Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40

Thread: Israel poll ban for Arab parties

  1. #21
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Israel poll ban for Arab parties

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    Why is that?
    Why is what? Why will the courts make the decision or why should we accept it.

    If it is the later, it is because it is Israeli law and frankly, considering their situation, a legitimate one.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  2. #22
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Israel poll ban for Arab parties

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Just another example of the true face of certain politicians in Israel and the ugly face of Zionism. This ruling will be overturned by the high court, and if not, then Israel should be removed from the list of democratic states and join the same list as its Arab neighbours.

    This would be like the Republican's having the Democratic party banned from the elections because the Democratic party is against the Iraq war.....

    These parties have never said they were against Israel, and have in fact said they are Israelis.... and yet that was the basis of the banning... pathetic and openly racist apartheid Zionist policy.. Israel should be ashamed.
    Your analogy is silly. If Israel has a law on the books that the party must recognize Israel's right to exist and they don't, they should be banned from the ballot. Your little strawman is completely irrelevant to the Israeli situation.

    Thanks for playing though.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  3. #23
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,900

    Re: Israel poll ban for Arab parties

    This would be like the Republican's having the Democratic party banned from the elections because the Democratic party is against the Iraq war.....
    The democrats were never against the war.

    Why is what? Why will the courts make the decision or why should we accept it.
    My question was "why should we accept what the courts say?" You certainly don't uphold the rule of courts in all cases, so you can't argue that (Iranian courts, for example). So why should we accept the ruling?

    Your analogy is silly. If Israel has a law on the books that the party must recognize Israel's right to exist and they don't, they should be banned from the ballot. Your little strawman is completely irrelevant to the Israeli situation.
    There has been absolutely no evidence offered that they believe that. These party officials have also denied those claims, and considering the fact that this comes not only during the incursion into Gaza, which they opposed, but also in the run up to elections, it is pretty obvious that this is a sham perpetrated by the right wingers in the Knesset.

    EDIT: Here's some more information regarding this event:

    The Central Elections Committee voted 26-3 with one abstention to ban Balad from the elections and 21-3 with eight abstentions to disqualify UAL Ta'al.
    Source

    Three petitions to disqualify Balad from running were filed with the Elections Committee last week by the Ichud Leumi (National Union) and Israel Beitenu parties and Itay Furman, formerly of Shinui.
    Source

    The National Union and Israel Beitenu parties are far-right ultra-nationalists, which supports what I've said. Would you like to condemn this action, ludahai?

    EDIT #2: Further clarification from Jalad Zahalka, chairman of Balad:

    "Balad is a democratic and progressive party and we believe in the basic principle of equality for all people. We would never accept, politically or emotionally, claims that someone else is superior to us just because we're Arabs," Zahalka said. "All we demand is democracy! What are you afraid of when we ask for equality? We are the sons of this country, we were born here and we are willing to treat you with equality, so why don't you? We offer to live together. [Israel Beitenu chairman Avigdor] Lieberman offers to die together."

    "We say, any vote given to Kadima is a bullet in the chest of a Palestinian child in Gaza," Tibi told the committee prior to the vote. "Israel's problem is not Balad, not UAL, but the Kadima Party and [Defense Minister and Labor chairman Ehud] Barak. These people started a war as an election campaign. The State of Israel is democratic for Jews and Jewish for its Arab citizens. We never said that we don't recognize the State of Israel. We are part of it, but we will never accept Zionism, which is an ideology that aspires to banish us from our homes."
    ibid.
    Last edited by Khayembii Communique; 01-19-09 at 08:03 PM.

  4. #24
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Israel poll ban for Arab parties

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    The Central Elections Committee voted 26-3 with one abstention to ban Balad from the elections and 21-3 with eight abstentions to disqualify UAL Ta'al.
    Source

    Three petitions to disqualify Balad from running were filed with the Elections Committee last week by the Ichud Leumi (National Union) and Israel Beitenu parties and Itay Furman, formerly of Shinui.
    Source

    The National Union and Israel Beitenu parties are far-right ultra-nationalists, which supports what I've said. Would you like to condemn this action, ludahai?
    What is there to condemn. If there is a law in Israel that forbids parties from partiicpating that don't recognize its right to exist and that party in fact doesn't accept that right, it is entirely legal and proper for the Elections Commission to entertain a petition from any legal party and make a decision based on that petition, which is apparently what happened here.

    They have the right to appeal this decision. That is Israel's law. If you don't like it - TOUGH!
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  5. #25
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,900

    Re: Israel poll ban for Arab parties

    What is there to condemn. If there is a law in Israel that forbids parties from partiicpating that don't recognize its right to exist and that party in fact doesn't accept that right, it is entirely legal and proper for the Elections Commission to entertain a petition from any legal party and make a decision based on that petition, which is apparently what happened here.
    Both parties that were banned recognize Israel's right to exist. These right-wing parties have banned them from elections through the committee of which they are a majority, because the oppose the Gaza invasion. Are you unable to understand that? Where is this difficult to understand for you?

  6. #26
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Israel poll ban for Arab parties

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    From The Jerusalem Post:



    Elections C'tee bans UAL, Balad lists | Israel | Jerusalem Post

    Israel has well-defined standards and its rule of law extends broad political protections to its citizens. Given Briskman's explanation that there is insufficient evidence to support disqualifying the Balad or UAL parties to meet the High Court's standard, I believe the Election Committee's ban will be reversed.
    How do you feel about that?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #27
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Israel poll ban for Arab parties

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    The democrats were never against the war.



    My question was "why should we accept what the courts say?" You certainly don't uphold the rule of courts in all cases, so you can't argue that (Iranian courts, for example). So why should we accept the ruling?



    There has been absolutely no evidence offered that they believe that. These party officials have also denied those claims, and considering the fact that this comes not only during the incursion into Gaza, which they opposed, but also in the run up to elections, it is pretty obvious that this is a sham perpetrated by the right wingers in the Knesset.

    EDIT: Here's some more information regarding this event:

    The Central Elections Committee voted 26-3 with one abstention to ban Balad from the elections and 21-3 with eight abstentions to disqualify UAL Ta'al.
    Source

    Three petitions to disqualify Balad from running were filed with the Elections Committee last week by the Ichud Leumi (National Union) and Israel Beitenu parties and Itay Furman, formerly of Shinui.
    Source

    The National Union and Israel Beitenu parties are far-right ultra-nationalists, which supports what I've said. Would you like to condemn this action, ludahai?

    EDIT #2: Further clarification from Jalad Zahalka, chairman of Balad:

    "Balad is a democratic and progressive party and we believe in the basic principle of equality for all people. We would never accept, politically or emotionally, claims that someone else is superior to us just because we're Arabs," Zahalka said. "All we demand is democracy! What are you afraid of when we ask for equality? We are the sons of this country, we were born here and we are willing to treat you with equality, so why don't you? We offer to live together. [Israel Beitenu chairman Avigdor] Lieberman offers to die together."

    "We say, any vote given to Kadima is a bullet in the chest of a Palestinian child in Gaza," Tibi told the committee prior to the vote. "Israel's problem is not Balad, not UAL, but the Kadima Party and [Defense Minister and Labor chairman Ehud] Barak. These people started a war as an election campaign. The State of Israel is democratic for Jews and Jewish for its Arab citizens. We never said that we don't recognize the State of Israel. We are part of it, but we will never accept Zionism, which is an ideology that aspires to banish us from our homes."
    ibid.
    Have they made a public statement that Israel has the right to exist?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,900

    Re: Israel poll ban for Arab parties

    Have they made a public statement that Israel has the right to exist?
    "We never said that we don't recognize the State of Israel. We are part of it"

    From Wikipedia:

    Balad is an Arab nationalist political party,[3][4] whose stated purpose is the 'struggle to transform the state of Israel into a democracy for all its citizens, irrespective of national or ethnic identity.'[5] Balad also demands that the state of Israel recognize Palestinian Arabs as a national minority, entitled to all rights that come with that status including autonomy in education, culture and media.[5]

    The party supports creation of two states based on pre-1967 borders, with the West Bank, Gaza Strip, and East Jerusalem to constitute a Palestinian state[6] and the implementation of UN Resolution 194 regarding the right of return to Palestinian refugees.

    Balad describes itself as a 'democratic progressive national party for the Palestinian citizens of Israel.'[5]
    Last edited by Khayembii Communique; 01-20-09 at 01:59 AM.

  9. #29
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,093

    Re: Israel poll ban for Arab parties

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Your analogy is silly. If Israel has a law on the books that the party must recognize Israel's right to exist and they don't, they should be banned from the ballot. Your little strawman is completely irrelevant to the Israeli situation.

    Thanks for playing though.
    Show us where they have stated (the parties, all of them) that Israel has no right to exist. The only ones that have said this are pro Israeli people on these boards, who have claimed this with no evidence what so ever. Talk about a anti-Muslim smear campaign lead by a bunch of radical right Zionist freaks in Israel.. the same freaks who sabotage any peace efforts time and time again via their surrogates.

    In fact if you read the articles provided, then you will see the totally opposite. They state that they are Israelis...
    PeteEU

  10. #30
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Israel poll ban for Arab parties

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    Both parties that were banned recognize Israel's right to exist. These right-wing parties have banned them from elections through the committee of which they are a majority, because the oppose the Gaza invasion. Are you unable to understand that? Where is this difficult to understand for you?
    Could you please cite this from an objective source? If true, I would in fact join in condemnation, but it had better be from a good source and now some pro Arab rag.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •