Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: No decision on Madoff bail until Monday

  1. #11
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,459
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: No decision on Madoff bail until Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Bkhad has it right. There are only two reasons ever to deny bail to an accused. If the court finds that they're a flight risk, or if the court finds that they pose a danger to the community. It doesn't matter whether you think Madoff is a jerk or not, if he can satisfy the court to the point that they agree that he is not likely to violate either of those conditions, then they have no reason to deny him bail.



    That's not true. Siegelman was released on bond pending trial.
    With the kind of money he has, how could he not be a flight risk?
    “No men are anywhere, and I’m allowed to go in, because I’m the owner of the pageant and therefore I’m inspecting it,” Trump said... “‘Is everyone OK’? You know, they’re standing there with no clothes. ‘Is everybody OK?’ And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.”

  2. #12
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,459
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: No decision on Madoff bail until Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    That's not true. Siegelman was released on bond pending trial.
    You're right, but this is what I meant:

    A petition from 44 former State Attorneys General noted that Governor Siegelman was "denied 45 days to report to prison to give him time to put his affairs in order, an opportunity which is commonly granted" and observed that "because Governor Siegelman is not in any way a flight risk, the denial of a bond pending appeal appears inappropriate, and the shackling of the Governor in handcuffs and leg irons as he was taken out of the courtroom was shocking." The petition noted in contrast that when "another former Governor of Alabama was convicted of corruption charges a few years ago in a case where he personally benefited from his action," unlike Siegelman, he was merely sentenced to probation and that case "was handled by the same lead prosecutor." The petition from the former state attorneys general then noted that "The sentence sought by the prosecutor in Governor Siegelman’s case – 30 years – was excessively disproportionate."[32]

    Don Siegelman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    “No men are anywhere, and I’m allowed to go in, because I’m the owner of the pageant and therefore I’m inspecting it,” Trump said... “‘Is everyone OK’? You know, they’re standing there with no clothes. ‘Is everybody OK?’ And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.”

  3. #13
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 02:43 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,940

    Re: No decision on Madoff bail until Monday

    American justice doing crap like Madoff and any form of justice that does not put him in a cage now is anti-American or maybe it is the new American. I hate this part of my country and would refuse military service if this is what we are now. I watched the Enron thugs up their noses at my country and I grow more towards the thinking that the rich now are no longer a part of this country, rather a part of a world-wide group of 6,000 ultra weathy people that make world policy. I carry the image of tens of thousand of white crosses in graveyards overseas as a reminder of what we once were and hoped to be and have now failed.

    Signed,
    A once proud veteran
    It's nothing more than X's and O's.

  4. #14
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: No decision on Madoff bail until Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    With the kind of money he has, how could he not be a flight risk?
    Because he turned in his passport, is wearing an electronic monitoring bracelet, has guards posted at his apartment 24/7, and is under constant watch by the media?

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    You're right, but this is what I meant:

    A petition from 44 former State Attorneys General noted that Governor Siegelman was "denied 45 days to report to prison to give him time to put his affairs in order, an opportunity which is commonly granted" and observed that "because Governor Siegelman is not in any way a flight risk, the denial of a bond pending appeal appears inappropriate, and the shackling of the Governor in handcuffs and leg irons as he was taken out of the courtroom was shocking." The petition noted in contrast that when "another former Governor of Alabama was convicted of corruption charges a few years ago in a case where he personally benefited from his action," unlike Siegelman, he was merely sentenced to probation and that case "was handled by the same lead prosecutor." The petition from the former state attorneys general then noted that "The sentence sought by the prosecutor in Governor Siegelman’s case – 30 years – was excessively disproportionate."[32]

    Don Siegelman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    As you pointed out, that's a completely different situation.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #15
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: No decision on Madoff bail until Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by rhinefire View Post
    American justice doing crap like Madoff and any form of justice that does not put him in a cage now is anti-American or maybe it is the new American. I hate this part of my country and would refuse military service if this is what we are now. I watched the Enron thugs up their noses at my country and I grow more towards the thinking that the rich now are no longer a part of this country, rather a part of a world-wide group of 6,000 ultra weathy people that make world policy. I carry the image of tens of thousand of white crosses in graveyards overseas as a reminder of what we once were and hoped to be and have now failed.

    Signed,
    A once proud veteran
    Your version of the American way is putting people in a cage without any evidence of guilt or indication that they will flee or be a danger to the community?

    I prefer the "new American way" to yours, thank you very much.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  6. #16
    Steve
    tryreading's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Last Seen
    02-26-13 @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,809

    Re: No decision on Madoff bail until Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Your version of the American way is putting people in a cage without any evidence of guilt or indication that they will flee or be a danger to the community?

    I prefer the "new American way" to yours, thank you very much.
    There is plenty of evidence against Madoff.

    And he should be in jail.

    If a guy held up a bank with a note saying he had a gun, he would be held in jail until trial even if he never had a gun. And he would have been able to steal only a couple thousand dollars or so. Nobody's life would have been ruined, no one's retirement decimated. (Course, he should be in jail, just like Madoff should)

    This sociopath Madoff has ruined lives. He has taken billions of dollars from people in one of the biggest crimes ever. He has no conscience, is emotionally only a borderline human being, and is capable of anything. He should have been jailed from his arrest.

  7. #17
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: No decision on Madoff bail until Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by tryreading View Post
    There is plenty of evidence against Madoff
    That's not one of the bail considerations.

    And he should be in jail.
    Neither is that.

    If a guy held up a bank with a note saying he had a gun, he would be held in jail until trial even if he never had a gun.
    No, he probably wouldn't.

    And he would have been able to steal only a couple thousand dollars or so. Nobody's life would have been ruined, no one's retirement decimated. (Course, he should be in jail, just like Madoff should)

    This sociopath Madoff has ruined lives. He has taken billions of dollars from people in one of the biggest crimes ever. He has no conscience, is emotionally only a borderline human being, and is capable of anything. He should have been jailed from his arrest.
    The reason we have magistrates determine bail is so that emotional arguments like yours are discarded. You don't get to put someone in jail simply because you think they're bad, or even if you think they're really really really really really bad, as you apparently do.

    Rule of law > "I totally hate that guy so **** him"
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  8. #18
    Steve
    tryreading's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Last Seen
    02-26-13 @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,809

    Re: No decision on Madoff bail until Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post

    The reason we have magistrates determine bail is so that emotional arguments like yours are discarded. You don't get to put someone in jail simply because you think they're bad, or even if you think they're really really really really really bad, as you apparently do.

    Rule of law > "I totally hate that guy so **** him"
    No, its common sense, not emotion. A crime like this affects a lot of people. This is stealing on an almost unheard-of level. At the least, this guy should be treated as badly as the more common petty criminal.

  9. #19
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: No decision on Madoff bail until Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by tryreading View Post
    No, its common sense, not emotion. A crime like this affects a lot of people. This is stealing on an almost unheard-of level. At the least, this guy should be treated as badly as the more common petty criminal.
    No, he should be treated the way our law provides for. Our law provides for a bail decision to be made based on two factors, neither of which is sufficient to warrant remand in this case.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •