Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 142

Thread: 44 to reverse 43's executive orders

  1. #131
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Beautiful Yadkin Valley
    Last Seen
    09-26-10 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,219

    Re: 44 to reverse 43's executive orders

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    no, our taxes are in fact lower when married, sorry.

    That you think an insurer thinks we are more stable together married, does not negate the fact that we are stable regardless of marriage. You have not made your point that a marriage is what makes a person stable.
    Then what's this marriage penalty that they're always yappin' about?

    You may be a stable as a rock either way, but the actuary says otherwise for society in general. Which again, is exactly my point.

  2. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Beautiful Yadkin Valley
    Last Seen
    09-26-10 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,219

    Re: 44 to reverse 43's executive orders

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    Or..ya know..you could answer my question.
    Since it was based on a logical fallacy I shan't bother.

  3. #133
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,419

    Re: 44 to reverse 43's executive orders

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    You have not made your point that a marriage is what makes a person stable.


    I would say most of all, maturity makes a person stable. Once you grow up, you become stable- whether or not you are married. For instance a 18 year old is not going to become stable simply because they are married, it takes time to get the kind of wisdom to stabilize yourself. Marriage does not settle you down or make your life more stable. You do on your own.
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Beautiful Yadkin Valley
    Last Seen
    09-26-10 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,219

    Re: 44 to reverse 43's executive orders

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I can see the stabilty argument, I just don't see how the genders of the participants plays a role in that.

    Is there any evidence to suggest that a gay couple that choses to enter into a marriage contract would not be as stable as the straight couple who does the same?
    I suspect the stability argument would work for gays as well, but that would take the discussion down an entirely different road. A dirt road perhaps?

  5. #135
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: 44 to reverse 43's executive orders

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    Since it was based on a logical fallacy I shan't bother.
    How is it based on a logical fallacy? You said that marriage leads to a stable society. I asked you how. If you can't answer that then I shan't be continuing the discussion with you as it is pointless to do so with someone who can't back up their assertions.

  6. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: 44 to reverse 43's executive orders

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    Then what's this marriage penalty that they're always yappin' about?
    Penalty? What penalty did I talk about, I said we get bonuses for being married. Lower taxes, I am on her insurance policy from her work, etc.


    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    You may be a stable as a rock either way, but the actuary says otherwise for society in general. Which again, is exactly my point.
    No, you are making generalizations without knowing people and their relationships. Just because your relationship may be and "Al and Peggy Bundy marriage", doesn't mean everyone else is.

    I just spoke up when you said marriage is what makes a man and woman stable. That is false, it is the relationship that does it and you can't get past that truth.

  7. #137
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Beautiful Yadkin Valley
    Last Seen
    09-26-10 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,219

    Re: 44 to reverse 43's executive orders

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    How is it based on a logical fallacy? You said that marriage leads to a stable society. I asked you how. If you can't answer that then I shan't be continuing the discussion with you as it is pointless to do so with someone who can't back up their assertions.
    Perhaps you should look up the definition of "Dicto simpliciter" in reference to how I used it.

    No reason to get testy, by the way.

  8. #138
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Beautiful Yadkin Valley
    Last Seen
    09-26-10 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,219

    Re: 44 to reverse 43's executive orders

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    ....

    I just spoke up when you said marriage is what makes a man and woman stable. ....
    Perhaps you can show me where I said that?

  9. #139
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: 44 to reverse 43's executive orders

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    Perhaps you should look up the definition of "Dicto simpliciter" in reference to how I used it.

    No reason to get testy, by the way.
    I know what Dicto Simpliciter means.

    And I wasn't getting testy.

  10. #140
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: 44 to reverse 43's executive orders

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    It was a joke, Tuck. That expression is typically used to describe what men do to women, at least in my old-fashioned view of reality.

    'So she finally made an honest man out of ya.'
    Sorry.

    Apparently, I had my Tucker-tard switch set for "on" with that one. I must have snagged it on the chain attached to my nose ring.


    P.S. Nice one on the "dirt road" joke.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •