Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 132

Thread: Ohio teen convicted of killing mom over video game

  1. #91
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,436

    Re: Ohio teen convicted of killing mom over video game

    Quote Originally Posted by emdash View Post
    seventeen is plenty old enough to see something violent on TV without mimicking it in your daily life.


    I think there is a difference between watching something and interactivly playing a game. I am not anti gaming at all, I am more for parents monitoring games and their children more, you know like being actual parents. If you know your kid has problems and can be highly influenced by outside sources, wouldn't it just make sense to be aware of what he is playing and doing?
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  2. #92
    Old Soul

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ND
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 11:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,915

    Re: Ohio teen convicted of killing mom over video game

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    I think there is a difference between watching something and interactivly playing a game. I am not anti gaming at all, I am more for parents monitoring games and their children more, you know like being actual parents. If you know your kid has problems and can be highly influenced by outside sources, wouldn't it just make sense to be aware of what he is playing and doing?
    of course. however I don't think this kid's problem had much to do with the specific game and its level of violence. if his parents had taken away his zoo tycoon he might have done the same thing.

    my only beef really is that this reminds me too much of people blaming school shootings on guns, when clearly guns are not the issue.

  3. #93
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Ohio teen convicted of killing mom over video game

    I murdered my parents

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  4. #94
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Ohio teen convicted of killing mom over video game

    Quote Originally Posted by bhkad View Post
    Ohio teen convicted of killing mom over video game



    Ohio teen convicted of killing mom over video game - Yahoo! News

    The impact of video games on random violence in this country needs to be studied.

    Resume your denials here.
    So your argument is what? That every kid who plays violent video games and has them taken away by parents will resort to shooting said parents?
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  5. #95
    Sage
    bhkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    08-13-10 @ 01:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: Ohio teen convicted of killing mom over video game

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    So your argument is what? That every kid who plays violent video games and has them taken away by parents will resort to shooting said parents?
    Quote Originally Posted by bhkad
    The impact of video games on random violence in this country needs to be studied.
    Make that the long term impact.

    OBL 11/24/02

  6. #96
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,013

    Re: Ohio teen convicted of killing mom over video game

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    I think there is a difference between watching something and interactivly playing a game. I am not anti gaming at all, I am more for parents monitoring games and their children more, you know like being actual parents. If you know your kid has problems and can be highly influenced by outside sources, wouldn't it just make sense to be aware of what he is playing and doing?
    Absolutely. While the pro-gaming crowd don't think certain types, or just all, games should be outright banned generally they are strongly in favor of an informed, intelligent, active parent.

    Super Mario Brothers, with mario bouncing on the head of moving mushrooms, is something I may not mind my 7 year old playing. Resident Evil, a horror genre game with Zombies and exploding bodies and blood, is something I'd not buy for them. Grand Theft Auto, complete with prostitutes and gang land beatings, would not be something ever to touch my preteens console.

    Parents should definitely know what their kids are playing. Its why you don't find many gaming advocates saying that the rating system absolutely needs to go and kids should be able to buy any game they want. The issue is more with places, like England recently, just outright banning a game from being sold.

  7. #97
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Ohio teen convicted of killing mom over video game

    Quote Originally Posted by bhkad View Post
    Make that the long term impact.
    What long term impact are you expecting research to find?

    Again, as has been stated before, most people are normal. Some are not. More often than not, teens who have their videogames taken away are do not end up shooting someone over it. Do you see where I am going with this?
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  8. #98
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Ohio teen convicted of killing mom over video game

    video games make me want to kill all humans.


    wait...no, that was Bender.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #99
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Ohio teen convicted of killing mom over video game

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Parents should definitely know what their kids are playing. Its why you don't find many gaming advocates saying that the rating system absolutely needs to go and kids should be able to buy any game they want. The issue is more with places, like England recently, just outright banning a game from being sold.
    I think that will start happening more and more with the younger generations. A lot of the people who have kids now grew up with console games and many still play them. Obviously when we were kids games weren't quite as racy. However, if they were I'm sure that at least my parents would have been pretty ignorant about it because they weren't remotely interested in video games and basically classified them as something strictly for the youth. That is changing quite a bit with time and I see it as a positive thing because the games now are racy and parents will be more aware of what their kids are playing.

  10. #100
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,900

    Re: Ohio teen convicted of killing mom over video game

    I read about this a while ago; it wasn't about them taking away Halo. There was more to it.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •