic formulas and has no concept of the complexity of society and institutions but it is the sensible way to approach politics.

    The individual or group of individual or even a generation can't hope to understand all the interconnectedness and latent functions of institutions and should therefore remember any change may have unintended consequences which suggests that caution, piecemeal change and continuity should be stressed.
    Last edited by Wessexman; 01-15-09 at 08:19 PM.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  4. #274
    Steve
    tryreading's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Last Seen
    02-26-13 @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,809

    Re: Obama to End Military's 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    FOXNews.com - Obama to End Military's 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

    If true, it's about ****ing time. It will be interesting to see whether Congress agrees though.
    Good. 'Don't ask, don't tell,' or something like it, was a necessary step in the right direction. Its time to make the next move.

  5. #275
    Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
    SgtRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,006

    Re: Obama to End Military's 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Gay and straight men/women are already showering together in the military.
    Men and women do not shower together in the military. Because of don't ask don't tell straight service members do not know who they are. When I served I am sure there were gays that served with me. And we probably showered at the same time. During my six years in the army I never knew a single male soldier that was gay at least as far as I knew. My point is that men and women shower seperatly for a reason. If gays are going to serve openly then they are going to have to accomidate everyone. Gays will have to have seperate showers from straight soldiers just as women shower seperatly from male soldiers. You wouldn't expect women to shower with men because they are attraced to each other physically. Gay men are attracted to other men so you wouldn't expect straight men to knowingly shower with gay men.
    When America is strong the world is calm, When America is weak tyrants and terrorist slaughter the meek. ~ SgtRock

  6. #276
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Obama to End Military's 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy

    I simply do not understand the necessity of this. Why do gays feel like they need to be "out" while they're serving in the military? We all make sacrifices when we enlist, why are gays so reticent to do the same? When I was in the service I kept my political opinion about our Commander In Chief a secret. Sure, every now and again I would confide in people of my respective rank, but I certainly didn't feel the entire damned military needed to personally accommodate me and my politics. The same thing should go for homosexuality. Confide in those with whom you feel comfortable but do not act like everyone else must accommodate your lifestyle. It's called making a sacrifice on behalf of your country and your unit. My solution? Get a straw and suck it up.

  7. #277
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,191

    Re: Obama to End Military's 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    No like we realise that it is probably okay for gays to serve in the military but don't give into PC idiocy to change everything in a day and just do it with caution as most things in politics should be done.
    So one a day then?

    How much more gradual could it go? It's been 15 years with this stupid policy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    This approach may infuriate the liberal rationalist who gets his knowledge of politics from simplistic formulas and has no concept of the complexity of society and institutions but it is the sensible way to approach politics.
    You got in your partisan shots. Nice. It doesn't help your argument but I'm sure your cat is impressed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    The individual or group of individual or even a generation can't hope to understand all the interconnectedness and latent functions of institutions and should therefore remember any change may have unintended consequences which suggests that caution, piecemeal change and continuity should be stressed.
    What unintended consequences?

    Are the queers going to ruin our soil?
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  8. #278
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,191

    Re: Obama to End Military's 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by SgtRock View Post
    Men and women do not shower together in the military. Because of don't ask don't tell straight service members do not know who they are. When I served I am sure there were gays that served with me. And we probably showered at the same time. During my six years in the army I never knew a single male soldier that was gay at least as far as I knew. My point is that men and women shower seperatly for a reason. If gays are going to serve openly then they are going to have to accomidate everyone. Gays will have to have seperate showers from straight soldiers just as women shower seperatly from male soldiers. You wouldn't expect women to shower with men because they are attraced to each other physically. Gay men are attracted to other men so you wouldn't expect straight men to knowingly shower with gay men.
    Do you know the difference between a shower and loud, grunting, sweaty beefcake on beefcake action?
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  9. #279
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,191

    Re: Obama to End Military's 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I simply do not understand the necessity of this. Why do gays feel like they need to be "out" while they're serving in the military? We all make sacrifices when we enlist, why are gays so reticent to do the same? When I was in the service I kept my political opinion about our Commander In Chief a secret. Sure, every now and again I would confide in people of my respective rank, but I certainly didn't feel the entire damned military needed to personally accommodate me and my politics. The same thing should go for homosexuality. Confide in those with whom you feel comfortable but do not act like everyone else must accommodate your lifestyle. It's called making a sacrifice on behalf of your country and your unit. My solution? Get a straw and suck it up.
    Why do you expect them to sacrifice more than you? You don't have to hide your sexual preference. Sexual preference is different than talking bad about your boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  10. #280
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Obama to End Military's 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy

    Why do you expect them to sacrifice more than you?
    Because their needs are more potentially complicating and divisive than mine. Also, the military makes no garuntees of "equal" sacrifice. Some people have to sacrifice more than others as a consequence of their respective circumstances. Sh*t happens, so deal with it. This isn't the f*cking boyscouts. We got people to kill and lives to save, so lace up your boots, put on your boony cover, and fall the f*ck in. It's harsh but that's the way it's gotta be.
    Last edited by Ethereal; 01-15-09 at 09:44 PM.

Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •