Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 50

Thread: A New Cigarette Hazard: ‘Third-Hand Smoke’

  1. #11
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,489

    Re: A New Cigarette Hazard: ‘Third-Hand Smoke’

    The idea of third hand smoke is plausable but the conclusion seems pretty one sided or dramatic if you will.

    Fact: pollutants are in the air and cause a hazard.
    Fact: Pollutants are in the water and cause a hazard.
    Fact: Crispy Bacon can cause cancer.

    No matter who you are you are going to come in contact with something that is harmful to you. Sitting around being paranoid about 2nd hand or 3rd hand smoke is silly.

  2. #12
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nashville/Little Mexico Tennessee
    Last Seen
    06-02-09 @ 12:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    523

    Re: A New Cigarette Hazard: ‘Third-Hand Smoke’

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/03/he...3smoke.html?em

    Very interesting. Thoughts?

    (Before people post something about how smoking is evil and should be a crime or how this is fascism seeking to take away your constitutional right to smoke a boge in your own house, take a second to realize that this isn't a political issue, it's a scientific one).
    Well I`ll be DAMNED...not one other thing in the modern/fully synthetic home needs attention...hmmm.

  3. #13
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: A New Cigarette Hazard: ‘Third-Hand Smoke’

    In the grand scheme of things and what's really hazardous to human health this is small potatoes. I'm certainly not going to worry about it or stop kissing my boyfriend when he comes in from smoking his cig outside.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  4. #14
    Phoenecian
    Indy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    03-22-13 @ 04:36 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,089

    Re: A New Cigarette Hazard: ‘Third-Hand Smoke’

    I'd be shocked if these particles caused anything more than bad breath or smell. At this point it seems like hysteria to me.
    Affiant further sayeth not.

  5. #15
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,260

    Re: A New Cigarette Hazard: ‘Third-Hand Smoke’

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    I'd be shocked if these particles caused anything more than bad breath or smell. At this point it seems like hysteria to me.



    If your cigarette is giving ME bad breath, we gotta talk.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    08-26-09 @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    676

    Re: A New Cigarette Hazard: ‘Third-Hand Smoke’

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    I'd be shocked if these particles caused anything more than bad breath or smell. At this point it seems like hysteria to me.
    So the newspaper piece citing scientific examination is wrong and you know this intuitively without one iota of science to support you? Logical.

  7. #17
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,260

    Re: A New Cigarette Hazard: ‘Third-Hand Smoke’

    Quote Originally Posted by Family Guy View Post
    So the newspaper piece citing scientific examination is wrong and you know this intuitively without one iota of science to support you? Logical.


    what scientific examination was that exactly?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  8. #18
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: A New Cigarette Hazard: ‘Third-Hand Smoke’

    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    08-26-09 @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    676

    Re: A New Cigarette Hazard: ‘Third-Hand Smoke’

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    what scientific examination was that exactly?
    If you had bothered to read the story associated with the opening post you would already know, wouldn't you? It's not a long piece perhaps you'll take a moment and read it before injecting your point of view?
    Doctors from Mass General Hospital for Children in Boston coined the term “third-hand smoke” to describe these chemicals in a new study that focused on the risks they pose to infants and children. The study was published in this month’s issue of the journal Pediatrics.
    And this too. Let me guess you don't consider Mass General and Harvard Medical School as legitimate scientific institutions?
    “Everyone knows that second-hand smoke is bad, but they don’t know about this,” said Dr. Jonathan P. Winickoff, the lead author of the study and an assistant professor of pediatrics at Harvard Medical School.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/03/he...e.html?_r=1&em

  10. #20
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,260

    Re: A New Cigarette Hazard: ‘Third-Hand Smoke’

    Quote Originally Posted by Family Guy View Post
    If you had bothered to read the story associated with the opening post you would already know, wouldn't you? It's not a long piece perhaps you'll take a moment and read it before injecting your point of view?

    And this too. Let me guess you don't consider Mass General and Harvard Medical School as legitimate scientific institutions?

    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/03/he...e.html?_r=1&em



    I read the story. you fail again.


    I find a blurb, and some dubious nonsense about some study suspect to say the least.



    Tell me what are the known "safe levels" of ETS?



    And also if you do a little more research on this junk science, they also state that breast feeding is still better than bottle feeding.... given thier "logic" one would assume that breast milk from a smoker poses some risks, or is it only microparticles on the couch?


    Junk science for the lunatic fringe to glom onto......
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •