Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 439

Thread: Joe the Plumber to become war correspondent

  1. #401
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Joe the Plumber to become war correspondent

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    That's exactly the type of thing that I'm thinking about. Personally, I don't frequent titty bars myself, but I think people have a right to do so. I also think they have a right to live in a town free form titty bars.

    I would prefer not to live next door to a titty bar, especially if I had children.

    In order for me to support this personal right, I must in turn support similar personal rights which I may not agree with in nature, or else I am engaging in hypocrisy.

    That's the bitch about freedom. In order to guarantee as many freedoms as possible that I agree with, I must also be equally willing to support many freedoms which I personally find thoroughly objectionable (such as a local dancing ban).

    Yeah it is tough call. I do think business can be regulated and the goal of tiddie bars is not that high minded.

  2. #402
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: Joe the Plumber to become war correspondent

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    So... you oppose the welfare state?
    Why don't you explain for us your idea of what the "wellfare state" is, so that we can properly discuss it? Please try and make it longer than 2 sentences if possible.

  3. #403
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: Joe the Plumber to become war correspondent

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I think welfare should be a state issue, not a federal one. If a state wants to have welfare, they would need to fund it form their own taxes. Of course, this would probably mean that most rich people who would receive the brunt of the taxes would move, but so be it. That would be the result of it.

    Personally, I would support unemployment and a rudimmentary form of welfare that would not be abused and be willing to pay extra taxes to have this privelidge within my state, but only if it were abolished as the national standard.
    Abuse can't be prevented only minimized and I consider that sufficient. I would rather let 1 guy get away with soaking me to ensure that 10 didn't freeze or starve to death.

  4. #404
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: Joe the Plumber to become war correspondent

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Its pretty clear that forcing morality on others is unacceptable only when you disagree with the morality being forced.
    Why don't people, especially conservatives understand that there is a good reason why some things must be forced on society for it's own good. Because there are people who don't give a **** about anything or anyone but themselves, until it becomes relevant to them of course. I like to call this NRS (Nancy Reagan Syndrome). Stem cell research? NO WAY, until alzheimers affects me or my loved ones. Welfare? NO WAY, until I get rearended and can't ever walk again... or laid off and can't find work...

  5. #405
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Joe the Plumber to become war correspondent

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    Why don't people, especially conservatives understand that there is a good reason why some things must be forced on society for it's own good. Because there are people who don't give a **** about anything or anyone but themselves, until it becomes relevant to them of course. I like to call this NRS (Nancy Reagan Syndrome). Stem cell research? NO WAY, until alzheimers affects me or my loved ones. Welfare? NO WAY, until I get rearended and can't ever walk again... or laid off and can't find work...
    So.......I have to have my ability to obtain and accumulate property(money) hindered on behalf of someone I will probably never meet because it is for my own good? Or I have to understand that my charitable donations are less effective than government beauracracies? Again, no one is constitutionally required to give a **** about society, at least none of the constitutional and founding writings I've ever read. BTW, conservatives typically give more to charity, we just don't like the nanny state forcing people to "share" by over taxing them, that's not charity, that's theft.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #406
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Joe the Plumber to become war correspondent

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    Why don't people, especially conservatives understand that there is a good reason why some things must be forced on society for it's own good.
    Like... banning abortion?
    Marriage defined as man-woman?

    Oh, you didn't mean -those- things. Hmm.

    And so, we're back to it being Ipretty clear that forcing morality on others is unacceptable only when you disagree with the morality being forced.

  7. #407
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,335
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Joe the Plumber to become war correspondent

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Can this guy get any more ridiculous?

    Joe the Plumber to become war correspondent - Yahoo! News

    One day he is going to realize that over half the country think he is nothing more than a big clown.
    He is the one guy who actually got BHO to reveal what he was about.

    A socialist with redistribution on his mind.

    Joe stood there and listened, then countered, and at the very end had BHO drop the nugget that gave us insight to who Obama is. A socialist with redistribution of wealth as his game plan.

    Joe did what the press didn't want to do... in 5:27.

    We need more Joe's asking questions... the press largely having become cheerleaders for BHO, and abrogating their role as reporters in the process.

    Welcome Joe.

    He should have moderated at least one debate.
    Last edited by zimmer; 01-19-09 at 12:56 PM.

  8. #408
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Joe the Plumber to become war correspondent

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    Why don't you explain for us your idea of what the "wellfare state" is, so that we can properly discuss it? Please try and make it longer than 2 sentences if possible.
    As if you're capable...

    The Welfare state is...
    ....a political system based on the premise that the government (and not the individual, corporations, or the local community) has the responsibility for the well being of its citizens, by ensuring that a minimum standard of living is within everyone's reach. This commitment is translated into provision of universal and free education, universal medical care, insurance against disability, sickness, and unemployment, family allowances for income supplement, and old age pensions.

    ...a concept of government in which the state plays a key role in the protection and promotion of the economic and social well-being of its citizens. It is based on the principles of equality of opportunity, equitable distribution of wealth, and public responsibility for those unable to avail themselves of the minimal provisions for a good life.

    I ask again:
    Since you have a plenary opposition to the legislation of morality, you then oppose the welfare state -- right?

  9. #409
    Educator Leftist Protozoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    imperialist, un-Democratic USA
    Last Seen
    10-21-11 @ 07:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    709

    Re: Joe the Plumber to become war correspondent

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    He is the one guy who actually got BHO to reveal what he was about.

    A socialist with redistribution on his mind.
    You say that like there's something wrong with it.

    Sadly, Obama is not a Socialist. I wish he was, but he is not.

  10. #410
    Old Soul

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ND
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 11:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,915

    Re: Joe the Plumber to become war correspondent

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    Why don't you explain for us your idea of what the "wellfare state" is, so that we can properly discuss it? Please try and make it longer than 2 sentences if possible.
    Let me Google that for you.

Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •