Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 78

Thread: Mitchell, Paul Continue Efforts to Block Congressional Pay Raise

  1. #61
    Only Way Round is Through
    ShamMol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Pasadena, California
    Last Seen
    01-13-09 @ 12:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,988

    Re: Mitchell, Paul Continue Efforts to Block Congressional Pay Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    Your question was pretty lame actually.

    The logical question is what great candidates are we missing out on because of salary concerns justifying an increase. Do we have an epidemic where nominees are turning down the position of scRotus? Has it happened even once?
    From a NYT's article:

    "By statute, a sitting federal trial judge makes $165,200 a year. That’s a lot of money, the same pay as a member of Congress. But as the chief justice notes in his report, judges have fallen well behind the American labor force as a whole in keeping up with inflation. Since 1969, a judge’s pay has declined by 23.9 percent, adjusted for inflation, while the national average for all wages rose by 17.8 percent."

    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/05/opinion/05fri2.html

    I point to the John Robert's chart detailing judicial pay falling in comparison to everyone else.

    Judicial Compensation - U.S. Courts

  2. #62
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Mitchell, Paul Continue Efforts to Block Congressional Pay Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Looks like Ron Paul is still practicing what he preaches, unlike a President, a President to be, and the new President's former campaign opponent.

    Kudos to Ron Paul, who never compromised his values. Stuff that pay raise up their collective asses, Ron. They don't deserve it.

    Final word - Hey GOP, you picked the wrong guy.

    Article is here.
    I think Ron Paul has the right idea. Personally I think politicians just like any other employee on earth who wants a raise should ask their employer for a raise. Politicians seem to be about the only tax payer funded employees who get to give themselves pay raises.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #63
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Mitchell, Paul Continue Efforts to Block Congressional Pay Raise

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by ShamMol View Post
    I have a question - should judges be denied their COLAs while all Congressmen and Senators get it each year? Because that is what's happening.
    No one should be denied anything promised as part of the job, but anything extra during a term of service, changing the rules midstream so to say, is not okay.

    There is a reason they can't be fired for political reasons - they are independent from the other branches. They can be impeached if they make a bad legal decision, but that just doesn't happen, and nor should it. Judges are there to apply the law, not reaffirm our politics.
    It's not about my politics, and I agree, a politically controversial opinion shouldn't be grounds for impeachment, but something that can arguably be a misrepresentation of the constitution should be, I think we can agree on that part. Also, I do understand the reasons for judicial immunity and they are very logical, but there needs to be a check for their check in cases of bad faith decisions.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  4. #64
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Mitchell, Paul Continue Efforts to Block Congressional Pay Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by ShamMol View Post
    From a NYT's article:

    "By statute, a sitting federal trial judge makes $165,200 a year. That’s a lot of money, the same pay as a member of Congress. But as the chief justice notes in his report, judges have fallen well behind the American labor force as a whole in keeping up with inflation. Since 1969, a judge’s pay has declined by 23.9 percent, adjusted for inflation, while the national average for all wages rose by 17.8 percent."
    just desserts!

    If federal judges weren't so complacent in allowing the gross expansion of government funded activity, inflation wouldn't really be an issue.

  5. #65
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Mitchell, Paul Continue Efforts to Block Congressional Pay Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    just desserts!

    If federal judges weren't so complacent in allowing the gross expansion of government funded activity, inflation wouldn't really be an issue.
    That's a cold way to look at it, but there is some truth in that.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #66
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Mitchell, Paul Continue Efforts to Block Congressional Pay Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    You know, I'm actually a Ron Paul supporter...

    But its amazing how much people who complain that democrats use class warfare and try to punish the successful turn around and are having a fun go at judges and lawyers for daring to make themselves successful.

    True conservativism there folks, really, way to prove your point

    I remember you more as the fence sitter that liked some of his positions but were too turned off by his supporters to go all in.

    We have several issues here. First off, our government officials have performed poorly and really have no business seeing an increase in pay. Secondly, no solid evidence exists showing that current pay structure is a hindrance in getting or retaining qualified individuals, and lastly I have little regard for the "skills" needed to be a modern lawyer or judge anyway.

    The claim is that this is a way to pander to his supporters, which isn't accurate. In fact, he doesn't really need to pander to his actual supporters, what he is doing is using every opportunity that comes along to gain new supporters by pointing out the largess of government at all levels.

  7. #67
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Mitchell, Paul Continue Efforts to Block Congressional Pay Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by ShamMol View Post
    I point to the John Robert's chart detailing judicial pay falling in comparison to everyone else.

    Judicial Compensation - U.S. Courts
    Robertson is right about the pay scales. The private sector is getting most of the talent. If we want a good judicial system, we're going to have to offer incentives to get the talent we need.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #68
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Mitchell, Paul Continue Efforts to Block Congressional Pay Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    just desserts!

    If federal judges weren't so complacent in allowing the gross expansion of government funded activity, inflation wouldn't really be an issue.
    if you weren't so complacent in giving judges ****ty raises, maybe you'd get judges good enough to see this problem.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  9. #69
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Mitchell, Paul Continue Efforts to Block Congressional Pay Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    I remember you more as the fence sitter that liked some of his positions but were too turned off by his supporters to go all in.
    You must've missed the post detailing why I was actually voting for Ron Paul, and the different times defending him against some on the right that would go after his views. It just happens that because I didn't look at "Dr Paul" as the messiah that could do no wrong and dared to say I disagreed with him in some ways or that there were significant flaws with his campaign and likihood of ever actually reaching the Presidency some of the more extreme Paul fans decided that I wasn't "really" a Paul voter and that I was just another "sheeple"

    As to the rest, I can understand and agree with his feelings about the congress and senate themselves. My issue wasn't with disagreement there. It was more the comments by some basically sneering at, slamming, and insulting people for daring to actually succeed and want to do well in a capitalist society.

  10. #70
    Only Way Round is Through
    ShamMol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Pasadena, California
    Last Seen
    01-13-09 @ 12:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,988

    Re: Mitchell, Paul Continue Efforts to Block Congressional Pay Raise

    [QUOTE=LaMidRighter;1057878707]
    It's not about my politics, and I agree, a politically controversial opinion shouldn't be grounds for impeachment, but something that can arguably be a misrepresentation of the constitution should be, I think we can agree on that part. Also, I do understand the reasons for judicial immunity and they are very logical, but there needs to be a check for their check in cases of bad faith decisions.
    I guess that I, and the Federalist and Constitution Societies, and all the Senators who are on the Judiciary Committee are mistaken as to what judicial politics is then. I think that it is fairly commonly agreed upon that the view of the applicaiton of the constitution, from strict constructional to living document, is political, and falls upon political lines. I assume, thus, that is where your argument about what is wrong comes down,a nd thus is political. Thus, they shouldn't be fired for interpreting the constitution a way that we don't like, because they are allowed to.

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    just desserts!

    If federal judges weren't so complacent in allowing the gross expansion of government funded activity, inflation wouldn't really be an issue.
    You are conservative, you should know that what you just said is complete bs, unless you are an econ-challenged individual.

    Federal judges have no control over the markets, nor have the markets demanded that the federal government leave. In fact, they encourage it - look at the NSE when TARP was announced.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •