Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 152

Thread: Jan. 1 Attack By CIA Killed Two Leaders Of Al-Qaeda

  1. #61
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Jan. 1 Attack By CIA Killed Two Leaders Of Al-Qaeda

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    would you send them falafal and hookah? perhaps some lamb shemash.....
    Hookah and lamb... *drools*
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  2. #62
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,455
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Jan. 1 Attack By CIA Killed Two Leaders Of Al-Qaeda

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Iraq absolutely.
    Afghanistan is more of a grey area.
    The United States did have to attack the Taliban, in retaliation to what happened on Sept. 11th. I do agree that sometimes force is needed, and, at that time, Bush made the right decision in regards to Afghanistan. He had the whole world behind him, too, including most Middle Eastern countries.

    After that, we all know what happened next. If Bush would have solely focussed on Afghanistan, this world would be a different place. Unfortunately, Afghanistan looks like a lost cause at present, as there is not near enough troops there to stabilize the country.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  3. #63
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,441

    Re: Jan. 1 Attack By CIA Killed Two Leaders Of Al-Qaeda

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    I would? actually I'd probably drag the terrorists who are launching rockets from my shed out into the street and hang them as a warning to all of them that this is what happens when you bring your little jihad to my schools, towns, churches, backyards........
    And you would probably die in the process. Your situation and your ability to act in the way you say you would is based completely on the fact that you live in America, in relative peace, and with the protection of the government...not in some depressed area of Pakistan, Iraq, or Lebanon ran by heavily armed, ideologically twisted militants who would just as soon cut your child's head off in front of you as look at you. Your psychological disposition and bravery are products of your life in the U.S. Had you been raised in those other countries under similar conditions it's arguable that your disposition might be a bit different.
    *insert profound statement here*

  4. #64
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,571

    Re: Jan. 1 Attack By CIA Killed Two Leaders Of Al-Qaeda

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    And you would probably die in the process. Your situation and your ability to act in the way you say you would is based completely on the fact that you live in America, in relative peace, and with the protection of the government...not in some depressed area of Pakistan, Iraq, or Lebanon ran by heavily armed, ideologically twisted militants who would just as soon cut your child's head off in front of you as look at you. Your psychological disposition and bravery are products of your life in the U.S. Had you been raised in those other countries under similar conditions it's arguable that your disposition might be a bit different.




    no ****. it's called hyperbole..... if all my neighbors tolerated, some liked the terrorists and most feared them, stringing em up might just get me killed. And yes, these savages have no qualms about killing thier own. Which is another reason why dealing with it now is better than letting it fester and letting these people who have to live amongst this suffer in my opinion.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  5. #65
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nashville/Little Mexico Tennessee
    Last Seen
    06-02-09 @ 12:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    523

    Re: Jan. 1 Attack By CIA Killed Two Leaders Of Al-Qaeda

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Great job boys!
    A good martyr is a dead martyr.It`s so much better there...virgins,sand castles,no more mean ole Americans. Mohamed is so good.

  6. #66
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,441

    Re: Jan. 1 Attack By CIA Killed Two Leaders Of Al-Qaeda

    I believe we must continue to carry the fight directly to the extremists. We must take direct action to combat them otherwise we abandon our citizens and our other interests to the extremists and allow them to operate against us at their leisure. We cannot allow that.

    However, it is our very recent use of big stick/cowboy militaristic tactics in the Middle East (as well as our past addiction to influencing the governments of other nations to our way of thinking regardless of the costs to the people of those nations) that have hindered our ability to actually gain significant ground on the core issues behind the formation and growth of extremist terror cells.

    Now I realize I'm going to garner the cat calls of the "you liberals just want to blame America" and that's fine. It's typical ignorant group think like that which keeps partisan politics alive and well here at DP and abroad. But the fact is that America does have a long standing historical stake in the way things have unfolded in the Middle East (as well as many other regions of the world). We are not solely to blame of course, much of Europe as well as the Middle Eastern governments themselves share equally in the credit for what has become of the Middle East. All were forces in shaping the region and fertilizing the ground for growth of extremist elements. The invasion of Iraq was just the culmination of decades of ignorance or simple disregard for the geopolitical dynamics of the region. It was going to be our way or the highway. We were right, they were wrong. However we weren't really right and our actions gave birth to a whole new generation of extremists.

    We aren't just fighting an idealism, we are fighting the ghosts of past failures as well. The idealism is a very real dynamic of this "War on Terror" in that it is a primary fuel for what drives our enemy and we, as Americans...as Westerners...cannot defeat it. WE CANNOT DEFEAT IT. It's not tangible, we cannot bomb it away. It has to die out though moderate evolution of the geopolitical situation in the region. Take a look at the mentality of Al Qaeda for prima facia evidence of what I say. They took years to plot, plan, train, and finally execute their attacks. We not only have long standing, deep rooted terror cells acting out...we have a whole new class of recruits that are just as motivated to kill and destroy. They can look back out our history, the history they know (not what we are contented to tell ourselves about ourselves) and find plenty of reason to lash out. We trained and supported men who exploited their own people for the benefit of themselves and their paymasters...the U.S. and Europe. Combine this history with the very real and very distinct religious differences of the region and you have some extremely volatile ingredients...that we ignored. That we continue to gloss over and not talk about because it "undermines the war effort" and it's "liberal apologistics."

    We are right in taking the fight to our enemy, they are trying to kill us. But we cannot continue to walk around with this cowboy swagger and simply say "**** 'em, bring it on!" We have to act with discretion, we have to act with caution, and we have to make sure we get it right. We cannot afford to continue making monumental blunder in foreign policy at the tip of a bayonet.

    Being a patriot is loving one's country and doing what is best for it. Self-examination and coming to terms with our past transgressions is the only way we can ever hope to not repeat those mistakes in the future. That is not being "un patriotic" yet it's very frequently inferred. The invasion of Iraq was not all that long ago when you compare that time line to the backdrop of our historical involvement in Middle Eastern affairs. At some point we as a nation have got to stand up to the hawks among us who decry "patriotism" and shout down those that don't agree with them calling them "traitor, terrorist sympathizers, and apologists." It's not a conservative/liberal or Republican/Democrat thing. It's an American thing and we've got to get a hold of it or we can look forward to decades more of the same old same old.
    Last edited by Lerxst; 01-10-09 at 06:02 PM.
    *insert profound statement here*

  7. #67
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,441

    Re: Jan. 1 Attack By CIA Killed Two Leaders Of Al-Qaeda

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    A good martyr is a dead martyr.
    Is there any other kind?
    *insert profound statement here*

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Jan. 1 Attack By CIA Killed Two Leaders Of Al-Qaeda

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Is there any other kind?
    Obviously not.
    I wonder what the hell he thinks a martyr is?
    If he'd grown up Catholic, he'd damn sure know.

  9. #69
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Jan. 1 Attack By CIA Killed Two Leaders Of Al-Qaeda

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    Obviously not.
    I wonder what the hell he thinks a martyr is?
    If he'd grown up Catholic, he'd damn sure know.
    Peanut Martyr and Jelly time....
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  10. #70
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,441

    Re: Jan. 1 Attack By CIA Killed Two Leaders Of Al-Qaeda

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    no ****. it's called hyperbole..... if all my neighbors tolerated, some liked the terrorists and most feared them, stringing em up might just get me killed. And yes, these savages have no qualms about killing thier own.
    I understand it's hyperbole, it's just that kind of bravado that aggravates the debate here because it completely dismisses the actual situation of those who are living the nightmare everyday. It's just an example of the counter point to those who are coming in here and suggesting that we need to do more than just press "fire," we need to critically examine not just our enemy, but the places from which they came, their strain of religious belief, their social structure, their whole environment...as well as our own...before we can truly figure out how to "win."

    Which is another reason why dealing with it now is better than letting it fester and letting these people who have to live amongst this suffer in my opinion.
    Yes, but dealing with it now doesn't in any way encompass how to neutralize the threat posed. I know you realize that we have to approach this thing from multiple angles, I just don't understand why you don't express this more.

    We can still be right, and we can still be the good guys...and we can still manage to accept and own up to our own failings in the situation.
    Last edited by Lerxst; 01-10-09 at 06:37 PM.
    *insert profound statement here*

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •