Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 86

Thread: Charity homes built by Hollywood start to crumble

  1. #1
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    05-13-11 @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,075
    Blog Entries
    3

    Charity homes built by Hollywood start to crumble

    Link
    Charity homes built by Hollywood start to crumble - Times Online

    Quote
    (RESIDENTS of a model housing estate bankrolled by Hollywood celebrities and hand-built by Jimmy Carter, the former US president, are complaining that it is falling apart.)

    This you see typifies what happens whenever a Democrat becomes involved with something that is 'supposed' to help a community.
    Instead of building something that will endure, they build for the short term with the highest cost.
    Their premise seems to be, "be grateful for what we are giving you."
    As an aside they whisper " let someone else pick up the cost of our mess".

  2. #2
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Charity homes built by Hollywood start to crumble

    Quote Originally Posted by jujuman13 View Post
    Link
    Charity homes built by Hollywood start to crumble - Times Online

    Quote
    (RESIDENTS of a model housing estate bankrolled by Hollywood celebrities and hand-built by Jimmy Carter, the former US president, are complaining that it is falling apart.)

    This you see typifies what happens whenever a Democrat becomes involved with something that is 'supposed' to help a community.
    Instead of building something that will endure, they build for the short term with the highest cost.
    Their premise seems to be, "be grateful for what we are giving you."
    As an aside they whisper " let someone else pick up the cost of our mess".
    What? Democrat/Liberal Good intentions and well meaning with lots of media panning out to be complete trash? No one taking responsibility?

    Tell me it ain't so!
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  3. #3
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nashville/Little Mexico Tennessee
    Last Seen
    06-02-09 @ 12:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    523

    Re: Charity homes built by Hollywood start to crumble

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    What? Democrat/Liberal Good intentions and well meaning with lots of media panning out to be complete trash? No one taking responsibility?

    Tell me it ain't so!
    "Give a deadbeat a loaf of bread and he will eat for a day(and wait for more tomorrow),give him a house and he won`t lift a finger to maintain it,and it will fall down. OK you got me...it is what it is,shody construction.

  4. #4
    Old Soul

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ND
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 11:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,915

    Re: Charity homes built by Hollywood start to crumble

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    "Give a deadbeat a loaf of bread and he will eat for a day(and wait for more tomorrow),give him a house and he won`t lift a finger to maintain it,and it will fall down. OK you got me...it is what it is,shody construction.
    let's all throw some rotten fruit at carter and the celebrities for having the audacity to give poor people houses that don't smell nice.

    I mean really, someone please sue them.


    Some residents dismiss their neighbours’ worries. Diennal Fields, 51, said people did not know how to look after their homes: “It’s simple stuff: if there is mildew, don’t get a lawyer, get a bottle of bleach.”

  5. #5
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Charity homes built by Hollywood start to crumble

    Quote Originally Posted by emdash View Post
    let's all throw some rotten fruit at carter and the celebrities for having the audacity to give poor people houses that don't smell nice.

    I mean really, someone please sue them.
    HHAHAA You're sad. They built them craptastic homes that are falling apart, typical liberal mindset "Hey their intentions were good, what's wrong with these people?"
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  6. #6
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Charity homes built by Hollywood start to crumble

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    HHAHAA You're sad. They built them craptastic homes that are falling apart, typical liberal mindset "Hey their intentions were good, what's wrong with these people?"
    I agree that something was wrong about building on top of a rubbish heap.

    What, specifically, is shoddy about the construction? Mildew is caused by what, exactly? Rotting door frames are caused by what flaw in the construction?

    As to the question of whether the celebs knew that what they were doing was shoddy and went ahead with it anyway, for the publicity, is quite a leap.

    Do you feel superior to them now, because what they did turned out badly? I am just wondering about your glee. Are you happy these people's homes are falling apart?

    Just guessing, but I am quite certain that Jimmy Carter isn't.

  7. #7
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: Charity homes built by Hollywood start to crumble

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    "Give a deadbeat a loaf of bread and he will eat for a day(and wait for more tomorrow),give him a house and he won`t lift a finger to maintain it,and it will fall down. OK you got me...it is what it is,shody construction.
    Yes, yes, we've all heard the old saw, “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.” (--Terry Pratchett)


    Or was it something to do with fish?

  8. #8
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Charity homes built by Hollywood start to crumble

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    I agree that something was wrong about building on top of a rubbish heap.

    What, specifically, is shoddy about the construction? Mildew is caused by what, exactly? Rotting door frames are caused by what flaw in the construction?

    As to the question of whether the celebs knew that what they were doing was shoddy and went ahead with it anyway, for the publicity, is quite a leap.

    Do you feel superior to them now, because what they did turned out badly? I am just wondering about your glee. Are you happy these people's homes are falling apart?

    Just guessing, but I am quite certain that Jimmy Carter isn't.
    No, I'm sad for them. But I think this is a great real life example of Liberals in Action.

    Do something that feels good, make a big show of it, when it goes wrong act shocked, get upset at the people complaining who were helped and look to government to fix the problem.

    THAT'S the funny part, "progressivism" in action. Shoddy for show work.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  9. #9
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: Charity homes built by Hollywood start to crumble

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    What, specifically, is shoddy about the construction? Mildew is caused by what, exactly? Rotting door frames are caused by what flaw in the construction?
    Mildew: poor vapor seals and poor materials.
    Rotting door frames: probably the use of untreated (cheap) wood.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    As to the question of whether the celebs knew that what they were doing was shoddy and went ahead with it anyway, for the publicity, is quite a leap.
    They may have cared desperately, which says good things about their character. They were unqualified, inexperienced, and dare I say, "unvetted." (Can you spot the hidden political lesson?)

    You have heard of the surface construction qualities of the road to Hell, yes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    Do you feel superior to them now, because what they did turned out badly? I am just wondering about your glee. Are you happy these people's homes are falling apart?

    Now?!
    Good grief no. Ive been certain of my superiority for a very long time, and hardly needed this latest fiasco to reinforce my opinion.

    I am mildly amused that the people in question appear to be incapable of even minor home repair. I also have a bit of trouble getting worked up over the fact that they must deal with intrusive rodents and insects, when I must consider what to do if a bear decides to investigate my house-- a not uncommon occurrence here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    Just guessing, but I am quite certain that Jimmy Carter isn't.
    Jimmy Carter may well blame in all on a Zionist Conspiracy.
    Last edited by Oftencold; 01-04-09 at 10:45 PM.

  10. #10
    Old Soul

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ND
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 11:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,915

    Re: Charity homes built by Hollywood start to crumble

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    HHAHAA You're sad. They built them craptastic homes that are falling apart, typical liberal mindset "Hey their intentions were good, what's wrong with these people?"
    I'm sorry, were these people better off before? what did they really expect, houses that require no maintenance or care? they live in FLORIDA and they're complaining that it's DAMP? oh my gosh it smells like garbage, I'd rather be homeless.

    habitat for humanity's intentions were good, and what is wrong with these people that they are SUING because their free **** isn't good enough? did they pay for these houses? did they buy at full market value under false pretenses?

    I'm about as conservative as they come, MrVicchio, and I thought this was what we all wanted--voluntary charities instead of gov't programs. I think carter is a fool but I'm glad he does what he does.

    the only thing wrong with charity, federal or private, is that it leads to scenarios like this, where beggars get choosy. until these people are building or buying their own houses, they should be pretty freaking thankful that someone like jimmy carter exists.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •