Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 78 of 78

Thread: Mitchell, Paul Continue Efforts to Block Congressional Pay Raise

  1. #71
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Mitchell, Paul Continue Efforts to Block Congressional Pay Raise

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by ShamMol View Post

    I guess that I, and the Federalist and Constitution Societies, and all the Senators who are on the Judiciary Committee are mistaken as to what judicial politics is then. I think that it is fairly commonly agreed upon that the view of the applicaiton of the constitution, from strict constructional to living document, is political, and falls upon political lines. I assume, thus, that is where your argument about what is wrong comes down,a nd thus is political. Thus, they shouldn't be fired for interpreting the constitution a way that we don't like, because they are allowed to.
    Yes, decisions are political, I am talking about very extreme cases in bad faith, we are going past interpretation and politics, but an actual ignoring of the founding document etc.



    You are conservative, you should know that what you just said is complete bs, unless you are an econ-challenged individual.
    What he said is a little over dramatic, but there is a small amount of truth in it, some judges decisions have allowed regulations that are burdensome, some suits that are frivolous, and other economic damages that have put dents in markets and strained monetary systems, but these are negligible damages in the grand scheme of economics.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Mitchell, Paul Continue Efforts to Block Congressional Pay Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Looks like Ron Paul is still practicing what he preaches, unlike a President, a President to be, and the new President's former campaign opponent.

    Kudos to Ron Paul, who never compromised his values. Stuff that pay raise up their collective asses, Ron. They don't deserve it.

    Final word - Hey GOP, you picked the wrong guy.

    Article is here.
    Hear-hear!

  3. #73
    Only Way Round is Through
    ShamMol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Pasadena, California
    Last Seen
    01-13-09 @ 12:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,988

    Re: Mitchell, Paul Continue Efforts to Block Congressional Pay Raise

    [QUOTE=LaMidRighter;1057879543]
    ]

    What he said is a little over dramatic, but there is a small amount of truth in it, some judges decisions have allowed regulations that are burdensome, some suits that are frivolous, and other economic damages that have put dents in markets and strained monetary systems, but these are negligible damages in the grand scheme of economics.
    They are negligible, yes. But, here is the thing. These judges are required to hear these cases and make a judgement, and it is largely on precedent. That means that about 800 district court judges have little choice in how they make a decision because of past rulings. Yes, you will get an uber-liberal or ultra-conservative judge, but ultimately, almost all the rulings are predetermined, especially in what many call frivilous law suits because the burden to bring suit is so low.

  4. #74
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: Mitchell, Paul Continue Efforts to Block Congressional Pay Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Looks like Ron Paul is still practicing what he preaches, unlike a President, a President to be, and the new President's former campaign opponent.

    Kudos to Ron Paul, who never compromised his values. Stuff that pay raise up their collective asses, Ron. They don't deserve it.

    Final word - Hey GOP, you picked the wrong guy.

    Article is here.
    I wonder if Ron Paul donates all the extra money his paycheck goes up by to some charity. He's been in congress for what? Like 20 years now? That's easily what? 60-70 grand a year to charity?

    Representative Ron Paul (Texas) - Staff salaries from LegiStorm

    Seems like he makes about $174,000USD a year. Anybody knows what he does with the extra money he's been getting? Does he throw it away? Give it to poor kids? Return it? What exactly has he been doing with the extra money in his paychecks? I mean obviously Ron Paul's opposition to pay raises can't be a new thing so what does he do with it? Any Paul Supporters care to answer?
    Last edited by Hatuey; 01-11-09 at 03:50 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #75
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Mitchell, Paul Continue Efforts to Block Congressional Pay Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by ShamMol View Post

    They are negligible, yes. But, here is the thing. These judges are required to hear these cases and make a judgement, and it is largely on precedent. That means that about 800 district court judges have little choice in how they make a decision because of past rulings. Yes, you will get an uber-liberal or ultra-conservative judge, but ultimately, almost all the rulings are predetermined, especially in what many call frivilous law suits because the burden to bring suit is so low.
    Fair enough, but there needs to be some reform from the top down in my opinion, because even though the overall economic effects are negligible admittedly, someone still has to pay it.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #76
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Mitchell, Paul Continue Efforts to Block Congressional Pay Raise

    [QUOTE=ShamMol;1057879421]
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    You are conservative, you should know that what you just said is complete bs, unless you are an econ-challenged individual.

    Federal judges have no control over the markets, nor have the markets demanded that the federal government leave. In fact, they encourage it - look at the NSE when TARP was announced.

    wow are you ignorant. It didn't get the term elastic clause for nothing.

    Now go prey to the central planners or something, you are totally out of your league.

  7. #77
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Mitchell, Paul Continue Efforts to Block Congressional Pay Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    wow are you ignorant. It didn't get the term elastic clause for nothing.

    Now go prey to the central planners or something, you are totally out of your league.
    Just to be clear, the quote in this post should read:

    Quote Originally Posted by ShamMol View Post
    You are conservative, you should know that what you just said is complete bs, unless you are an econ-challenged individual.

    Federal judges have no control over the markets, nor have the markets demanded that the federal government leave. In fact, they encourage it - look at the NSE when TARP was announced.
    There's a bit of a mistake regarding who the quote was attributed to and I thought it should be know that Lamidrighter didn't say it, ShamMol did.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  8. #78
    Only Way Round is Through
    ShamMol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Pasadena, California
    Last Seen
    01-13-09 @ 12:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,988

    Re: Mitchell, Paul Continue Efforts to Block Congressional Pay Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    wow are you ignorant. It didn't get the term elastic clause for nothing.

    Now go prey to the central planners or something, you are totally out of your league.
    Not out of my league, we just have different understandings, but that is ok.

    Now, the basket clause is soemthing completely necessary to how our government functions, and if I am reading your post correctly, and inferring it correctly, you don't think that it should be used as much as it is, and thusly that judges should strike down a lot of those laws. Whereas, precedent demands that they don't and allow those laws to stand.

    Am I far off from your meaning?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •