Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Bulgaria urges return to nuclear

  1. #11
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: Bulgaria urges return to nuclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    There are plenty of nuclear reactors waiting to be restarted instead of decommissioned. Thats the ONLY short term solution we have, as for medium term, Europe is steadily and have been for a long time increasing energy production in form of renewable sources, wave, sun and wind for example. The pace of this development will probably increase as a result of the Russian issue.

    Or then we actually have another alternative, economic sanctions. Europe is the greatest trade partner of Russia, and they would be strangled if we used to correct trade sanctions on them to get their act together.. But by doing so we would risk higher likelihood of war as Russian would be more and more desperate..
    If EU imposed sanctions, Russia may use that as justification to kick their ass.
    Last edited by TOJ; 01-07-09 at 07:51 PM.

  2. #12
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Bulgaria urges return to nuclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    There are plenty of nuclear reactors waiting to be restarted instead of decommissioned. Thats the ONLY short term solution we have, as for medium term, Europe is steadily and have been for a long time increasing energy production in form of renewable sources, wave, sun and wind for example. The pace of this development will probably increase as a result of the Russian issue.

    Or then we actually have another alternative, economic sanctions. Europe is the greatest trade partner of Russia, and they would be strangled if we used to correct trade sanctions on them to get their act together.. But by doing so we would risk higher likelihood of war as Russian would be more and more desperate..
    Then I guess they should start them up, shouldn't they?

    This entire issue stems from Russia refusing to deliver fuel. If they won't deliver, then Bulgaria will do what it has to do. If the EU doesn't want that to happen, they should offer Bulgaria a better option.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #13
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Bulgaria urges return to nuclear

    Quote Originally Posted by TOJ View Post
    If EU imposed sanctions, Russia may use that as justification to kick their ass.
    The likelyhood of war would still be low very low(almost non-existent), Russia would probably fall into an understanding with Europe if we put sanctions on them. But an increased risk of war is still a risk to assess in a total strategy.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  4. #14
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Bulgaria urges return to nuclear

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Then I guess they should start them up, shouldn't they?

    This entire issue stems from Russia refusing to deliver fuel. If they won't deliver, then Bulgaria will do what it has to do. If the EU doesn't want that to happen, they should offer Bulgaria a better option.
    Well.. I dont think anyone want to see such dangerous reactors being started up. its not wise of Bulgaria either its their asses on the line, their fallouts etc.
    There are lots of safer unused nuclear reactors in Europe, but the grid of Bulgaria is not well connected with the places where they are(France, Germany, UK for example).
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  5. #15
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Bulgaria urges return to nuclear

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Well.. I dont think anyone want to see such dangerous reactors being started up. its not wise of Bulgaria either its their asses on the line, their fallouts etc.
    There are lots of safer unused nuclear reactors in Europe, but the grid of Bulgaria is not well connected with the places where they are(France, Germany, UK for example).
    So what do you suggest they do?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  6. #16
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Bulgaria urges return to nuclear

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    So what do you suggest they do?
    I have no idea. Europe is working on a solution together. Most likely it will be threats-santctions type of stuff which will encourage Russia to put it back on and supply those countries in the Southeast of Europe with enough gas again. Or else, we would have to liquify supplies to northern Europe and transport them there or commission some safe decomissioned nuclear plants around Europe and transport the energy to the places that needs it somehow.. Increased use of coal is possible..

    I dont know what Europe is gonna do about this, but I certainly believe what I said in the start is the most likely solution and that Russia will bow under pressure.
    More importantly is the medium and long term solutions, and I think we are quite on track on those.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •