Page 40 of 44 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 439

Thread: Joe the Plumber to become war correspondent

  1. #391
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Joe the Plumber to become war correspondent

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    That song has been running in my head every time I type up something on this absurd dancing ban.


    My main point has been that if the person still has a choice, ther right has not been removed. I think it gives teh minority viewpoint more freedom to allow them to do things that I personally disagree with.

    A better example than the dancing one being used isthat of prostitution.

    I still have the right to get a prostitute in this country without risk of being incarcerated for it, I just have to go to Nevada to do so.

    At the same time, I ALSO have the right to live in a prostitution-free evironment.

    If I want to live in the reverse environemnt, I simply have to move to Nevada, OR lobby to have my local rules changed.

    I can also choose to not take either of these stances (which is my personal choice at the moment).

    For me, this is more equivilant to the discussion at hand.
    I understand your logic here and I think it is well thought out on your behalf. I disagree with it though because dancing is a form of expression on par with speech. I have problem with say a church banning it in their church.

  2. #392
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Joe the Plumber to become war correspondent

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    I see what you are saying. But what if all localities ban dancing? Then what?
    I don't think it is possible for that to happen with any right. Even prostitution is legal in one state.

    Also, federal civil rights would trump any banning of black people after dark in a town too.
    I've already adressed how there cannot be rights granted to some but not others. If a town bans all people after dark, then they ban all people after dark. Tehy cannot discriminate based on color.

    But let's say you are on probation. You get permission to go to your sister's wedding in Mexico. You smoke some pot while down there. You come back and get drug tested by your probation officer. Your probabtion gets revoked for committing an action in another locality.
    Then you broke the law either way. The law is that while you are on probation you are not to smoke weed. Where you do it is irrelevant to the matter. In this case, the person is in violation of their probation, regardless of where it occurs.

    Now, if there were a drug test for all people returning from Amsterdam, and all people who tested positive were then charged with a crime, you'd have a comparitive issue.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  3. #393
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,200

    Re: Joe the Plumber to become war correspondent

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    How so? Let's say it were my morality to live in a region that bans abortion? Where can said person live in the US that allows them this right?
    You can move to one of the 35 countries that ban abortion?

    There are locations that don't perform abortions in this country. Wouldn't that satisfy that desire for all intents and purposes?
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  4. #394
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    02-13-09 @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,942

    Re: Joe the Plumber to become war correspondent

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Okay, I was watching Jon Stewart last nite, and Joe the War Correspondent actually said, "Hey guys, you want a story? Come here." When the press all approached him he told them, "I'm not the story."

    This guy is the real life asshat of the year.
    He's an asshat for playing the media out like that? LMAO!!

    He's not the story. Iraq is the story. And the mainstream media has decided to abandon reporting about it because, well, things have improved there. They cannot simply run the preferred narrative that Iraq is a quagmire, a total failure, or otherwise.

    Dude played the media folks as suckas.

  5. #395
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Joe the Plumber to become war correspondent

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    I understand your logic here and I think it is well thought out on your behalf. I disagree with it though because dancing is a form of expression on par with speech. I have problem with say a church banning it in their church.
    Dancing in a courtroom is illegal if the judge finds it to be contempt of court.

    That is the inroad to the logic as described. (Thank you for the compliment by the way.)
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #396
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Joe the Plumber to become war correspondent

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Dancing in a courtroom is illegal if the judge finds it to be contempt of court.

    That is the inroad to the logic as described. (Thank you for the compliment by the way.)
    Well that would like yelling fire in a crowded theater

  7. #397
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Joe the Plumber to become war correspondent

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    You can move to one of the 35 countries that ban abortion?
    The goal is to allow the freedom within this country, not force them outside of the country.

    There are locations that don't perform abortions in this country. Wouldn't that satisfy that desire for all intents and purposes?
    Yes. I believe it would so long as these places are allowed to prevent abortions from being performed within their boundries. But to my knowledge, should a clinic choose to set up shop anywhere within this country, they can do so. Thus, such a place cannot exist within this country, and freedom is infinged upon.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  8. #398
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Joe the Plumber to become war correspondent

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Well that would like yelling fire in a crowded theater
    Which means that, although a person is perfectly free to yell fire, they are limitted upon where they are able to do this.

    It opens up the argument that reasonable boundries can be created that limit certain forms of expression within those boundries.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #399
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Joe the Plumber to become war correspondent

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Which means that, although a person is perfectly free to yell fire, they are limitted upon where they are able to do this.

    It opens up the argument that reasonable boundries can be created that limit certain forms of expression within those boundries.
    Yeah I'm thinking tiddie bars. Down the road from me use to be tiddie bar row. They zoned them out as sexually oriented businesses. Odd thing is that stretch of Northwest Hwy has only gone down hill from there turning into a little crackville with tons of empty buildings.

  10. #400
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Joe the Plumber to become war correspondent

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Yeah I'm thinking tiddie bars. Down the road from me use to be tiddie bar row. They zoned them out as sexually oriented businesses. Odd thing is that stretch of Northwest Hwy has only gone down hill from there turning into a little crackville with tons of empty buildings.
    That's exactly the type of thing that I'm thinking about. Personally, I don't frequent titty bars myself, but I think people have a right to do so. I also think they have a right to live in a town free form titty bars.

    I would prefer not to live next door to a titty bar, especially if I had children.

    In order for me to support this personal right, I must in turn support similar personal rights which I may not agree with in nature, or else I am engaging in hypocrisy.

    That's the bitch about freedom. In order to guarantee as many freedoms as possible that I agree with, I must also be equally willing to support many freedoms which I personally find thoroughly objectionable (such as a local dancing ban).
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 40 of 44 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •