Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 329

Thread: 9 Muslim Passengers Removed From Jet

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    08-26-09 @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    676

    Re: 9 Muslim Passengers Removed From Jet

    Quote Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post

    If Muslim want to avoid this sort of thing, perhaps they should indicate by deed instead of merely by word that they oppose terrorism.
    What do you mean? These were American citizens, almost half of which were children 7 and under. Two were professionals; a doctor and a lawyer. They said nothing wrong, they did nothing wrong...they were the victims of bigotry and prejudice and the airline itself was even worse about it and truly treated them like criminals.

  2. #62
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: 9 Muslim Passengers Removed From Jet

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    See, all I would need to motivate me to lock my doors in a darkened parking lot is the "intentive" look on the guy's face, no matter skin colour.

    In any even, besides being Muslim, there were no other reason to raise alarm bells in this case, as being Muslim alone is not good enough of a reason. What the heck happened to common sense?
    OK, let me obliterate this for you.

    If you are a black American, and I just happen to like wearing pointy white hooded masks with flowing white robes, does common sense not urge you to a certain caution, even discomfort, perhaps a quick review of your second amendment rights if I show up on your doorstep one night?

    I mean I might just want directions to the Interstate. I might.


    What about this. Assume that you are Jewish. Myself and the fellows from my bodybuilding club want to collect money for foreign children suffering from cancer. To show solidarity with the kids, we have shaved out heads.

    Since the charity is headquartered in India, we proudly display their symbol, which is thousands of years old, the Eastern Swastika. Now how do you feel about running into us in the Mall? I'd just imagine that you'd make some pretty unfair and unkind assumptions.

    In neither case, would I blame you a bit for apprehension, calling the police or being terrified.

    And frankly, I wouldn't believe you if you said that either situation would leave you unfazed.

  3. #63
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,458
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 9 Muslim Passengers Removed From Jet

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    You argument rests on the notion that it is possible to be completely rational about race at all times. While I applaud your sentiment, and believe that we must always work toward that ideal, it is perhaps foolishness to believe you have accomplished it. At least in the context where so many lives can be at stake.
    You are right, it's impossible for all to be completely rational about this. No one fully understands everything, let alone what it's like to be in someone else's shoes. And because if this, abuses will happen. It's a part of life, I guess.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  4. #64
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: 9 Muslim Passengers Removed From Jet

    Quote Originally Posted by Family Guy View Post
    What do you mean? These were American citizens, almost half of which were children 7 and under. Two were professionals; a doctor and a lawyer. They said nothing wrong, they did nothing wrong...they were the victims of bigotry and prejudice and the airline itself was even worse about it and truly treated them like criminals.
    If you like.

  5. #65
    Sage
    bhkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    08-13-10 @ 01:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: 9 Muslim Passengers Removed From Jet

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    I agree. However, my intent was to not compare, and play the "who committed the worst offenses" game in the name of religion, but to simply put things into perspective. It's easy to condemn things we have little clue about, and I think most of us here have basic knowledge of the Koran, if any. We don't hear much about the Muslims who want nothing more than a peaceful life, but I do know a few. And some who are deeply religious.

    Bottom line, I put myself in the shoes of that family that got kicked off of the plane. Think about the injustice they feel. The embarrassment, let alone the delayed vacation that most likely will be ruined.
    Not to mention the extra expense. And that's saying nothing of the animosities that are built which may make a moderate into a radical.

    But that points out that there are always, among any group of Muslims, a small number of radicals who act to seduce, induce, intimidate, foment, organize, probe and provoke and recruit new Jihadists. They will pounce on this latest incident and create more new revolutionaries who you will defend.

    OBL 11/24/02

  6. #66
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,458
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 9 Muslim Passengers Removed From Jet

    Quote Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
    OK, let me obliterate this for you.

    If you are a black American, and I just happen to like wearing pointy white hooded masks with flowing white robes, does common sense not urge you to a certain caution, even discomfort, perhaps a quick review of your second amendment rights if I show up on your doorstep one night?

    I mean I might just want directions to the Interstate. I might.


    What about this. Assume that you are Jewish. Myself and the fellows from my bodybuilding club want to collect money for foreign children suffering from cancer. To show solidarity with the kids, we have shaved out heads.

    Since the charity is headquartered in India, we proudly display their symbol, which is thousands of years old, the Eastern Swastika. Now how do you feel about running into us in the Mall? I'd just imagine that you'd make some pretty unfair and unkind assumptions.

    In neither case, would I blame you a bit for apprehension, calling the police or being terrified.

    And frankly, I wouldn't believe you if you said that either situation would leave you unfazed.
    So are you saying that Muslims should not utter the word "security" when they fly?
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    08-26-09 @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    676

    Re: 9 Muslim Passengers Removed From Jet

    Quote Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
    When was the last time you heard of a bunch of Hasidim or Seventh Day Adventists blowing up so much as a disused Porta-Potty?

    On the other hand how many times have we been treated to internet videos of abject savages slowly cutting off the heads of bound, screaming prisoners while chanting Allah Akbar?

    Do try and pay attention to the world around you, it will teach you so much if you just open your eyes!
    Uhm...these were Americans not Iraqis or Pakistanis. They are American. They were born and raised here. Since when does any American have to take a loyalty oath to get on an airplane?

    The only reason they were taken off the plane is because they were Muslim. Nothing else they did justifies the result, nothing. To accept this as OK is to accept bigotry in America and I won't do that.

  8. #68
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: 9 Muslim Passengers Removed From Jet

    It's pretty sad that our paranoia and fear has come to this. I think we should collectively be taking some deep breaths and calming down. There's going to be Muslims out there, even in this country, doesn't make them terrorists. Most of us will never meet a terrorist at all. The FBI had cleared up the misunderstanding and I don't think the family was allowed on another plane, even after the misunderstanding had been cleared. It's ridiculous, on some level it feels like we're living back in fear of witches or something. Half surprised we haven't burned anyone at the stake.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    08-26-09 @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    676

    Re: 9 Muslim Passengers Removed From Jet

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Common Sense is what raised the alarm.
    Common sense you say? Please explain what the common sense was? I'm curious if you think their garb and beards are enough to "raise the alarm of common sense"?

  10. #70
    Sage
    gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    uk
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,365

    Re: 9 Muslim Passengers Removed From Jet

    Quote Originally Posted by Family Guy View Post
    I think it's also important to consider that a true terrorist would most likely not dress in traditional Muslim garb and bring attention to themselves if they were plotting evil
    Unfortunately the Authorities are damed if they do, damed if they dont. Muslims are known to use "Traditional dress" as a disguise, so NO stone must be left unturned.

    '21 July bombers planned London carnage' - Crime, UK - The Independent

    "When the bombs failed to explode, one fled London disguised as a Muslim woman in a burka."

    Paul.
    RIP THE EUROPEAN FORUM 2016

Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •