Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 162

Thread: Dems Usher in New Era of Dull Scandals

  1. #31
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    02-13-09 @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,942

    Re: Dems Usher in New Era of Dull Scandals

    Quote Originally Posted by shiznit770 View Post
    The Democratic party may be marred in scandals, but they didn't win on promises of hope and change. They won on the unpopularity of the incumbent president.
    Ahem...I don't recall the Democrats running on Bush's low approval ratings. The presidential campaign was premised explicitly on hope and change. That campaign had long coattails and was ridden far and wide by Democrats. Congressional Democrats were not running on a theme about how unpopular Bush was.

    Puhlease, Obama and the Democrats made hope and change the centerpiece of their 08 campaigns. Now that the Democrats cannot deliver on that promise you guys are engaged in a little historical revisionism to white-out that hope and change promise??

    Look, we ain't that dumb.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Dems Usher in New Era of Dull Scandals

    Quote Originally Posted by JMak View Post
    Ahem...I don't recall the Democrats running on Bush's low approval ratings. The presidential campaign was premised explicitly on hope and change. That campaign had long coattails and was ridden far and wide by Democrats. Congressional Democrats were not running on a theme about how unpopular Bush was.

    Puhlease, Obama and the Democrats made hope and change the centerpiece of their 08 campaigns. Now that the Democrats cannot deliver on that promise you guys are engaged in a little historical revisionism to white-out that hope and change promise??

    Look, we ain't that dumb.
    While the Democrats certainly took off and ran with the hope and change mantra, I don't think that's why they so overwhelmingly won. I think the major factor in that was the unpopularity of Bush and his policies. So people switched letter from R to D and came out in droves. There were the Obamanation folk, the ones who really bought into the hope and change (I think those people were fools, and really the one political group that really got under my skin) screaming about it all the time. But I think most were looking to get away from Bush and his policies. Too bad they just got more of the same in return.

    BTW, anyone hear about Obama maybe militarizing NASA?

    Jan. 2 (Bloomberg) -- President-elect Barack Obama will probably tear down long-standing barriers between the U.S.’s civilian and military space programs to speed up a mission to the moon amid the prospect of a new space race with China.

    Obama’s transition team is considering a collaboration between the Defense Department and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration because military rockets may be cheaper and ready sooner than the space agency’s planned launch vehicle, which isn’t slated to fly until 2015, according to people who’ve discussed the idea with the Obama team.

    The potential change comes as Pentagon concerns are rising over China’s space ambitions because of what is perceived as an eventual threat to U.S. defense satellites, the lofty battlefield eyes of the military.
    Obama Moves to Counter China With Pentagon-NASA Link - Yahoo! News

    Don't know how much of it is true or will come to fruition.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #33
    Professor
    shiznit770's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    07-08-10 @ 07:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,393

    Re: Dems Usher in New Era of Dull Scandals

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Interesting opinion, so you are saying Obama was a lesser of two evils and there is no cult of personality here?


    You don't remember obama campaigning on hope and change? Is this now thrown out the window because reality is setting in?
    Let me clarify. Your argument is unfocused and thus easily dismissed. You think that recent scandals in the democratic party are evidence of Obama rescinding on his promises. Since you won't coherently phrase your argument it is hopeless to respond to.

  4. #34
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    02-13-09 @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,942

    Re: Dems Usher in New Era of Dull Scandals

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Government loves war, it justifies their expansion of power and build up of their might.
    Hmmm, how does that apply to the US and the current wars in Iraq and Afghanistan? How has the government expanded it's power? Specifics, please, no partisan rhetoric about liberty being denied. And how has the government built up the military? Of course, it hasn't...but how do you think it has?

    That's why it was supposed to be restricted in the ways and reasons it could go to war.
    Huh? While I recognize that nations have agreed to how conduct war (see Geneva, for example), they didn't do so in order to check their own ambitions to expand their power or build up their military might. They did so because such agreements recognize long-established morals of fighting wars.

    Where do you get the idea that nations have agreed to restrictions on the reasons they choose to go to war? I don't know of any nation that subscribes to the idea that they have subjugated their sovereignty to any NGO, to the UN, or any other body. Do you?

    But we don't seem to care much for checks and balances and the Constitution these days.
    We don't?

    It seems to me that the reigning argument nowadays is that Congress or the Courts should be supreme in order to check a President they hate. And this depends on the individual's policy preferences. If you're pro-abortion you want the Courts to be a superior branch to be the final arbiter of what is constitutional and to invent and protect new rights that you find preferable. If you're anti-war you demand that Congress be superior and conduct non-stop, over-arching investigations of whatever it wants to within the Executive Branch.

    I have faith in the concept of separation of powers and checks and balances, but it seems to me that liberals and Democrats hate both concepts currently. And most likely becuase both concepts limit their ability to reign in the branches they need to in order to realize their policy preferences.

    War is Peace
    What pop culture rubbish this is. No wonder our younger generations do not deserve our respect.

  5. #35
    Professor
    shiznit770's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    07-08-10 @ 07:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,393

    Re: Dems Usher in New Era of Dull Scandals

    Quote Originally Posted by JMak View Post
    Ahem...I don't recall the Democrats running on Bush's low approval ratings. The presidential campaign was premised explicitly on hope and change. That campaign had long coattails and was ridden far and wide by Democrats. Congressional Democrats were not running on a theme about how unpopular Bush was.

    Puhlease, Obama and the Democrats made hope and change the centerpiece of their 08 campaigns. Now that the Democrats cannot deliver on that promise you guys are engaged in a little historical revisionism to white-out that hope and change promise??

    Look, we ain't that dumb.
    So because democrat candidates used his catch phrase and are now involved in scandals, Obama's a liar?

  6. #36
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    02-13-09 @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,942

    Re: Dems Usher in New Era of Dull Scandals

    Quote Originally Posted by shiznit770 View Post
    So because democrat candidates used his catch phrase and are now involved in scandals, Obama's a liar?
    Who the hell said or even suggested that?

    You're being foolish and absurd.

    I was merely disagreeing with your suggestion that the Democrats didn't, in fact, run on a campaign theme of hope and change.

    Were you that embarrassed that you felt compelled to draw such an absurd conclusion from my comments?

    Just foolish!

  7. #37
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Dems Usher in New Era of Dull Scandals

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    Thank you. The guy hasn't even taken office yet, and these people (Ikari and Reverend) are alleging that no change will occur in the next 4 years. Nice.
    Actually, there should be change... 8 years of false scandals and BS (Valerie Plame anyone?) will be replaced with real corruption. Imagine that.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  8. #38
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Dems Usher in New Era of Dull Scandals

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Do you think Obama is doing the best with what is available, or is he screwing the pooch early here due to inexperience? only time will tell.....
    Obama is JAFLD. He's no different than any of the FLD that came before him.

    And, naturally, his supporters will give him a pass on everything.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Dems Usher in New Era of Dull Scandals

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Surprise, surprise. You didn't think they would somehow be different than Republicans, did you?
    They are hardly different; they are far worse, but in your world, you willingly swallow the disinformation produced by the mainstream media about how corrupt Republicans are without any evidence to substantiate such claims.


  10. #40
    Professor
    shiznit770's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    07-08-10 @ 07:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,393

    Re: Dems Usher in New Era of Dull Scandals

    Quote Originally Posted by JMak View Post
    Who the hell said or even suggested that?

    You're being foolish and absurd.

    I was merely disagreeing with your suggestion that the Democrats didn't, in fact, run on a campaign theme of hope and change.

    Were you that embarrassed that you felt compelled to draw such an absurd conclusion from my comments?

    Just foolish!
    Don't act so offended, If you would have left off your last two paragraphs it would have been a just point. Instead you added your partisan rant which I responded in like kind to. Your mock outrage is duly noted.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •