Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: U.N. suspends aid work in Gaza

  1. #1
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,881

    U.N. suspends aid work in Gaza

    GAZA CITY, Gaza (CNN) -- The main humanitarian aid group for the United Nations in Gaza has suspended activities in the Palestinian territory, its chief spokesman said Thursday.

    The move comes after a U.N. Relief and Works Agency truck driver was killed and two other people were wounded by an Israeli tank shell near the Erez Crossing, said Adnan Abu Hasna, a spokesman for the U.N. agency in Gaza.

    A spokeswoman for the Israeli military said it is not aware of the attack but said Hamas militants sometimes have targeted U.N. aid trucks to take food.

    The U.N. relief agency will suspend activities until the Israeli military can guarantee the safety of its staff, said the agency's chief spokesman, Chris Gunness, in Jerusalem.

    The U.N. agency provides food and relief supplies to about 80 percent of Gaza's 1.5 million people.

    Israeli artillery and missiles have struck three U.N. schools in Gaza this week. More than 40 civilians were killed in a strike Tuesday on a U.N. school in Jabalya that was being used as a shelter. Three people were killed in airstrike Monday on a school shelter in Gaza City.

    Israeli Foreign Ministry spokesman Yigal Palmor said Israeli forces fired on Hamas militants in "the immediate vicinity" of the Jabalya school. Gunness vehemently denied any militants were inside the school and demanded that Israel agree to an impartial investigation.

    FULL STORY

  2. #2
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,881

    Re: U.N. suspends aid work in Gaza

    The most important part:

    The move comes after a U.N. Relief and Works Agency truck driver was killed and two other people were wounded by an Israeli tank shell near the Erez Crossing, said Adnan Abu Hasna, a spokesman for the U.N. agency in Gaza.

  3. #3
    Reactor Janitor
    Joby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Olympic Peninsula
    Last Seen
    10-24-17 @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    2,276

    Re: U.N. suspends aid work in Gaza

    Yes, but all these attacks were on targets Israel clearly intended to hit.

    If they had simply used a katysuha then it would have been an act of terrorism.

    But since the Israelis decided to take aim at the school, truck, aid, or whatever, it's clearly an act of defense.

    Khayembi, you should know that Israel can do no wrong. Duh.
    down for you is up

  4. #4
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,881

    Re: U.N. suspends aid work in Gaza

    From Juan Cole:

    The UN is halting its relief works in Gaza, after an Israeli tank fired on a UN truck, killing the driver:

    ' "The IDF knows all of our movements, and coordinates. Despite that we are still coming under attack," says Chris Gunness, a spokesman for the UN Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA). "Until the [Israeli Defense Forces] can guarantee the safety and security of our staff, everything is suspended."'

    It is hard not to suspect that the Israeli army doesn't actually want the aid workers in Gaza (they have already excluded reporters) because of what the workers find when they look into the rubble of buildings the army has hit. AP writes:

    ' During a three-hour pause in the fighting to allow in food and fuel and let medics collect the dead, nearly three dozen bodies were found beneath the rubble of bombed out buildings in Gaza City. Many of the dead were in the same neighborhood where the international Red Cross said rescuers discovered young children too weak to stand who had stayed by their dead mothers. The aid group accused Israel of an "unacceptable" delay in allowing workers to reach the area."

    Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni has admitted that pictures of civilian deaths coming out of Gaza generate pressure on Israel for a cease-fire, which the government is resisting for as long as possible.

    Half of Gazans are children, and half of Gazans depend on external food aid. Even with that aid, about 17% of Gazans are malnourished. If the UN doesn't deliever food supplies, you are talking about vulnerable populations facing starvation.

  5. #5
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: U.N. suspends aid work in Gaza

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    From Juan Cole:

    The UN is halting its relief works in Gaza, after an Israeli tank fired on a UN truck, killing the driver:

    ' "The IDF knows all of our movements, and coordinates. Despite that we are still coming under attack," says Chris Gunness, a spokesman for the UN Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA). "Until the [Israeli Defense Forces] can guarantee the safety and security of our staff, everything is suspended."'

    It is hard not to suspect that the Israeli army doesn't actually want the aid workers in Gaza (they have already excluded reporters) because of what the workers find when they look into the rubble of buildings the army has hit. AP writes:

    ' During a three-hour pause in the fighting to allow in food and fuel and let medics collect the dead, nearly three dozen bodies were found beneath the rubble of bombed out buildings in Gaza City. Many of the dead were in the same neighborhood where the international Red Cross said rescuers discovered young children too weak to stand who had stayed by their dead mothers. The aid group accused Israel of an "unacceptable" delay in allowing workers to reach the area."

    Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni has admitted that pictures of civilian deaths coming out of Gaza generate pressure on Israel for a cease-fire, which the government is resisting for as long as possible.

    Half of Gazans are children, and half of Gazans depend on external food aid. Even with that aid, about 17% of Gazans are malnourished. If the UN doesn't deliever food supplies, you are talking about vulnerable populations facing starvation.
    Now, I'm not expressing an opinion as to what actually happened, because I truly couldn't care less about this whole thing, but think logically for a minute.

    Juan Cole, disingenuous prick that he is, is claiming that Israel is intentionally killing the UN workers because they want to get them out of Gaza. Why? Because when they're in Gaza, they're supposedly finding dead bodies which creates bad publicity.

    Think about that for a second.

    If I'm Israel, and I'm trying to avoid bad publicity, do you think I'm going to make killing UN aid workers my top priority? The negative publicity from this outweighs any possible negative publicity that could result from aid workers finding dead bodies in a war zone. It's just idiotic logic.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,881

    Re: U.N. suspends aid work in Gaza

    It didn't need to be a direct order; that, as you said, makes no sense. Generally these type of atrocities happen because of an overall idea that permeates the whole, leading some to act in such ways.

    Of course, it's not like Israel is doing a good job of covering up the atrocities. When journalists aren't allowed somewhere, it's blatantly obvious that something nefarious is happening.

  7. #7
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: U.N. suspends aid work in Gaza

    It is a freaking WAR ZONE! Accidents happen in war zones. People die in war zones. Astonishing fact this, I know. People providing aid KNOW they are in a war zone. If you are in a war zone, you may get hit. I am sure people who die from "friendly fire" are the victim of intentional attacks by their own mates. Guys. This is a war zone. War sucks. People die. Live with it.

    Is there ANY evidence at all that this was intentional? ANY?!?!?
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  8. #8
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: U.N. suspends aid work in Gaza

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    The most important part:

    The move comes after a U.N. Relief and Works Agency truck driver was killed and two other people were wounded by an Israeli tank shell near the Erez Crossing, said Adnan Abu Hasna, a spokesman for the U.N. agency in Gaza.
    That is sick.
    A UN envoy carrying aid being attacked by the "civilized" side

  9. #9
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: U.N. suspends aid work in Gaza

    The UN is a bunch of gutless bastards. People are going hungry and sick because they're afraid of a couple of bullets.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: U.N. suspends aid work in Gaza

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    If I'm Israel, and I'm trying to avoid bad publicity, do you think I'm going to make killing UN aid workers my top priority? The negative publicity from this outweighs any possible negative publicity that could result from aid workers finding dead bodies in a war zone. It's just idiotic logic.
    I'm sure they aren't purposefully targeting the UN. However, Israel has demonstrated many many times that if they think there are terrorists there, they have very little concern for the surrounding area and people. They will take out civilians to get to the terrorists; they have absolutely no problem with it. 100's of civilians for 10 or so terrorists...well worth it.

    I don't necessarily buy the "trying to avoid bad publicity" angle. So long as Israel is blindly and unwaveringly supported by the West; particularly America, they have no incentive to change. It doesn't matter if they happen to take out a few UN folk trying to get to terrorists, they will have the same funding and same military hardware and will face no negative consequences because of it. So I would imagine they would continue along the same path they've been traveling for quite some time. Get the terrorists no matter what the cost.
    Last edited by Ikari; 01-09-09 at 12:13 PM.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •