Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 180

Thread: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

  1. #21
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    A better, more plausible, alternative is that this community may just be becoming more aware of health related issues, while other communities may not. There may be a growing fad toward healthy behavior in this community, which led to the smoking ban, and which also led independently to the reduction in heart attacks.
    What you suggest is certainly more plausible, this is true. I assert, however, that given the facts presented my interpretation is also possible.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    There may be multiple factors at work here, of which a smoking ban may or may not play a role. Not all variables have been controlled.
    Exactly. This is the difficulty of presenting evidence which is not actual evidence as if it proved something when it does not in fact prove squat.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  2. #22
    Professor
    Marilyn Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    03-06-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,137

    Re: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So if a majority of a business's customers are allergic to a certain type of perfume, the government should be able to ban it? It's a public safety issue and their customer's health is at risk. Businesses are their to serve others but they should also be allowed to run their business the way they want to within the law, and last I checked cigarettes are still legal. For instance you say they have to take in all of their customers not just a few, for lots of businesses it's the other way around. Most of their customers are smokers and a few are not. So they now have to accomodate their few customers instead of the majority because of a law that forces them to.
    First off your example isn't the usual. Most people aren't allergic to perfume, but if someone came in doused with a smelly substance it would be up to management to seat them as far away from the other customer's as is possible, or politely ask them to leave because their fragrance wasn't pleasing, and it was interfering with other patrons dining experience. Losing one person as opposed to many would be up to the business owner.

    The laws have been changed all over saying you can't smoke inside buildings. It's no longer legal to light up just anywhere you feel like it. Smokers are aware. The laws are the laws. Businesses can not run their businesses anyway they want to. There are many laws in regards to all sorts of things that businesses have to follow.
    "It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens." Woody Allen.

  3. #23
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    link



    Of course, I have been called an anti-smoking Nazi or other such things, but I will not tolerate those who will force their poison on me.

    No one should be allowed to smoke in public places, or in places where children are forced to be (ie schools, homes with children or cars with children as passengers.)

    Taiwan is nine days away from relatively strict anti-smoking laws coming into effect. I, for one, am going to celebrate January 11, 2009 as a day of liberation from smokers who have no regard for the rights or health of non-smokers.
    It's okay to deny others their liberty if it's for a good cause. Obviously this study proves out everything and we should take it as holy writ!

    Let's all celebrate the day Liberty was denied!
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  4. #24
    Professor
    Marilyn Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    03-06-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,137

    Re: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I hate all the infringements onto private property that these laws make. Smoking is legal, so it should be allowed wherever the property owner thinks is appropriate.
    Smoking isn't entirely legal, and hasn't been without restrictions since the '60's.

    There are many substances that are only partially legal, and cigarettes are one of them. Alcohol is in the same boat with cigarettes to a degree, not just everybody can serve it. Restaurants have all sorts of regulations because they serve food. Can't do whatever they please. Really, we have laws, rules, and regulations all over the place, mostly for safety.

    I believe that cigarettes would be outlawed, but the government can't do it cause there are still so many who smoke. This would make them criminals, so they've been tip-toeing around it for many years. There is revenue made from them too, but I don't think that's why it's still legal it's more because of the addicting properties of it, and so many just can't kick the habit.

    I'd like to see a safe cigarette, but apparently it can't be done.
    "It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens." Woody Allen.

  5. #25
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,748

    Re: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    link



    Of course, I have been called an anti-smoking Nazi or other such things, but I will not tolerate those who will force their poison on me.

    No one should be allowed to smoke in public places, or in places where children are forced to be (ie schools, homes with children or cars with children as passengers.)

    Taiwan is nine days away from relatively strict anti-smoking laws coming into effect. I, for one, am going to celebrate January 11, 2009 as a day of liberation from smokers who have no regard for the rights or health of non-smokers.
    Bully for those who wish to live in a city where the government nanny rules. If someone wants to smoke, it's their business and not the government's, unless the smoker is causing non-smokers to breath his smoke. Here, it looks like the Nazis DID take over.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  6. #26
    User Allusionation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Inver Grove Heights, MN
    Last Seen
    01-29-10 @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    84

    Re: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Monroe View Post
    I believe that cigarettes would be outlawed, but the government can't do it cause there are still so many who smoke. This would make them criminals, so they've been tip-toeing around it for many years.
    Isn't Obama a closet smoker? I can't see him taking up the issue if he's lighting up too.
    Sen. Clare McCaskill (D-MO) said on Wednesday that Joe Biden "has a tendency to talk forever and sometimes say things that are kind of stupid." She seemed to regret her own words, saying, "I was probably having a Joe Biden moment myself."

  7. #27
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Monroe View Post
    I believe that cigarettes would be outlawed, but the government can't do it cause there are still so many who smoke. This would make them criminals, so they've been tip-toeing around it for many years. There is revenue made from them too, but I don't think that's why it's still legal it's more because of the addicting properties of it, and so many just can't kick the habit.
    I think it's got a lot more to do with the following:

    • Tobacco is still a cash crop
    • Both the growers and the cigarette makers have a lot of money to throw around
    • Various state governments (like NY, for example) have figured out that taxing tobacco is a great revenue generator


    In New York, for example, cigarette tax money is used to fund health care programs for low-income children and adults.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  8. #28
    Global Moderator
    Silent Bob for President!

    RedAkston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,797
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Holy crap.

    We agree.

    Crap, the end-times are coming!

    I believe the end times are coming (and I believe the election of Obama will move this forward), but it has absolutely nothing to do with us agreeing, although it is nice to see!
    Welfare (Food Stamps, WIC, etc...) are not entitlements. They are taxpayer funded handouts and shouldn't be called entitlements at all. Social Security and Veteran's benefits are 'Entitlements' because the people receiving them are entitled to them. They were earned and paid for by the recipients.

  9. #29
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by P/N View Post
    And if anyone is going to respond to my post, please provide an example of second hand smoke being forced on someone. But since you can't because one does not exist, I don't expect any responses at the same time.
    1. Growing up, my parents forced second hand smoke on me nearly every day of my childhood.

    2. I worked for a company a few years ago that required its employees to attend a monthly working lunch. While smoking was prohibited in the workplace, it wasn't (at that time) prohibited in the restaurant. My boss (despite the fact that NO ONE else lighted up), choose to smoke, blowing his smoke everyone in the room when we were having our working lunch.

    3. Many times, I have been in a public place, minding my own business, when a smoker would come, sit next to me and light up. He was forcing his poison on me.

    4. Once when I was a grad students at the University of Georgia, I was working on an essay in the computer lab when a girl (fat and ugly) sat next to me REEKING of cigarette smoke. It was absolutely disgusting.

    This is only a FEW instances where smokers showed a lack of respect for the rights of me as a non-smoker. I am so much looking forward to the new laws taking effect here next Sunday. I will report ANY place I see not enforcing the law to the local authorities.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  10. #30
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Smoking ban leads to major drop in heart attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    Just waiting for those who defend the government forcing people who are smoking a legal substance to only smoke where they say it's okay to smoke it to show up in this thread. Oh wait, you freedom haters are already here.

    The government places restrictions on a LARGE NUMBER of legal substances.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •