Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: No decision on Madoff bail until Monday

  1. #1
    Student DAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    18042
    Last Seen
    07-14-15 @ 04:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    181

    No decision on Madoff bail until Monday

    No decision on Madoff bail until Monday
    Quote Originally Posted by TOM HAYS and LARRY NEUMEISTER Associated Press Writers
    NEW YORK (AP) -- Bernard Madoff avoided the dismal prospect of spending the weekend in jail Friday as a judge delayed a decision on whether to revoke his bail amid allegations that the disgraced financier is trying to keep his assets away from investors burned by a $50 billion fraud.

    [...]

    The bail decision by Magistrate Judge Ronald L. Ellis has been highly anticipated amid an outcry by the public, investors and prosecutors that Madoff be sent to jail. Investors have been especially incensed that a man accused of the largest fraud in history is allowed to spend his days and nights in his $7 million luxury Manhattan apartment.

    [...]

    Madoff was later ordered to be confined to his apartment 24 hours per day with a private guard paid for by Madoff's wife.
    This scumbag should have been sitting in a jail cell since his arrest in early December. Detainment in a $7,000,000 luxury Manhattan apartment hardly seems appropriate given the magnitude and impact of the fraud he perpetrated. Arrest me--on any valid charge--and I would be absolutely delighted to be able to spend my time detained with Ms. DAR in our modest apartment rather than the County cubes or the cells at Rahway.

    So why isn't this dirtbag in jail yet? I know people who have been held in jail for offenses that pale in comparison to Madoff's ponzi scheme.

    Regards,
    DAR
    Back o' the bus, white boy.

  2. #2
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,455
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: No decision on Madoff bail until Monday

    Am I the only one incensed by this? How is it he remains free, even after he broke his bail by sending relatives a million dollars worth of jewelry?

    I can just shake my head and think there's different justice for different classes.


    Bernard Madoff Will Remain Free on Bail, Judge Rules (Update4)
    Email | Print | A A A

    By David Glovin and Erik Larson

    Jan. 12 (Bloomberg) -- Bernard Madoff will remain free on a $10 million bond, a federal judge ruled, denying a request by U.S. prosecutors that he be jailed while awaiting trial on a federal securities fraud charge.

    U.S. Magistrate Judge Ronald Ellis in Manhattan today said Madoff, arrested last month for running an alleged $50 billion Ponzi scheme, may continue to live under house arrest in his Manhattan apartment on the Upper East Side. Ellis imposed new conditions, ordering Madoff to compile an inventory of all items in his home and barring him from transferring property.

    “Because the government has failed to meet its legal burden, the motion is denied,” Ellis wrote in the order. “The government has failed to articulate any flaw in the current conditions of release.”

    Prosecutors agreed to delay seeking a grand jury indictment of Madoff. He is now scheduled to appear in court Feb. 11 for an evidentiary hearing. If indicted before then, he must appear before a judge to answer the new charges, at which time the government may ask again for him to be jailed. Now charged with one count of securities fraud, Madoff faces as much as 20 years in prison and a $5 million fine if convicted.

    Prosecutors on Jan. 5 asked Ellis to jail Madoff because he mailed items including a diamond bracelet and watches to relatives in violation of a court-ordered asset freeze. In a letter to Ellis two days later, Madoff’s defense lawyer, Ira Sorkin, said his client didn’t know the order from a related lawsuit by securities regulators applied to personal items.

    Bloomberg.com: Worldwide
    “No men are anywhere, and I’m allowed to go in, because I’m the owner of the pageant and therefore I’m inspecting it,” Trump said... “‘Is everyone OK’? You know, they’re standing there with no clothes. ‘Is everybody OK?’ And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.”

  3. #3
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,735

    Re: No decision on Madoff bail until Monday

    I can't help but notice that his name is Madoff, as in "Madoff with a lot of other peoples' money".
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  4. #4
    Sage
    bhkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    08-13-10 @ 01:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: No decision on Madoff bail until Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Am I the only one incensed by this? How is it he remains free, even after he broke his bail by sending relatives a million dollars worth of jewelry?

    I can just shake my head and think there's different justice for different classes.


    Bernard Madoff Will Remain Free on Bail, Judge Rules (Update4)
    Email | Print | A A A

    By David Glovin and Erik Larson

    Jan. 12 (Bloomberg) -- Bernard Madoff will remain free on a $10 million bond, a federal judge ruled, denying a request by U.S. prosecutors that he be jailed while awaiting trial on a federal securities fraud charge.

    U.S. Magistrate Judge Ronald Ellis in Manhattan today said Madoff, arrested last month for running an alleged $50 billion Ponzi scheme, may continue to live under house arrest in his Manhattan apartment on the Upper East Side. Ellis imposed new conditions, ordering Madoff to compile an inventory of all items in his home and barring him from transferring property.

    “Because the government has failed to meet its legal burden, the motion is denied,” Ellis wrote in the order. “The government has failed to articulate any flaw in the current conditions of release.”

    Prosecutors agreed to delay seeking a grand jury indictment of Madoff. He is now scheduled to appear in court Feb. 11 for an evidentiary hearing. If indicted before then, he must appear before a judge to answer the new charges, at which time the government may ask again for him to be jailed. Now charged with one count of securities fraud, Madoff faces as much as 20 years in prison and a $5 million fine if convicted.

    Prosecutors on Jan. 5 asked Ellis to jail Madoff because he mailed items including a diamond bracelet and watches to relatives in violation of a court-ordered asset freeze. In a letter to Ellis two days later, Madoff’s defense lawyer, Ira Sorkin, said his client didn’t know the order from a related lawsuit by securities regulators applied to personal items.

    Bloomberg.com: Worldwide
    He wasn't trying to flee and he isn't a danger to the community so I guess the law has to apply to him even though he's a scumbag. He gets bail.

    OBL 11/24/02

  5. #5
    Sage
    bhkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    08-13-10 @ 01:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: No decision on Madoff bail until Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I can't help but notice that his name is Madoff, as in "Madoff with a lot of other peoples' money".
    Sorry, but that was mentioned the first day the scandal was announced. Where ya been?

    OBL 11/24/02

  6. #6
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,455
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: No decision on Madoff bail until Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by bhkad View Post
    He wasn't trying to flee and he isn't a danger to the community so I guess the law has to apply to him even though he's a scumbag. He gets bail.

    That didn't work for Don Seigleman. His ass was whisked off, pronto.
    “No men are anywhere, and I’m allowed to go in, because I’m the owner of the pageant and therefore I’m inspecting it,” Trump said... “‘Is everyone OK’? You know, they’re standing there with no clothes. ‘Is everybody OK?’ And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.”

  7. #7
    Sage
    bhkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    08-13-10 @ 01:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: No decision on Madoff bail until Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    That didn't work for Don Seigleman. His ass was whisked off, pronto.
    I'm not that much into Mafiosi to know who Don Seigleman is/was.

    OBL 11/24/02

  8. #8
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,455
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: No decision on Madoff bail until Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by bhkad View Post
    I'm not that much into Mafiosi to know who Don Seigleman is/was.
    I don't want to derail this thread, so I'll just post this link to Don's website:

    Enter: FREE Governor Don Siegleman : Learn, Give, Act

    He's the former governor of Alabama.
    “No men are anywhere, and I’m allowed to go in, because I’m the owner of the pageant and therefore I’m inspecting it,” Trump said... “‘Is everyone OK’? You know, they’re standing there with no clothes. ‘Is everybody OK?’ And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.”

  9. #9
    Student DAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    18042
    Last Seen
    07-14-15 @ 04:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    181

    Re: No decision on Madoff bail until Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Am I the only one incensed by this? How is it he remains free, even after he broke his bail by sending relatives a million dollars worth of jewelry?
    When Ms. DAR told me that he was not carted off to jail today, I was pretty incensed, too. Every time I see his ugly face on television I wonder why he's not in jail yet. Especially after the jewelry stunt that he pulled.

    But then I thought... maybe, just maybe, the judge knows his wife. And maybe, just maybe, she's a crazy, lunatic, psycho bitch that's giving him more s**t at home than any cellmate ever could. Madoff might just be begging for a jail cell and the judge is just laughing at him. Now that would be sweet.

    I wouldn't be at all surprised if he offed himself a day or two before his trial and never gets to spend a night in jail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    I can just shake my head and think there's different justice for different classes.
    Sad, huh?

    Regards,
    DAR
    Back o' the bus, white boy.

  10. #10
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: No decision on Madoff bail until Monday

    Bkhad has it right. There are only two reasons ever to deny bail to an accused. If the court finds that they're a flight risk, or if the court finds that they pose a danger to the community. It doesn't matter whether you think Madoff is a jerk or not, if he can satisfy the court to the point that they agree that he is not likely to violate either of those conditions, then they have no reason to deny him bail.

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    That didn't work for Don Seigleman. His ass was whisked off, pronto.
    That's not true. Siegelman was released on bond pending trial.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •