Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: 'Smoke-free Taiwan' takes effect today

  1. #21
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: 'Smoke-free Taiwan' takes effect today

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    I am fine with the bans on smoking, but providing incentives to those who rat out their neighbors is absolutely ridiculous. It's none of your business whether someone wants to follow a law or not, as it's simply a matter between the enforcer of the law, and the law breaker.
    It is my business if someone's not following the law affects me or my family. If I am waiting for a bus at a bus stop and a smoker does not follow the law and lights up while I am waiting, it affects me. If I am at a park with my family while my children are playing and someone lights up, it affects myself and my children. If someone lights up inside a 7-11 while I am in line, it affects me.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  2. #22
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,509

    Re: 'Smoke-free Taiwan' takes effect today

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Fascism. Plain and simple. I don't smoke either, so do not attempt that angle.



    exactly. ......
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  3. #23
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: 'Smoke-free Taiwan' takes effect today

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    exactly. ......
    Protecting people from poison is NOT fascism, it is called being responsible.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  4. #24
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,509

    Re: 'Smoke-free Taiwan' takes effect today

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Protecting people from poison is NOT fascism, it is called being responsible.



    You are free not to patronize my establishment if you so choose, I promise!
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  5. #25
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: 'Smoke-free Taiwan' takes effect today

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    You are the one who is crying. Business is "public access". There is no right to spread poison in a place that is accessable to the public.
    pure idiocy

  6. #26
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: 'Smoke-free Taiwan' takes effect today

    Yay for more infringement on private property by a bunch of damned lazy jerks who couldn't do anything for themselves so they authorize the growth of government to take care of the problem for them! Woot! Go big government, go government tyranny! Property..bah, that's stupid. You can't own property anyway, government owns it all. Government is bad enough as it is, it's intrusive enough as it is, but people want to make it more so. It's baffling that people can't figure out that there are severe consequences and responsibilities of freedom.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #27
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,515

    Re: 'Smoke-free Taiwan' takes effect today

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Protecting people from poison is NOT fascism, it is called being responsible.
    I don't get it. You say you are a conservative but don't believe in personal responsibility for your actions? You would rather have the government step in and tell us what we can or cannot do on private property?

    Sounds more like liberal nonsense to me.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: 'Smoke-free Taiwan' takes effect today

    I see the wisdom of this law being passed in Taiwan. Recently I came down with a case of bronchitis, and wherever I went in downtown Nanjing, there was someone lighting up a cigarette... in the restaurant I went to, in the department store I visited, even in the washroom. It contributed to my illness, so I ended up just staying home when I wasn't at school. (Even in the hallways at school, people are allowed to smoke on their breaks.)

    It really depends on the culture at large as to whether or not private businesses will turn a blind eye to smokers, or be more activist about it. In China, it feels like no one cares about indoor smoking. Everywhere you go is second hand smoke, and frankly I am tired of it.

    I understand the principle of letting private businesses allow smoking, and therefore non-smokers should exercise the choice to not go there... but in a place like China, every single establishment is going to have someone lighting up. So if I want to avoid making my bronchitis worse, I just have to stay home, because as a non-smoker I have no choices left.

    I think the individualistic approach works in the West because the culture at large is divided over the issue of smoking. You will always find establishments that forbid smoking, so non-smokers have choices. But in Asia where population density is higher, there is no escape from smokers, and smoking is very much related to status so everyone flaunts it, legislation is needed.

  9. #29
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,515

    Re: 'Smoke-free Taiwan' takes effect today

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    I see the wisdom of this law being passed in Taiwan. Recently I came down with a case of bronchitis, and wherever I went in downtown Nanjing, there was someone lighting up a cigarette... in the restaurant I went to, in the department store I visited, even in the washroom. It contributed to my illness, so I ended up just staying home when I wasn't at school. (Even in the hallways at school, people are allowed to smoke on their breaks.)

    It really depends on the culture at large as to whether or not private businesses will turn a blind eye to smokers, or be more activist about it. In China, it feels like no one cares about indoor smoking. Everywhere you go is second hand smoke, and frankly I am tired of it.

    I understand the principle of letting private businesses allow smoking, and therefore non-smokers should exercise the choice to not go there... but in a place like China, every single establishment is going to have someone lighting up. So if I want to avoid making my bronchitis worse, I just have to stay home, because as a non-smoker I have no choices left.

    I think the individualistic approach works in the West because the culture at large is divided over the issue of smoking. You will always find establishments that forbid smoking, so non-smokers have choices. But in Asia where population density is higher, there is no escape from smokers, and smoking is very much related to status so everyone flaunts it, legislation is needed.
    That makes perfect sense. I guess I am only thinking in terms of the US and the West, not the rest of the world.

  10. #30
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: 'Smoke-free Taiwan' takes effect today

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    article here



    Time for non-smokers to take the offensive against smokers. Some local governments (including where I live) are providing incentives to provide evidence of non-compliance and offering a portion of the fine money to those who provide photographic evidence leading to the imposition and payment of fines.

    My camera phone is ready.

    Smoke free restaurants, night markets, parks, bus stops, etc. How nice. Poor smokers. Think I will weep for them? ABSOLUTELY NOT!
    Enjoy your brown shirt. Be sure to keep the collars starched so that your pin of government service is prominently displayed.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •