Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 78

Thread: Mitchell, Paul Continue Efforts to Block Congressional Pay Raise

  1. #31
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Mitchell, Paul Continue Efforts to Block Congressional Pay Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    But do they deserve it? There is more to it than just the pay itself. It is the principle behind it. You don't reward people for doing a crappy job, except in government, and that is what I would like to see changed.
    The vast majority of Congressmen work their asses off and deserve far more than they are currently getting paid. That's not even mentioning judges, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    It's no wonder we are in such economic straights when the pursuit of sensible fiscal policy is pandering.
    The total cost of this pay raise is slightly over $2 million. Do you really think this is worth battling over? Why is he flipping out more over this than over other spendings? Because this gets headlines and a whole bunch of Joe Sickpacks saying things exactly like we're seeing in this thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    Why, so we can recruit a higher class of lawyers, central planners, do gooders, and other such scoundrels?

    I'll pass.

    If you want to raise pay significantly, do it with military personal, not the jerks that seek power and prestige.
    The two are mutually exclusive?

    I've said it before and I'll say it again. It is an absolute travesty that the average 24 year old fresh out of law school working at a big firm makes more than Supreme Court Justices. Ridiculous.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  2. #32
    Advisor SWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    If love was cow blood, I'd be a slaugterhouse.
    Last Seen
    01-20-10 @ 08:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    310

    Re: Mitchell, Paul Continue Efforts to Block Congressional Pay Raise

    This is a nice gesture by Paul, but it is entirely symbolic. A $2000k pay raise is the equivalent of less than one cent per citizen per year. Paul knows this, if he can do math. I hope that his growing constituency is capable of math as well. It has more to do with playing up his base than with selflessness, I imagine.

    Perhaps he is right, perhaps the salaries for congressmen are exorbitant, I don't know. But it's just such an overwhelmingly negligible issue. If Mr. Paul is a great congressman or a great leader, it is not because he voted against a pay raise for himself. This is a meaningless, figurative action.

  3. #33
    Only Way Round is Through
    ShamMol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Pasadena, California
    Last Seen
    01-13-09 @ 12:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,988

    Re: Mitchell, Paul Continue Efforts to Block Congressional Pay Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. It is an absolute travesty that the average 24 year old fresh out of law school working at a big firm makes more than Supreme Court Justices. Ridiculous.
    It is. Here is another weird little fact. All judges have law clerks, as you probably know, and those law clerks, by spending one year with a federal judge, will earn the exact same as them when they leave their service because of how much "experience they get." Basically, they will make at least $160k in a big firm, and in two years, be making at least $200k if they do a decent job.

    If they clerked for a SCOTUS justice, watch out, they will be making $225k within the year they leave, if they are fresh out of school.

    Judicial pay should be an issue, because people leave the profession each year to go to the private sector and make 4x that amount. And give them their COLA, which Congress keeps granting themselves, but denying judges.

  4. #34
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Mitchell, Paul Continue Efforts to Block Congressional Pay Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. It is an absolute travesty that the average 24 year old fresh out of law school working at a big firm makes more than Supreme Court Justices. Ridiculous.
    I don't see the travesty. I'd go as far as saying your use of the term travesty is absurd hyperbole.

    It's unfortunate that we live in such a litigious society that worthless lawyers can draw such a high salary, but why exacerbate the problem by allowing overcompensation in goverment?

  5. #35
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Mitchell, Paul Continue Efforts to Block Congressional Pay Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by ShamMol View Post
    It is. Here is another weird little fact. All judges have law clerks, as you probably know, and those law clerks, by spending one year with a federal judge, will earn the exact same as them when they leave their service because of how much "experience they get." Basically, they will make at least $160k in a big firm, and in two years, be making at least $200k if they do a decent job.

    If they clerked for a SCOTUS justice, watch out, they will be making $225k within the year they leave, if they are fresh out of school.

    Judicial pay should be an issue, because people leave the profession each year to go to the private sector and make 4x that amount. And give them their COLA, which Congress keeps granting themselves, but denying judges.
    Most top firms offer SCOTUS Clerks $250k signing bonuses.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  6. #36
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Mitchell, Paul Continue Efforts to Block Congressional Pay Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    I don't see the travesty. I'd go as far as saying your use of the term travesty is absurd hyperbole.

    It's unfortunate that we live in such a litigious society that worthless lawyers can draw such a high salary, but why exacerbate the problem by allowing overcompensation in goverment?
    Further example of the populist tripe that this move is designed to encourage.

    Do you actually think that judges are "worthless lawyers" or that they don't deserve their salaries?

    It's funny, because the people who are bitching about this are the same people who always bitch about how terrible judges are whenever they make bad decisions. Maybe if we actually paid judges what they're worth, we wouldn't have so many bad decisions.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Mitchell, Paul Continue Efforts to Block Congressional Pay Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    The same crowd? Just us pissants, of course - Or at least what you and the other co-call "mainstream" Big Government Republicans think of as pissants. You forget that us pissants all voted for and supported Ronald Reagan. You forget that us pissants all helped "vote in" the Gingrich revolution. We were mainstream Conservatives who solidly supported the Republican party, which happened to have a big tent at the time. Then the GOP went for big government and big spending, with a "my way or the highway" attitude. Gutted was the Conservatism that took them to the top, and enabled them to reclaim the government from the big government, big spending Democrats. They became what they had vanquished. Us pissants were marginalized and called freaks and nuts, while the real nuttery was the new Republican party, which drove our economy off a cliff.

    Yes, we are pissants, but we ARE a solid part of Conservative constituency and, frankly, without us, it is going to be very dark and very cold in a Republican party without power. You had better find a way to once again include us, along with some Conservative principles, unless you want to throw in the towel to the Democrats. The ball is in your court. A continued arrogant attitude of the party towards us pissants will result in the slow death of the Republican party.
    Nothing can be more ironic than conservative "pissants", as you say, voting for the Democrat or refusing to vote for the Republican candidate out of principle only to get MORE rabid tax and spend Liberals in Government.


  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Mitchell, Paul Continue Efforts to Block Congressional Pay Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Looks like Ron Paul is still practicing what he preaches, unlike a President, a President to be, and the new President's former campaign opponent.

    Kudos to Ron Paul, who never compromised his values. Stuff that pay raise up their collective asses, Ron. They don't deserve it.

    Final word - Hey GOP, you picked the wrong guy.

    Article is here.
    Fascinating how you turn this into a Ron Paul cheer leading event as if he alone is the one who believes this.

    Great thread though; it is a travesty that this is not getting mainstream media attention; at least I have not seen any on this.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Mitchell, Paul Continue Efforts to Block Congressional Pay Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    I say do a pay rate based on the job performance, let the scale reset every new congress, with merit based pay, a demerit system to keep these guys honest, a fine system, and any other thing we can come up with. The job they have done deserves a boot in the ass, not a pay raise.
    Can we tie it to their approval ratings? Right now we would be getting one hell of a bargain!

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Mitchell, Paul Continue Efforts to Block Congressional Pay Raise

    Quote Originally Posted by TOJ View Post
    And your constituency has been left in the dust. The last election should have taught you that the USA has moved left and is going to continue on that path. Conservatives might as well get used to it.
    Well aside from your wishful thinking and denial, the American people need a constant reminder every ten years or so why Liberal politicians should be relegated to the fringes of political power; this majority too shall pass after the current ilk of morons messes things up even more so than those who claim Bush did.

    Carry on.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •